Best Linux OS

spanky

I see that a lot of people run Ubuntu around here. My old roomate ran Fedora Core. So my question is pretty obvious, which is really the most popular or best linux? I ran a search on this but just got a bunch of discussion threads of linux related topics. Is there any problem running a triple boot?

patrickv

Grub or lilo will manage the boatloader for all 3 OS

The most PUPOLAR = UBUNTU
but fedora 7 and PClinux OS 2007 Final kills it

tell your friend to upgrade to Fedora 7..lol

brian

VIP Member
my dad worked for red hat so i just used fedora. i find that a lot of programs are conpadable with fedora (dont know about others) but i like it a lot. easy and nice graphical interface

munkyeetr

I ran Ubuntu for a few months, dual booting with Fedora 7. Both are stand-up OS's. I've been running Debian 4 for about 3 weeks now, no complaints (except that I can't get my Java runtime to install properly, but I haven't been putting too much time into it either)

Desktop Linux has matured quite a bit.

patrickv

see i told you not even in 30 minutes..lol
but you have to remember Pclinux also has a strong community forum

_simon_

I've tried a few including BSD and keep coming back to Ubuntu.

It's just so easy to use, installing stuff is a breeze, hardware support is great and the community support is fantastic.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
The best linux distro ive tried would be SUSE:)

it just looks nice and i find it easier to use than any of the others.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
amen to that.
They are all the same since the all use Gnome...lol
by the way i think you should try the New PCLinux, it's rock solid
www.pclinuxos.com/

That looks quite good,I might download it later :)

i need to download SUSE again but it takes forever to download on my connection :(
even on uk hosted sites it downloads slow :(

Impulse666

hmm. heres one for ya. get ubuntu, then run the rest in either a virtual machine or dual/triple/quad boot. then you get the best of all worlds.

*cough* Ubuntu pwns *cough*

:D

spanky

hmm. heres one for ya. get ubuntu, then run the rest in either a virtual machine or dual/triple/quad boot. then you get the best of all worlds.

No, I'm not getting Ubuntu. It's too popular and the name is pretty silly. I want Fedora or PClinux but question still stands.

patrickv

let's not start any arguments about who's better or not, stay on topic

_simon_

No, I'm not getting Ubuntu. It's too popular and the name is pretty silly. I want Fedora or PClinux but question still stands.

No offence but they have to be the dumbest reasons I have ever heard.

Ubuntu is an African word meaning 'Humanity to others', or 'I am what I am because of who we all are'. The Ubuntu distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world.

It's popular for a reason. I know people who have used Linux for years, they've tried Ubuntu wanting to see what the fuss is about and have decided to swap their current distro for it because they are that impressed.