Avast slowing down my internet..?

swchoi89

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing some major slow-downs with my internet after I installed Avast...

So here's the thing:

I see that Avast is taking up a lot of my internet, but I know this is because majority of applications like the IE, would need to bypass Web-Shield, so that's why I'd see Avast taking up most of my traffic (as shown in Resource Manager/Monitor).

However, this doesn't explain anything. Now, my internet is slower than ever... I can't stream any online videos, including Youtube. They lag very much.

Anyone know how to fix this issue with Avast, would appreciate it if you can help me out.

Thanks in advance,

mtb211

Are you referring to the computer in your signature? Have you tested any other devices on this Modem/Router?

Matt

Okedokey

Remove Avast, see if that fixes it, if it does either reinstall or try another antivirus

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Bigfella, uninstall and test your internet speed. Then try reinstalling it, but this time redownload the install setup.

I've seen updates for avast cause issues with systems and internet. A new install has fixed these issues.

swchoi89

Are you referring to the computer in your signature? Have you tested any other devices on this Modem/Router?

Matt

My desktop is the only device that's having this issue via the same router/modem.

And yes, specs are in my signature.

Last edited:

swchoi89

I agree with Bigfella, uninstall and test your internet speed. Then try reinstalling it, but this time redownload the install setup.

I've seen updates for avast cause issues with systems and internet. A new install has fixed these issues.

How recent? I installed it not too long ago actually... like 2 weeks ago

swchoi89

When I disable Avast, my speed increases, but not by much (from 4.61 to 5.04 mb).

I just installed this software not too long ago, and I don't think I can look for alternatives as my dad was SOO adamant about buying this software (50% off...)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you have the paid version of Avast and not the free version? If so, the paid version includes firewall and all the extra crap, which could be slowing you down. To me there is no sense in buying a paid antivirus when free works just as well.

swchoi89

So you have the paid version of Avast and not the free version? If so, the paid version includes firewall and all the extra crap, which could be slowing you down. To me there is no sense in buying a paid antivirus when free works just as well.

Yea... my dad isn't too tech-savvy, and wanted to just buy the damn thing lol....

Anyhow, the Web-Shield seems to be filtering every internet activity or something.... Not sure what to do with this full version, and how to deactivate some unnecessary features... would you know? :(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You should be able to disable it. Open avast, click on real time shields and then click on web shield, press the stop button, click stop permanently.

Life

banned
When I disable Avast, my speed increases, but not by much (from 4.61 to 5.04 mb).

I just installed this software not too long ago, and I don't think I can look for alternatives as my dad was SOO adamant about buying this software (50% off...)
Avast! is great, I don't have any slow downs at all.

I agree, I have Avast, the free version and it does everything needed.

mtb211

I am really interested in what is causing this... if you disable it is the computer flawless?

I came across this thread... do you have "block all mode on?" ... do you have malwarebytes on there too?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=302386

If you are impatient you could do an uninstall in safe mode and install avg or something... That is really frustrating... sorry your having issues

Matt

Last edited:

swchoi89

I am really interested in what is causing this... if you disable it is the computer flawless?

I came across this thread... do you have "block all mode on?" ... do you have malwarebytes on there too?

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=302386

If you are impatient you could do an uninstall in safe mode and install avg or something... That is really frustrating... sorry your having issues

Matt

Hey Matt,

When I disable the web shield, my internet gets faster (a.k.a Youtube vids load faster).
I do have malwarebytes... but didn't tell me any problems.

One possibility could be the wireless adapter maybe...? It is about 2 yrs od (D-Link)...

swchoi89

You should be able to disable it. Open avast, click on real time shields and then click on web shield, press the stop button, click stop permanently.

yea, that helps boost the internet speed lol but scares me a little with 'potential threats' Avast! is telling me about

mtb211

Hey Matt,

When I disable the web shield, my internet gets faster (a.k.a Youtube vids load faster).
I do have malwarebytes... but didn't tell me any problems.

One possibility could be the wireless adapter maybe...? It is about 2 yrs od (D-Link)...

hm .. do you have anything directly connected to the router? What kind of speeds are you getting?

Try a couple different servers on speedtest.net

Matt

swchoi89

hm .. do you have anything directly connected to the router? What kind of speeds are you getting?

Try a couple different servers on speedtest.net

Matt

Nothing else is connected to it directly. All the other wireless devices such as my laptop and my smartphone gets faster speed on average compared to my desktop.

Speedtest.net shows on average of ~5mb/ sec on my desktop.

swchoi89

yes, internet security. I have the free version. I would recommend you uninstall it, and then just install the free stuff.

I wish I could but as previously mentioned, I have the full version, sucks that it'll go to waste if I end up just downloading the free stuff. I just wish I can utilize this full version without having it distracting my internet speed.