Asus GTX 470/480 to increase performance by 50% via Voltage Tweaking!

Ryeong

4148811286.jpg

4164418974.jpg

This is really amazing! By Tweaking the voltages they achived 50% performance increase, without touching the clocks!

In other words. If GTX 480 is supposedly 5-15% faster than HD 5870, this will result in an 55-65% performance over 5870.. Also, becouse the clocks are untouched we can still overclock. Let's say that we overclock 5-10%, then we are up to a total of 60-75% increase over 5870.

At that point, i believe 480 can take on 5970 to an certain extent.

I know this is just mere speculations. But, for some reason i find this very possible.

Discuss.

funkysnair

VIP Member
here comes the build up to the launch...

i will belive it when i see it, if it is true then good on them-but if this is some kinda hype to take the focus off ati then thats kinda sad!

where is your source for this info?

Ryeong

here comes the build up to the launch...

i will belive it when i see it, if it is true then good on them-but if this is some kinda hype to take the focus off ati then thats kinda sad!

where is your source for this info?

http://vr-zone.com/forums/589756/asus-gtx-480-and-gtx-470-boxes.html For the pics

Asus stated back in 11th march that they would buy GTX 470/480's, so it is very possible..

Also, yea.. Only official releases can reveal the truth. But i have high hopes... There are currently XFX and Asus, (possibly power color too) that are making third-party versions of this card so far...

G25r8cer

We have been hearing this kinda crap for the past 3-4months

Come on Nvidia get your crap together and release a dx11 card already!!

We were supposed to see one before the end of last year

funkysnair

VIP Member
its all hype and no action, its getting boring....

even if nvidia does release there cards and they are all they promise there prices will be stupid

Gabe63

I will buy one if they come out just to try it. Like my 3 year old says, come on come on. I am dying for competition, there is none right now. I do not hold a lot of hope that the card will be all that but I hope i am wrong.

Last edited:

Ryeong

I don't think it means 50% better just from increasing voltage. Thats kinda impossible anyway.

Wrong. It is possible to achieve such high improvements by teaking the voltages.. But, it comes with a cost. Higher Watt's..

87dtna

Wrong. It is possible to achieve such high improvements by teaking the voltages.. But, it comes with a cost. Higher Watt's..

Umm, how exactly does that work? I can crank the voltage on my CPU and it will use more watts too, but not have any improvement whatsoever on performance.

Ryeong

Umm, how exactly does that work? I can crank the voltage on my CPU and it will use more watts too, but not have any improvement whatsoever on performance.

It's a mixture of hardware voltage tweaking and overvoltaging. So, overvoltaging might only help 3% but the rest is done by hand. They open the GPU and develop on it. I don't know how they was able to achieve this, nor if it's going to be released in a while either. It's up to the market whether they will be allowed to release this at once or if they have to way a cuple of days.

Keep in mind that there are marketing laws, otherwhise people could release super overclocked cards with the same price. This is unethical for the competitors..

There has been done several attempts with voltage tweaking in the past, but keep in mind that this "fermi" is originally comming from Tesla. And tesla is easy to develop, tweak, overclock etc.. It's a super GPU. So, im not really surpised.

Heck, i expect it to be at least one huge surprise at PAX in 4 days! - This hopefully being one of them.

just a noob

It's a mixture of hardware voltage tweaking and overvoltaging. So, overvoltaging might only help 3% but the rest is done by hand. They open the GPU and develop on it. I don't know how they was able to achieve this, nor if it's going to be released in a while either. It's up to the market whether they will be allowed to release this at once or if they have to way a cuple of days.

Keep in mind that there are marketing laws, otherwhise people could release super overclocked cards with the same price. This is unethical for the competitors..

There has been done several attempts with voltage tweaking in the past, but keep in mind that this "fermi" is originally comming from Tesla. And tesla is easy to develop, tweak, overclock etc.. It's a super GPU. So, im not really surpised.

Heck, i expect it to be at least one huge surprise at PAX in 4 days! - This hopefully being one of them.

overvolting doesn't just magically increase your clocks, I can't set my I7 for 1.9V, and expect it to be at 5.5ghz, second, Fermi isn't coming from Tesla, they're both derived from the same GF100 chip, also, the reason why they don't all have super overclocked cards is, this chip is already at 300watts of tdp stock, I'm also guessing that all reference cards will have voltera regulators, so they can all be controlled by software

Twist86

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of...you don't gain speed by simply voltage increases if so we wouldn't have to overclock our processors. This is just Nvidia hyping up their 6 month late card and idiots are falling for it.

Ryeong

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of...you don't gain speed by simply voltage increases if so we wouldn't have to overclock our processors. This is just Nvidia hyping up their 6 month late card and idiots are falling for it.

Everything is stupid if you don't reread what i previously wrote. They are not overvoltaging, they are teaking the hardware manually by hand. They open the hardware and find ways to improve it, pretty much like many companies does with their tesla cards.. And becouse "fermi" = "tesla" in many ways, this is very possible.

I'll say, wait a cuple of days after PAX too see more third-party companies release custom builds.

A lot of GPU's are being held back becouse of marketing restrictions.. Just look at Asus Matrix GTX 285.. an overclock margin of 330%!! (Link beneath)

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/scan_gtx_285_gc_promo_uk.html

So, why didn't they release similar cards earlier? becouse of the market.. They say that 480 will be around 499. But that's only nvidias suggestion.. in fact, it's the retailers that decide what they want to buy the card for.. so, heck we might see a decrease to around 400-450 dollars for 480 if the retailers decide so.. who knows? It's only 4 days until nvidia releases their "normal" fermi cards..

I will buy a 480. But from XFX, ASUS or some other third party company instead... They tend to be better, at least in my opinion..