Battery > Computer > Motherboard

PC eye

banned
Other then the 80w max you would see on an external laptop battery the only type known for pc application is those commonly used for servers. A car battery would be a lot cheaper then the actual battery you would need for running a desktop portable. That is unless you can locate a smaller verion of the one seen at http://www.atbatt.com/product/20199.asp

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Ehh, no. That's... $300 outta my budget. I thought you said back then that an lappy battery would work!?!?!? I have an VERY low wattage CPU, and low voltage RAM...?!?!

PC eye

banned
You can shop around all day for external laptop batteries. But those are wired to plug into the standard connections seen on portable units. That would mean custom wiring them for a desktop board if they worked at all. The power configuration is a little bit different on the boards used in laptops over atx.

PC eye

banned
As ceewi1 already pointed out that may probably cover the basics only while the heavier 250w model would handle the gaming load. But you would still looking at a laptop battery expecting less of a draw not the power distribution seen with an atx board. Then it also depends on how long you intend to see a battery hold when in use. That's where the price factor comes in again.

PC eye

banned
If you go with a laptop board custom installed into a smal mini case somehow? you then have plenty of options for finding a way to install the battey holder needed for the typical lithium battery you would use with that make and model laptop's board. The power connections would then be standardized over trying to mickey mouse wire some other 12v source.

From there you would find the right video card for the board used. Replacement boards for laptop however may see a higher price over what you will find for desktops however. But you then would have upto 4hrs. of battery life and something designed for portable application.

That also birngs to mind the thought of going for a used laptop in good shape for simply using it as a self contained unit or stripping it down for parts like the board, battery, and of course the battery powered lcd display.

PC eye

banned
You would also need some metal working experience in order to custom mount a laptop board in a small atx case too. But with a complete working laptop that would solve the portable pc dilemna since everything is self contained there. You would simply upgrade from onboard to a better video card.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Yeaahhh... but we're using an laptop, and unless I can find an good dedicated type laptop for VERY LITTLE... it's not gonna work well...

PC eye

banned
But it's also a low cost option in some cases like http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/PCWorld/story?id=3818602 where commercial Linux laptops seem to be coming down(not good for BF2 :p ). Or you can get a 2 for 1 bargain on $100 models and see one donated. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/ZDM/story?id=3858659

Of couree you could always try running a super long extention cord since anything else found for consideration there runs at a much higher price. For seeing an atx type system or case used by strictly battery power you are rather limited on options.

PC eye

banned
Wattage is measured as output while amps are measured as input. The question would be how many amps would a micro atx board draw. Figure the average budget case sees a supply with 15amps for a start on each rail while the better ones climb to 18-20.

Any desktop board is still going to pull more then one for a laptop even a micro. The boards used in portable units are also limited to a few basics like HD, Optical, vga out, etc. while you RAID and other capabilities present even on micros.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Well... then are there any "mobile" motherboards? That can support my mobile CPU?

PS - Why are you always "offline"?

PC eye

banned
The board to use would simply be any laptop replacement board that uses that model and socket type. What would a Socket 754 cpu go on? a 754 board. For a mobile 754 cpu you would use a mobile 754 board. The quality of the board depends on the quality of the laptop it goes into.

Due to constant interruptions as well as a few other projects I keep the inactive setting since I seem to be on 24/7 call due to someone close by with a serious medical condition. Plus I'm always trying out some new program that often requires a system restart. But these are something more for a pm then here.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Hmm, would the cooler be a issue? And then the GFX... I'd have to have an Nvidia GO or ATI Mobility...

Eh, no I mean your light on the bottom. Never green.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
I picked up a UPS battery... not bad... but it doesn't work... I'm freezing it in the fridge right now. Hopefully it's a NiCD or NiMH...

PC eye

banned
First you have to figure out just what you are going to end up with as far as a portable system. That ups sounds like a rechargable battery/surge protection strip combo that won't work first since it needs to charged while in use and 2) may not be the correct type for what tyou are trying to do there.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
First you have to figure out just what you are going to end up with as far as a portable system. That ups sounds like a rechargable battery/surge protection strip combo that won't work first since it needs to charged while in use and 2) may not be the correct type for what tyou are trying to do there.

I've been looking @ ups's, and some say they can power a computer for like 43minutes. Seeing I only need around 30 for some gaming... can't I just gut the system and use the battery?