Battery > Computer > Motherboard

PC eye

banned
Offhand? I've never tried carrying a desktop around in a backpack. I didn't have a fork truck around for the old tape driven IBM mainframes in the late 60s either. sorry! :p

You will have to start researching 12v battery backups for pcs or something on that idea to see what you can come up with. Even those that go to lan parties at least have ac power avaialble or simply go for a laptop to make life far easier. You still haven't explained what you are using for a case for this.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Offhand? I've never tried carrying a desktop around in a backpack. I didn't have a fork truck around for the old tape driven IBM mainframes in the late 60s either. sorry! :p

You will have to start researching 12v battery backups for pcs or something on that idea to see what you can come up with. Even those that go to lan parties at least have ac power avaialble or simply go for a laptop to make life far easier. You still haven't explained what you are using for a case for this.

Hmm... well this might be going to an change :(

How's an ITX motherboard? I can afford an $60 low power comsumption... It would work wouldn't it? Just need an USB hub and an PCI fx5200....

^ Would that be an better idea ? Less power comsumption...

PC eye

banned
You still haven't answered one question as if to avoid it. What type of case will all this go into? As you can see from the product page here the mini cases run at higher prices then the average mid tower model. http://www.xoxide.com/small-form-factor-cases.html

There are plenty of micro atx and ITX minis to select from for a board. But then you are looking at an old AGP card for the newer PCI-E boards now seen. Once you have all of the hardwares selected then you have to calculate the total consumption in order to see what type of battery power will be available as well as adequate.

PC eye

banned
200w wouldn't be enough to start with. Even the smaller boards for desktop use are looking for a 300w starting point for just onboard video which is probably what you will end up with there. That would be one way to lower the power demand on a battery operated system while sadly lacking for any serious gaming.

Battery backup setups for server cases are the item to look into since those take over when the ac is lost from a blackout. Note the three models seen on the right column when looking over the battery systems seen at http://www.atbatt.com/ups-backup-batteries.asp

PC eye

banned
Why wouldn't it? You have to look at the entire system not just the cpu. Now you are looking at newer boards meaning a totally different socket type unless you find an older model someone is still caryying. You're talking about a 754 cpu if you find a 754 ITX model board if not micro atx model. The best of the 7 seen at newegg is an Asus micro atx model with a VIA chipset seen at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131129

oscaryu1

VIP Member
My CPU is an like an 25W one... Sempron Sonora 2600+

I have an K8M800 motherboard... VIA chipset...

Basically what I have in my rig

PC eye

banned
Despite the fact that you won't be system poiunding and ocing you'll probably end up needing more then what the typical laptop battery would supply. It's kind of like comparing apples to oranges in some sense. What's going to pull a heavier load a mini van or a full sized 4x4 pickup truck? to give you one example.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Depends on what type of van :p

So, we've eliminated 12V Car batteries and laptop batteries...

I'm getting an Micro ITX motherboard + CPU, that would suck less power would it not?

Ceewi1 we could use some help :)

PC eye

banned
The rechargeable server backup battery would be the most likely type to see results there since that has to provide the current amount for any board other then one found in a laptop. A car battery while massive won't last long. Ever watch someone jump starting a car after forgetting to turn off the dome light overnight or parking lights for a few hours? Headlights usually see about 30min. before that is needed due to the heavier draw there almost what a desktop sees.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
hmm, how's an Surge Protector battery thingy? It's made to last... But not for very long... :(

Yeah... well... ITX would lower the power consumption wouldn't it?

PC eye

banned
An ITX board would fit into the micro atx type catagory with less features. But you are then talking about an entirely new board and cpu not the current mobile model you were planning to run. A newer board will also see the additional 12v cpu feed added into the works due to the newer power distribution. You defeat your own purpose there.

PC eye

banned
You never mentioned the socket type just that it was a mobile cpu being used there. When you say it's a 2600+ I keep thinking back to the older Socket A models. But for what you are doing there you will still need an adequate power source for a desktop. The idea of going for a battery rated for a higher draw is to see the battery used last longer then a typical laptop battery's 4hrs. max of useability before requiring a recharge.

oscaryu1

VIP Member

You do know in the last... 5-8 pages I listed everything?

"Everything in my sig" :D

So an Mobile 25W 2600+ Sempron 754

PC eye

banned
I was trying to get a look at the specifications at AMD and the cpu comparison chart for laptops list the S1 type socket at this time. That only listed down to a 2800+ in the Sempron and Atholon64 lines for the newer models.

Regardless of the cpu used you will still be faced with the battery type selected. The stronger the battery as far as output the longer you can run with it without a need to recharge it. A laptop battery only lasts 4hrs. in a laptop. You might see 1/2 of that amount of time with the still larger draw even on a low end desktop case.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
well my laptop. duel core turion 64 at 1.8 w/ a 17 inch monitor for 3 hr on a 14.4 V 63 Wh battery. so i mean you could get a good 12 cell battery and may run it for 3 hr. maybe.

Exactly! I don't get how an MOBILE 25W CPU would even need near an 12V car battery!

I don't even need 3 hours (but it would be nice... :D)

PC eye

banned
You don't seem to understand why a heavier battery will provide much longer life. Using a car battery as the ideal example is quick and easy here. What happens if you leave the head lights on after so long like a good hour? You need a jump! But you can leave the radio on overnight and what happens? crank crank zzzzoom! the car starts up! The radio didn't have the same large draw the head lights did and which quit first? Yet the battery has to handle both.