Best free anti/virus software

dellxps420

banned
Hi whats the best free antivirus software you use on your pc can anyone reccommend ? dont mind if it scans slow etc just want it to be good and do its job protect my pc :)

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'd have to say Avira. At work, when removing Malware we run 3 scans; AVG, Avast, Avira (well, more in stages but anyway...) Avira almost always picks up more viruses than Avast or AVG.

One other very nice scanner is eset. That's what I run on my machines. I don't know right off if they have a real-time scanner, but I run the web scanner (which can be downloaded and run on your computer).

powerpack

banned
I am happy with MS Security Essentials (free). I used to use AVG free. Not even going to try and say they are the best. They work well. Do you go roaming the Internet taunting viruses? If so maybe you need better. But good surfing habits really go a long way. Blatant disregard for common sense at some point even the best could cause you issues.

Expect to hear Kaspersky mentioned a lot.

Last edited:

dellxps420

banned
sounds like avira it is anyone have a link where i can download it ? is this a trail or full download ?

no worries guys downloading it from filehippo :) thanks for the information

Last edited:

Ryan_Fpv

I prefer Avast, nice interface and I've never had any problems with it. I used to use AVG but got too annoyed by all the "buy me buy me buy me" ads for the paid version.

Ryan_Fpv

downloaded avira and its good :)

I used Avira for a while up until I got infected with a virus from a flash off the college computers, Avira didn't pick it up, not even with a full scan, so I switched to Avast. :) I don't so much hate Avira, I just prefer Avast.

dellxps420

banned
I used Avira for a while up until I got infected with a virus from a flash off the college computers, Avira didn't pick it up, not even with a full scan, so I switched to Avast. :) I don't so much hate Avira, I just prefer Avast.

yeh same i cant choose from avast or avira but im running avira atm so its going good :)