AVG Or Avast?

Which one is better!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why do people call Avira 'AVG'? but anyway to those that say i dont use an anti-virus because im the best and i am smart, People could use Anti-Virus's to experiment with programs they have not seen before without the experimenters you wont get recomendations or reviews so they could be smart? Also when you browse the internet you get tracking cookies on your computer Anti-Virus(s) clean them. Still though i have to agree with you on some of the things if you download anything just use VirusTotal but that wont scan your HDD for viruses :p

EDIT: Or just a thought use LINUX :p

I use Virtual Windows for those kind of things.

JTM

I'd have to disagree with you here. From my experiences, Norton is a resource hog. Even doing a simple background scan completely bogs down your computer.

Norton 09 is Symantec's best Norton yet. It uses very little resources and works great from what I've read. I've installed it on my cousin's computer and it has a very nice GUI and seems to work great!

JTM

Use anything apart from Norton 360 JESUS that was a fail from norton!

I am currently running Norton 360 and love it. I haven't had a virus on my machine of 6+ months. Not saying that it's hard to stay away from viruses and such. It is running silently in the background all the time, it tells me if anything is found and stops threats before they are installed.

The thing I like most is that it is always running. There is a need for a weekly scan but with 360 that is not as necessary. But I do have a lot of ram, so if you are running a slower system you will get conquered by such a program as Norton 360!

Kalcalen

I haven't used Avast, but I greatly dislike AVG. Had multiple situations where it has not gotten rid of a virus (me and a friend tested it, e.g. found the virus in the registry, ran AVG, restart, virus still there. Did that a few times.)

th3ha1og0d

I like AVG. Clear, concise user interface. AVG does its thing in the background and doesn't bother me. I also like how it gives you a resident shield in the free version, the shield has actually caught a few viruses and moved them into the vault for me (while I was on windows xp).

G25r8cer

AVG over Avast any day. Avast seems to be a system/resource hog now days. Ahh well im using ESET Smart Security!

XanderCage

I found that avast slows even really quick pcs down. I installed it and it took almost twice as long to load some programs. It was lame. AVG for me.

NA-10

I'm running Avast 4.8 home edition and I'm looking for a new one because it has extra scanners (Mail, Web) that adds two processes that arn't needed. I'm looking at AVG 8.0.176.

Chuck_Fu

banned
I'm running Avast 4.8 home edition and I'm looking for a new one because it has extra scanners (Mail, Web) that adds two processes that arn't needed. I'm looking at AVG 8.0.176.

Definitely go with avg it is so much better than avast

oregon

Firstly, who actually gets viruses/spyware/whatever. I have had one virus in all of eight years, and my antivirus failed to stop it.

Secondly, Avast wins just because it has no splash screen.

XCtechST

There are many people who get viruses, especially on this forum. :) I have used AVG for my clients for the last 2+ years solid and I have to say that it's my #1 choice.

I think the more important point is that an anti-virus package is NOT going to make up for a healthy dose of common sense on a user's part. There are NO programs that catch/remove/prevent ALL viruses or spyware. Period. More recently rootkits that help install viruses are getting so difficult to actually stop and especially remove that all AV vendors are playing some form of catch up.

Be smart, backup, and install your Windows Updates!