audio service is not running

peter912

I hit windows + R, Windows audio- Start up- automatic-ok-restart and still no computer sounds . What should I do ? I have sound if I want to play a video but no computer sounds on start up .

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What does this look like? Do you have play windows startup sound checked?

startup sound.jpg

You may also want to edit your options here.

power settings.jpg

Try disabling everything under shutdown settings, click on save changes and then reenable turn on fast startup. Mine didn't work either and that is what I just did to fix it. Even though its not a necessity that I have a startup sound.

Last edited:

peter912

I think that it might be working now because I had sound when I restarted the computer . Windows Audio is set on startup automatic

I spoke too soon because it has reverted back to the way it was before and once again the audio service is not running

Through some online investigation, I found out that that Microsoft, disabled the startup sound by default for windows 10

Last edited:

peter912

That annoying little x, in a red circle, on the speaker icon in the bottom right-hand corner ,is back again . What does it want me to do ? Should I just ignore it ? Doing a windows update did not get rid of it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is listed under sound, video and game controllers in device manager? Sounds like you don't have the correct sound driver installed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Need a little more information. What specific motherboard do you have if this is a custom built pc or what model of pc do you have if this is store bought?

I don't think the driver software is correctly installed, I think the following is what they should actually say.

AMD Streaming Audio Device should say AMD High Definition Audio or AMD HDMI Audio This will be the hdmi port on the video
High Definition Audio Device should say something more specific Would need more information on the vendor and device id numbers.
Realtek Audio should say something more specific. This is most likely the onboard audio but would need the vendor and device id numbers.

What device are you using for sound output? You can find this out by right clicking on the speaker icon down by the clock and click on sounds then the playback tab. Check to see what has the green checkmark on it.

peter912

Need a little more information. What specific motherboard do you have if this is a custom built pc or what model of pc do you have if this is store bought?

I don't think the driver software is correctly installed, I think the following is what they should actually say.

AMD Streaming Audio Device should say AMD High Definition Audio or AMD HDMI Audio This will be the hdmi port on the video
High Definition Audio Device should say something more specific Would need more information on the vendor and device id numbers.
Realtek Audio should say something more specific. This is most likely the onboard audio but would need the vendor and device id numbers.

What device are you using for sound output? You can find this out by right clicking on the speaker icon down by the clock and click on sounds then the playback tab. Check to see what has the green checkmark on it.
The strange thing is that now the red x is not there. Sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesn't.
Anyways the green checkmark that you are asking about says :

Speakers/Headphones
Realtek Audio
Default Device

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I need you to answer those questions I asked. Either what motherboard you have or what model of pc so we can verify what drivers you need.

peter912

I need you to answer those questions I asked. Either what motherboard you have or what model of pc so we can verify what drivers you need.
Dell
Inspiron 3656

Processor:
AMD A10-8700P
Radeon R6
10 Compute Cores
4c + 6G 1.80 GHz

System Type:
64 bit operating system x 64 based processor

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Good to hear. Sounds like you had an incorrect driver installed. What is listed under the sound section in device manager now?

peter912

Good to hear. Sounds like you had an incorrect driver installed. What is listed under the sound section in device manager now?
It is still listing the same as it did before, AMD Streaming Audio Device
High Definition Audio Device
Realtek Audio