Best Linux OS

patrickv

As i just said in another thread to someone else - pick a distro and try it, if you don't like it or it doesn't support your hardware then pick another and try that...keep going till you find one you get on with or decide Linux isn't for you...

i will agree with simon i will also stop recommending Distros, that is something very heated when started

tlarkin

VIP Member
i will agree with simon i will also stop recommending Distros, that is something very heated when started

Its kind of like trying to debate whether a Mac or a PC is better, they are both different things all together and you can't really compare them.

I could list off tons of reasons why every Linux distro sucks, and I mean every one of them. I haven't used all of them but I have used enough of them to realize that sometimes they just develop the OS is a completely sideways manner or implement new features which are not documented or the MAN page assume you are a Linux guru or the bash command uses some sort of dumb weird ass syntax you have never seen before, etc etc etc.

There is no perfect OS.

Windows and OS X ain't perfect either.

daredevilcsl

which linux is better for exchange server?

Hi all,
I have a problem here. Can i know which linux is the best for running exchange server?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hi all,
I have a problem here. Can i know which linux is the best for running exchange server?

You running a full on exchange solution with calendars, email and the whole 9 yards? If so, really to be completely honest MS Exchange server 2007 is actually not a bad product for that. I have to give MS credit there. I went to an MS training seminar a few months back for exchange 07, vista, server 2k3, and share points. Overall, I was most impressed with what exchange could do.

thanks for the info. but there is another question. can linux run on intel platform?

Yes Linux can run on x86 and PPC technology

daredevilcsl

You running a full on exchange solution with calendars, email and the whole 9 yards? If so, really to be completely honest MS Exchange server 2007 is actually not a bad product for that. I have to give MS credit there. I went to an MS training seminar a few months back for exchange 07, vista, server 2k3, and share points. Overall, I was most impressed with what exchange could do.

Yes Linux can run on x86 and PPC technology

ya we did think of the MS Exchange 2007 but my manager is trying to avoid MS product as for the last 2 years the MS exchange it give alot of trouble and licensing issues.(No offences on the comment) So now he is trying to look for other solution to give a better support as so far what i know is that linux based server OS is consider over 90% more stable then MS OS and it even free licensing...that is the important point..hehe..;)

daredevilcsl

tlarkin

VIP Member
Its not free and you must pay for a subscription license just like any other exchange like server solution.

http://www.open-xchange.com/?id=54

Also do you run blackberry enterprise server at your work? In all honesty if so your best bets are Novell, MS Exchange, or possibly one of the pay for open source solutions like the one linked.

daredevilcsl

after i have install the GUI with the command (sudo aptitude install x-window-system-core gnome-core)when i start with the command (startx) there is only mouse cursor and nothing else...is there any step i miss it? i can't see any GUI at all...except the mouse cursor help....!!!!

spanky

BTW, for now I've decided upon using DreamLinux and Elive unless I find something better but I doubt that.