Best Desktop For The Price

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The wireless is ... "not so great" ... you're better off getting a third party wireless setup from people who specialize in it :) Furthermore, the WiFi attena and such is not a standard feature on even Deluxe models -- EVEN if it says 1xWiFi -- that just means it's got a connector on the mobo, or "some variant of the model" has the wireless option (kinda like the way even luxury cars have "options"). If you want the wireless you're gonna pay extra most likely.

As for whats "better" -- i would say that the P4 "computer" but the AMD route is a better "deal" -- it's your money. If it were me, I'd buy AMD but that's me.

EMO-TOCROSS

Yeah two reasons support me wanting the AMD more, 1.) You recomend it, that means alot to me. 2.) Its not cheaper, its Waay cheaper ;) . I have recieved all my money today, and will most likely be ording tomarrow, So im gonna post my setup one more time cuz i've changed around with it, and would like to here a good final opinion on it before I order it. your opinions change the world ;)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
So im gonna post my setup one more time cuz i've changed around with it, and would like to here a good final opinion on it before I order it. your opinions change the world
Geesh the pressure! The pressure! I wish my opinions could get me hooked up with this girl! :p

Yeah, the cheaper does help dont it? Hell even if you looked at Option 01, that a HELL of a goddang system for $1100. I shocked even myself ... not often does one squeeze a A64, an ASUS mobo and a nice 160GB-8MB HDD into a sub $1500 box. You'd be surprised how much something like that (with crappier parts) would cost ya if you bought OEM -- there's truth to the statement about "$1000 OEM sticker"

Cheers
:)

EMO-TOCROSS

Operation system: Windows XP Corp.

Case And PSU : ENERMAX Silver 10-BAY ATX Mid-Tower Case(Aluminum Front Panel) with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-S" -RETAIL

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

Motherboard: ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

RAM: OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Graphic Card: Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R9600-PRO D3H" -RETAIL

Sound Card: Already have a Audigy 2 -- Very nice

Hard Drive: Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only

CD/CD-RW/DVD Drive: Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, Retail

CPU Processor Fan: Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL

80mm Fan: AeroCool UV LED Case fan 80MM, Model "AeroFans-UV-BG-SV" -RETAIL (3)

120mm Fan: Aerocool 120MM Aerolite Blue Color LED Case Fan, Model "AeroFlow-BB" -RETAIL (1)

Speakers: Already have some

Monitor: Flat Screen Already Owned

Mouse: Have Extras

Keyboard: Have Extras

TOTAL: $ 715.44 ---- $ 847.70 (Thats how much the Intel setup cost :-0! )

Question, Will the hermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL Work on my new processor? How about everything else with the motherboard? Thanks man -!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- The Fan is universal it will work everywhere, here's a link for the badboy http://www.xoxide.com/ttextreme.html ... although the CPU fan SHOULD come with some thermal paste ... IF it doesnt, MAKE SURE YOU GET SOME lol.

- Everything else should work

- Cant remember if the RAM had heatspreaders, if they dont, get some

- With the extra money, jump the drive to a 160GB 8MB model or jump the videocard to a 9800Pro :)

All in all, a nice setup and a nice price! Now you can see why I advocate AMD :) You may not get cutting edge but you can save enough money to get a lot more stuff on the side :)

Let me know how it goes! :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yes that's heatspreader. I'd reccomend this one http://www.xoxide.com/theracmemcoo.html although really it dont make much of a difference. Lots more options here: http://www.xoxide.com/memandchipco.html (that's where i do most of my online shopping cuz i get mostly cooling stuff). For an extra 2-3 bucks you can get active cooling on the memory -- well worth it. The official information page is here: http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/memory/a1165.htm you might want to check that this works on PC2700/PC3200 ... it should but im kinda perplexed that xoxide states it supports PC2700 (meaning PC3200 support) but the official website doesnt. I'm inclined to believe xoxide but its not my money, I'd check just to be certain if i was spending my own money.

In reality there isnt that big a deal, as long as you've got something on there then you're good to go.

EMO-TOCROSS

Okay, Its all ordered!! :) Here's What I got, So now's the part where I show off ;)

Operating System: Windows XP Professional

Case And PSU : ENERMAX Silver 10-BAY ATX Mid-Tower Case(Aluminum Front Panel) with 400W Power Supply, Model "CS-EN5171LBFS-S" -RETAIL

Processor: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", 333 FSB, 512K Cache Processor - OEM

Motherboard: ASUS "A7N8X-E Deluxe" nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU -RETAIL

RAM: OCZ Ultra High Performance Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB (512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Graphic Card: Info-Tek ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "R9600-PRO D3H" -RETAIL

Hard Drive: Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB, OEM Drive Only

CD/CD-RW/DVD Drive: Lite-On 52X32X52X16 Combo Drive, Model SOHC-5232K, Retail

CPU Processor Fan: Thermaltake POLO 735 Extreme 3 in 1 CPU Cooler for AMD K7 & K8 and Intel P4 processors, Model "POLO 735" -RETAIL

80mm Fan: AeroCool UV LED Case fan 80MM, Model "AeroFans-UV-BG-SV" -RETAIL (3)

120mm Fan: Aerocool 120MM Aerolite Blue Color LED Case Fan, Model "AeroFlow-BB" -RETAIL (1)

Thermal Paste: OCZ Ultra 5+ Silver Thermal Compound -OEM

Heat Spreader: VANTEC IceBerq Copper DDR Memory Heat Spreader, Model "DDR-A1C" -RETAIL (2)

Viper_86

banned
EMO-TOCROSS said:
Um Intel Pentium 4 is what I've heard is the best and reliable, Im not sure tho you tell me your thoughts on that.
pentium 4's r good, excellent fopr video editing and imagery, but if you want to be doing gaming, i would highly recommend an amd athalon...top of the line is the 3800...but that would take up everthing in ur wallet:)...i found a great motherboard/processor combo with the amd athalon 3200 for only 455!

http://www.compwarehouse.com/amd_processor/index.html

check it out.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno. Havnt had any exposure to the KT600. I'd say it's a fair toss-up but i could be wrong

EMO-TOCROSS

yeah okay, so for twenty dollars cheaper should I go with the gigabite one, or should I stick to the ASUS motherboard, cuz im actually really ording right now.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL dont ask me questions like that because I cant possibly give you a fair answer haha. If it was my money I would get the ASUS because I havnt had good experiences with them but that's if it was MY money -- this is your money -- your call. Let's consider the cases:
- The GB one is better. You still have a solid ASUS board you can count on. You dont lose.
- The ASUS one is better. You win.

EMO-TOCROSS

Yeah I feel safe going with the ASUS. Not the GB. Also I just realized that 185$ of my entire setup is from RAM!!! Should i be spending that much money on ram, I mean, right now Im about to spend nearly 800$, and ram takes 185$ of that! the ram cost more than the mother board and processor. Geez, is it really worth all that money?