Battlefield 3 Thread

Virssagòn

VIP Member
1. What were you doing whilst recording? Playing

2. Drop to 21fps, my point exactly. Anything below 30 I wouldn't have, 21, you can see the frames and you aren't far off a slide show at that point. Especially in online play, harder to aim, harder to spot, harder to fly, you put yourself at a distinct disadvantage. I can play with higher than 21FPS, but that isn't playable unless you are on a point and click game I can fly pretty fluent...

3. The game isn't CPU heavy. My i3 2100 was getting bottlenecked by my 560Ti and still had more to give, it will easily max the game when paired with a more powerful graphics card Yep, but speed helps a bit I think

If you want me to record a video, just say it.

Aastii

VIP Member
1. What were you doing whilst recording? I know you weren't on the menu, but were you running about as infantry, flying, in a tank, up high sniping, what?

2. Someone with equal skill on higher FPS would dominate you, you are at a disadvantage when your FPS drops so low

3. No. Go and do some research into what a bottleneck is, then read what I put, then re-evaluate whether a faster CPU would help

Virssagòn

VIP Member
1. What were you doing whilst recording? I know you weren't on the menu, but were you running about as infantry, flying, in a tank, up high sniping, what?

2. Someone with equal skill on higher FPS would dominate you, you are at a disadvantage when your FPS drops so low

3. No. Go and do some research into what a bottleneck is, then read what I put, then re-evaluate whether a faster CPU would help

I was just running around and shooting, I blew some walls up.

Nobody will dominate me... :p
And It's feeling pretty comfortable whilst gaming though.

Man, you really think I don't know that? And yes it makes difference. I did it again with stock clock and got 28 avg doing the same.

claptonman

Anyone experiencing a lot of lag on the servers? I can't even play and my download speed on speedtest.net is 23mb/s and my ping is 25.

Ankur

No lag till now, my download speed is 800kb/s and ping is 100-200
btw what is your upload speed? upload speed is also quite important.

Ankur

I got the patch and Aftermath map update, but when I click join server on the AM map it says I need to get the map pack lol, I am a premium member and downloaded the 3.8 GB last night still.
One thing I see is that the AM maps are empty, no player in it.

I'll have to test it later today. My name on there is Protosim if anyone wants to play with me.
Added, do have aftermath??

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

Maybe you have to wait until a certain time for it to be unlocked. I know they said early access was today but over here at least its 7 in the morning.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scavanger mode is good,but i think the game time is a little short..maybe that was just the server i was on?

Not played BF3 for a couple of weeks until now,Loving the new maps though its a refreshing change.

If only they allowed people to create custom maps of their own,BF3 would never get boring. :)

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So after almost no playing of BF3 I finally decided to download it and play some of the campaign.

claptonman

Scavanger mode is good,but i think the game time is a little short..maybe that was just the server i was on?

Not played BF3 for a couple of weeks until now,Loving the new maps though its a refreshing change.

If only they allowed people to create custom maps of their own,BF3 would never get boring. :)

I'm really liking the new maps as well. Scavenger is short, I agree. And I seem to get killed way easier in that mode for some reason...

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Didn't played them yet, I also didn't play much on bf3 either. But this Christmas I gonna go back in the gaming world after finishing my benchmarks new version, server pc, moms pc and my setup (speakers all around)
Getting a new gpu (with 3 games, including far cry 3 for free) too, so I'm pretty good set for the holidays!

Ankur

Well after almost 8 GBs of updates I got this and this is awesome, much more and bigger than expected. The maps look redefined and the destruction looks beautiful, just wondering if there is any destruction at Talah market map?

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I do some benchmarking atm (hd6870 vs hd6870 oc).
And it seems that some maps are getting around 33-36 fps avg everything maxed out, and some 47-48 fps?
This was while testing Seine Crossing and métro.

Before the updated drivers (12.11 beta 10) I wasn't able to play maxed out (27fps), now it's a bit better though. Nice work AMD!

This is what I have so far:
(everything on max supported settings)
hd6870vshd6870oc.jpg

zombine210

I do some benchmarking atm (hd6870 vs hd6870 oc).
And it seems that some maps are getting around 33-36 fps avg everything maxed out, and some 47-48 fps?
This was while testing Seine Crossing and métro.

Before the updated drivers (12.11 beta 10) I wasn't able to play maxed out (27fps), now it's a bit better though. Nice work AMD!

This is what I have so far:
(everything on max supported settings)
hd6870vshd6870oc.jpg

did u test using crossfire?
i have a single 6870 and i get about the same performance.

G80FTW

I was just running around and shooting, I blew some walls up.

Nobody will dominate me... :p
And It's feeling pretty comfortable whilst gaming though.

Man, you really think I don't know that? And yes it makes difference. I did it again with stock clock and got 28 avg doing the same.

I have to agree with Aastii on this...

21-28 fps is not playable for me when talking about an online FPS. If your connection doesnt kill you, your framerate will. I dont see how you could manage to get alot of kills at under 30FPS. I dont recall if I even tested BF3 with my old 8800, but I probably wouldnt have maxed it out and went online playing at 20fps. Would have been pointless.

Honestly, with newer 120hz TVs out, 30FPS doesnt cut it. With my graphics card I have now, I dont go below 60FPS maxed out so I dont think I would want to play online lower than that. And yes, I can tell the difference between 30 and 60, easily. It just depends on what monitor/TV its on.

On a side note, I think the new medal of honor looks SLIGHTLY better in some areas :) I know they are using the same engine, but Im enjoying medal of honor more. The driving mission was amazing.

Virssagòn

VIP Member
I have to agree with Aastii on this...

21-28 fps is not playable for me when talking about an online FPS. If your connection doesnt kill you, your framerate will. I dont see how you could manage to get alot of kills at under 30FPS. I dont recall if I even tested BF3 with my old 8800, but I probably wouldnt have maxed it out and went online playing at 20fps. Would have been pointless.

Honestly, with newer 120hz TVs out, 30FPS doesnt cut it. With my graphics card I have now, I dont go below 60FPS maxed out so I dont think I would want to play online lower than that. And yes, I can tell the difference between 30 and 60, easily. It just depends on what monitor/TV its on.

On a side note, I think the new medal of honor looks SLIGHTLY better in some areas :) I know they are using the same engine, but Im enjoying medal of honor more. The driving mission was amazing.

That's around a month ago xD.
Pretty happy with new drivers though... But I just ran max for benchmark, most of the time I set the settings a bit lower (you don't even see much difference in graphics lol).
But that's why I'm getting an hd7970/hd7950 with a gift of 3 awesome games for free and 20% off on medal of honor warfighter :D
In metro it was pretty playable, almost no drops under 40fps (that's great for only a tiny hd6870).
The other maps were okey, it stayed pretty stable at 34fps. No really stutter though.

That said, my crossfire setup barely drops under 60fps. So sad from that microstutter, from now on, I'll only buy powerful single cards. (I'll maybe crossfire in the future if I'm really sure that ms is gone)