Votes: 5 27.8%
  • HP Pavilion HDX

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Dell XPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other - Please Mention

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters
I never said it was a good thing I just said my laptop has 12 color leds in 6 places :p
and you can disable them, I never use them anyway.

skidude

I never said it was a good thing I just said my laptop has 12 color leds in 6 places :p
and you can disable them, I never use them anyway.

But dude, if you never use them, then why would you pay another $600 for them?!? I spec'ed out the same laptop I had going with Alienware (except with a much better CPU, faster RAM, and a larger HDD) and still came up $600 short of what Alienware was asking. I don't know about you, but a few LED's are not worth that kind of money.

bigd54

And that will perform well in games? That is what I am looking for a solid gaming laptop. I was looking at alienware it seems good?

Alienware is great, but for a good alienware laptop you need around $2000 or so for the cheapest good config. The hp is good, if you don't want leds.

I would recommend the alienware area-51 m15x, that is what I have and would say it is phenomenal. It has a good graphics card, the 8700 not the 8800, but I can play cod4 and a lot of great games. My config is a good config I would say, and you now can get the skullcap or ripley design. I strongly recommend getting 1gb of alienware ram and upgrading to 4gb from newegg.com, you would save $250. It has 12 color leds in 6 different places, and this is a rough picture of what it will look like.
alienware1.jpg

With tax and shipping, mine came to $2092. It is not the best deal, but alienware is a status symbol, and it looks cool.

Last edited:

bigd54

Thanks for the help.......With new technology comming out how long do you think this laptop will be good for. Is it worth paying the extra money for the m17x?

Well, I would not get an m17x unless you have $3000 for it. It CAN have good specs, but you need to put a lot of money into it. I think my m15x will last for 2 years with its specs.

mkjaekmi

Alot of mixed opinions. Few questions, I still don't understand why majority of the people picked falcon, and yet only 1 response for it.

Second, I too believe alienware is nice but very pricey.

and third I think overall (money/performance) Sager is the best, anyone disagree?

I strongly disagree. All of sager's notebooks may have good specs, but they just don't look like a $4000 computer. They look like an average computer, and for a high price, I think people need more than performance.

skidude

So if you had an alienware and a sager laptop of equal price, the Sager would outperform the alienware ?

YES. I cannot stress that point enough. The Alienware uses notebook processors (such as the Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000) while the Sager's use DESKTOP processors (such as the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q9550). Plus, Alienware does NOT sell DDR2 800 MHz RAM, they only sell DDR2 667 MHz, and they charge absurd amounts for it (in excess of 300% for what it costs on newegg). I just don't like Alienware anymore because of their shady customer service and support which tries to pin the blame on the customer, and their insane price gouging for otherwise cheap components. I've read way, way, way too many complaints from people about design flaws in Alienware computers (especially in the M15x) and if you are putting upwards of $2000 into a laptop, you want to know for sure that it is going to be solid, reliable, and be constructed with care.

Sorry, but for me I'd rather go for the sure bet, and spend less money doing so.

Alienware wants to be overpriced. They are a standard symbol of coolness and quality.
you are putting upwards of $2000 into a laptop, you want to know for sure that it is going to be solid, reliable, and be constructed with care.
Hmm.. Well since everyone that had problems with the m15x gets them fixed for free with their warranties, this is a strange comment.. And my m15x has been solid, reliable, and constructed with care.

Kill Bill

Alienware wants to be overpriced. They are a standard symbol of coolness and quality. Hmm.. Well since everyone that had problems with the m15x gets them fixed for free with their warranties, this is a strange comment.. And my m15x has been solid, reliable, and constructed with care.

If i said this Apple wants to be overpriced. They are a standard symbol of coolness and quality. You would turn around and say a bad thing about them. Just accept the fact we have different needs for example I like alienware I used to have a M9750 which was Radz but my parents wanted to keep me out of the house and the battery of a 7950GTX was 30mins max and I had to get something that could keep the battery which was a MacBook Pro and Could run my video editing software better. You know the best part I still will be using alienware in two years the collage i am going to has alienware computers there so I'll be either stuck with those or bring my MacBook Pro. So I use both and like both. It is just that macs suit my life style more

Hey you had the m9750 ? so did I :D
We returned ours after multiple issues including battery life, and usb problems, but I can't believe we BOTH had the m9750 and returned it.. That's like really wierd

arcstudent

YES. I cannot stress that point enough. The Alienware uses notebook processors (such as the Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000) while the Sager's use DESKTOP processors (such as the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 or Q9550). Plus, Alienware does NOT sell DDR2 800 MHz RAM, they only sell DDR2 667 MHz, and they charge absurd amounts for it (in excess of 300% for what it costs on newegg). I just don't like Alienware anymore because of their shady customer service and support which tries to pin the blame on the customer, and their insane price gouging for otherwise cheap components. I've read way, way, way too many complaints from people about design flaws in Alienware computers (especially in the M15x) and if you are putting upwards of $2000 into a laptop, you want to know for sure that it is going to be solid, reliable, and be constructed with care.

Sorry, but for me I'd rather go for the sure bet, and spend less money doing so.

I heard that the Sager has some fan/overheating issues since it uses a desktop processor, also the fans are noisy or something. Is this issue also present in the alienware m17x ? could someone elaborate on this ?

I am not one to judge a book by its cover, so I'm very open to buying a Sager rather than alienware, especially if it'll run my design applications and games better.

skidude

I heard that the Sager has some fan/overheating issues since it uses a desktop processor, also the fans are noisy or something. Is this issue also present in the alienware m17x ? could someone elaborate on this ?

I have the fastest and most power-hungry desktop CPU they stuff into this thing and, if you have the fans on full speed (by pressing fuction+1) my CPU temp never goes above about 60C. GPU temps are roughly the same. Never had any downclocking or shutdowns due to the temperature. The fan noise isn't too bad on full blast, the speaker audio can easily overpower it on only about half volume, if that. The NP9262 actually is known to have the best cooling system of any laptop on the market. The entire backside is basically one giant vent, and the underside has four fans. Take a look at the underside of mine.