Best Desktop For The Price

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Should I be spending that much money on ram, I mean, right now Im about to spend nearly 800$, and ram takes 185$ of that! the ram cost more than the mother board and processor. Geez, is it really worth all that money?
If you've got the money and dont desparately need it for something else, go with the ram, you wont be dissapointed. I've ran 'stock' memory all my life and only one stick has ever given me problems (256MB out of roughly 150GB that I've seen pass my hands ... pretty nice odds really). Realistically if you get "stock" memory, you're going to have less OC capability and more constraints here and there but thats about it :) ... if you want a concrete reccomendation: go for it.

EMO-TOCROSS

We'll, I am a student, and the more money I spend, the less money I have for other things that just might come up. And The total of the entire setup with 1GB of ram is $733 , Where The total of the entire setup with 512 of ram from the same company is $642. I do have an extra DDR PC3200 256mb stick laying in my closet. So I would be saving ALOT Of money, nearly a hundred dollars, for something that I dont necacarly need. Because If I went with the $642 Setup, I could also but on my extra ram, and theres like 756mb of ram right there. Isnt that good enough?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
And The total of the entire setup with 1GB of ram is $733 , Where The total of the entire setup with 512 of ram from the same company is $642.
My previous post was commenting on "premium memory" vs "stock memory" -- NOT quantity. I will advise you to go after 1GB regardless.

I do have an extra DDR PC3200 256mb stick laying in my closet.
Tough call but if I had to make it, I would consider going to a small computer store and working out an exchange deal ... if you get stock memory, make absolutely sure it's dual-channel capable as you will want to squeeze as much performance out of it as possible.

Isnt that good enough?
Yes and in reference to the above, I'd suggest you goto the small computer store and get 1GB (2x512MB) of "stock" memory (PC3200) so that you can make use of dual channel and have enough memory to last you quite some time. If possible, try and trade up your current 256MB module for that 512MB stick. Specifically I'd get the core installed (mobo, PSU, case, video) and grab the memory... worst case scenario, get 768MB ... it's good enough. But if you do go after a stock dual channel setup, make sure you test the memory in the store for dual channel capability: the ASUS boards will display "dual channel status" by the end of the memory test in bright white letters ... cant miss it.

We'll, I am a student, and the more money I spend, the less money I have for other things that just might come up.
God I hear ya .... :(

EMO-TOCROSS

Yeah I have enough money for the 1gb ram, I'll just go the safe way out and get it, This computer is gonna be my baby forever :D .

Viper_86

banned
Praetor said:
LOL dont get your hopes up too much... computers have a way of becoming obsolete real fast :p
that couldnt b more true...give it 3 or 4 yrs at most and ull b beggin for a new computer. but as for the question about ram...it is always worth spending the extra money for it...i went from 256 to 512 a while back and everthing from just simple programs such as microsoft word to playing games i noticed HUGE difference. i dont no wut ull b doing on it...didnt read the whole thread...but having 512 ram helps speed up ur whole computer no matter wut ur doing!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
that couldnt b more true...give it 3 or 4 yrs at most and ull b beggin for a new computer
Argueable m8 ... my tower i bought originally at $650USD ... and so far ive spend $225USD (modding and updgrading it ... and that's over 2 years ... so I'll be able to have a decent system after 4 years for under $1500USD at this rate :p

Viper_86

banned
EMO-TOCROSS said:
Yeah I have enough money for the 1gb ram, I'll just go the safe way out and get it
having 1 gig of ram is really nice im sure...but i dont no if it makes much more of a difference from 512 for programs such as word or outlook...i dont use them much anyway other than for school. but if ur a gamer then 1 gig will b really nice. so to sum it up...if ur lookin for a good computer at a low price...i would recommend going with 512 ram...its enuf to run a lot...most games these days at high settings if the vid card processor and mobo allows.

EMO-TOCROSS

I use the computer for alot of things, and run alot of things at once. I do alot of webdesigning with flash, photoshop, dreamweaver, and like soundfoge and stuff. Also, I play alot of newer games like call of duty and the new counterstrike and stuff. I think 1GB Will please me alot more, So Im gonna go for that.

EMO-TOCROSS

Wow I actually ordered it all. Total was near 800$. Im pretty darn excited! I just hope putting it together is going to be easy, I will find out wedn. or thurs. when it comes! Prepare for alot of questions :p ! I will take pics of my machine when im done!

Viper_86

banned
im not one for buying prebuilt computers...but if ur lookin for a general use computer with a mix of some..not really hardcore gaming video editing and mushc and everthing else u wanna do...dell might b something that u wanna look in2...i think the dimension 2400 or something is only like 499...u can even customize ur computer on their website so u can change some stuff around to fit wut u want to do more...i think u can get the 8250...which is wut i have...well its not mine but its the one i use for now...for soemwhere around $900-999 I THINK. from wut u hear from everywhere im sure...well such as tv and internet and stuff...dell has great tech support...which i dont think weve ever used...once again this is just something that u might want to look at...nothing that i would b 2 thrilled about since ive been lookin in2 building my gaming pc.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Wow I actually ordered it all. Total was near 800$. Im pretty darn excited! I just hope putting it together is going to be easy, I will find out wedn. or thurs. when it comes! Prepare for alot of questions
LOL glad you're taking "those first steps" ... it's an "interesting" trip you're embarking heehee

EMO-TOCROSS

nope nope nevermind, sorry i was re-reading this thread to make sure I picked up everything I could on learning about this. And ran into someone saying dont forget to get a Raid card. So I posted the above freaking out, but I just looked on my ASUS E-delux motherboard, and of coarse, the specs say Onboard SATA/RAID. haha its all good.

ihatespam123

you might want to consider getting an external hard drive instead of a really high intrnal harddrive, you can get them cheap on ebay and other sites :)