best pc game for n00b?

demonikal

I haven't truly played pc games since Quake II (and then the first Quake after) and then Fallout (the first one). That was back in 1999.

There's so many diff kinds of games now. Seems there's diff categories of FPS and RPG and stuff. If Fallout is considered an RPG, then I like that kind of game. And I liked Quake II a lot, and I know that's a FPS.

I'd like to get back into gaming and see what happens (for a hobby). If anyone has any suggestions for games for a n00b that aren't gonna confuse me to death, but at the same time don't only require an internet connection to play with other users (since I would most certainly die within half a second), then I'd be really happy to see your ideas. Thanks.

linkin

VIP Member
Here's a tip: Most modern games hold your hand, funnel you down a corridor and drag you along by the nostrils. Shooters especially. That and they all try to be cinematic (ie like movies, not a game)

The hitman series (excluding hitman absolution) and far cry (excluding far cry 3) series are all top notch.

demonikal

Thanks linkin.

I'm sure that's good to know. I don't want to be coddled while I'm trying to play a game. I just don't want a game where I'll have no chance at surviving more than a few seconds since I have no clue what I'm doing. My fav weapon in Quake II online play was actual the BFG - the one gun that took the longest to re-load. I got so good at that game that my university classes suffered for it. Haha.

I'll look into those. I was seriously hoping someone wasn't going to say, "Try a free game first. You've been away from gaming for too long." I'm willing to pay - just not willing to pay for weapons, etc., to get ahead of other users. No point in it when starting out anyway. Maybe paying for that stuff only applies to WoW anyway. I dunno.

Btw, I saw that Metallica/Cobain video several months ago from just browsing YouTube. Pretty sweet.

Punk

Staff member
Here's a tip: Most modern games hold your hand, funnel you down a corridor and drag you along by the nostrils. Shooters especially. That and they all try to be cinematic (ie like movies, not a game)

Max Payne 3 was awesome. Great story and good action!

demonikal

Thanks, Punk (no offense) :D

I'll read up on Max Payne too. I got to get some ideas before I dive into one game. Maybe I'll decide on a game, think it's a waste of time and then get another one. Ya never know. I'm sure the same thing has happened with you. Maybe not.

Max Payne 3 was awesome. Great story and good action!

Max Payne 3 was a disappointment compared to MP1 and MP2. Yes the graphics where outstanding but it was missing the dark, evil aspect which made the previous Max Payne games legends in my book. I got it on Steam a week after it came out for $30, and I just lost all interest in it within a month. But its just me :X

The hitman series (excluding hitman absolution) and far cry (excluding far cry 3) series are all top notch.

I enjoyed beating the Original Hitman 47 on PC back in 2001, on an old ass computer which I have no idea how it managed to run the game lol. Most kids of the new generation don't know the history behind Agent 47 and that he is a Clone made up from the genes of some of the top assassins in the world, but no spoilers in case you guys haven't played the First Hitman.

As for Hitman Absolution, I find it quiet enjoyable, the story is very good, the graphics are definitely looking great even though the new game play experience has changed in some ways, in my opinion it has managed to pull of a good ambiance all through out the game, putting it in a different scale of its own, compared to the older Hitman games, but yet in the end it is still quiet an enjoyable experience to play as Agent 47 yet again. As I usually feel, there is no point on paying full retail value for 90% of the games now a days, so either wait for it to get on sale or do what I did and buy a Steam Code on eBay for $55 which included Hitman Absolution (Steam) Sleeping Dogs (Steam) And Far Cry 3 PreOrder (Ubiplay)

I paid $55 for mine last week http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Never-Settle-Farcry-3-Hitman-Absolution-Sleeping-Dogs-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD-/321034614884?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4abf277864

I loved playing Far Cry 1, Far Cry 2 not so much. Far Cry 3 is going to be an amazing story, amazing graphics, and amazing scenery with Huge maps. I'm really looking forward to it, and I'm counting down the days for it to finally be released.

On the same note (Gaming) I bought my first COD game ever when Black Ops 2 came out on Steam. The games multiplayer is freaking fun, I mean is just great, maybe cause I have never really played COD before so it doesn't feel like any other game I played before. I love the killstreak and the cartoonish, slick looking graphics for the Multiplayer and Zombies. Hands down is a very fun game to play, simple yet entertaining. However as for the Single Player Black Ops 2, it was a horrific surprise which left me with such a bad taste in my mouth within my first hour of playing, that I will not be returning to it anymore. The single player for Black Ops 2 In My Opinion is horrible, cookie cutter, copy and paste type of deal and the animations are horrible, at least to me they are when comparing it to other modern recent games. The cut scenes just look bad. I'm not saying the story might not be great but just the whole visual aspect for the Single Player game play made me feel unatracted to keep playing and see what happens next.

Truth be told I'm still happy with this game despite that this is one of those games I did pay full retail value on Steam. I wouldn't buy it for the Story at all though only for the Multiplayer experience.
For a good Single Player story, Campaign, I would recommend Battlefield 3 or even Medal of Honor Warfighter.
But For a Fun military FPS Multiplayer defenitly BF3 or BO2.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Max Payne 3 was a disappointment compared to MP1 and MP2. Yes the graphics where outstanding but it was missing the dark, evil aspect which made the previous Max Payne games legends in my book. I got it on Steam a week after it came out for $30, and I just lost all interest in it within a month. But its just me :X

It wasn't dark enough for you?? WTF?

Masterfulks

If I were you I'd read a bunch of reviews and watch the steam sales.

You should get Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. It is an FPS RPG. I think you'll like it as it's pretty open so you can do what you want when you want. You'll be able to find them cheap due to them being out for a little while.

[UT]VBF7uX73j-s[/UT]

wolfeking

banned
@OP: I personally like Men of Honor. It pretty much gives you a crash coarse right off the bat, and is more or less a WWII version of CNC.

If you like simulation games, 18WOS:ALH is pretty good. Not good for more than just killing time, but perfectly fine for someone just getting into gaming.

FPS: See if you can find MOH:AA, MOH:pA, or MOH:Airborne and try their single player missions. Very good games if you like FPS games. IMO they were always better than Brothers In Arms, and matched COD easily. Never have like its multiplayer system though.

If you like a mix between RTS and FPS, then you can try BF1942 or BF2. Right now BF1942 is completely free, and it will run on pretty much any modern computer. Has Axis and Allied single player mode, and the same controls as most other FPS games. Very fun. http://store.origin.com/store/ea/en_US/html/pbPage.demos-en_US

Punk

Staff member
Not at all, did you even beat MP1 and 2? If you did then you would know what I'm talking about. It is missing the dark, aspect of the Original Max Payne

Nope did not played MP 1 and 2 but that's not the point. It's maybe not as dark as the first two but it's good enough!

Virssagòn

VIP Member
If you liked fallout before, you must certainly try the new in the serie. They are pretty good, I enjoyed playing it.
Maybe GTA4 or Saints row the third should something for you too.
The game I liked best in singleplayer rpg category were the elder scroll series (especially skyrim) and the witcher 2.
You can get skyrim pretty cheap atm, it's a great game. Oblivion and Morrowind are also good, both maybe 5-10 dollars.
I don't really like borderlands.
If you're more into horror/adventure, dead island is also a really good game, in some aspect it's even a funny game :D.

All that been said, you got tons of other great games. But everyone have other likes.

Punk

Staff member
That is my point. Case closed.;)

What are you talking about? All I'm saying is that MP3 IS dark and good enough. All you're saying is "Oh you haven't played MP1 and MP2"... So basically I can't tell if it is dark or not because I haven't played the first two? Dafuq?:confused:

What are you talking about? All I'm saying is that MP3 IS dark and good enough. All you're saying is "Oh you haven't played MP1 and MP2"... So basically I can't tell if it is dark or not because I haven't played the first two? Dafuq?:confused:
Calm down, no one is trying to flame. You are contradicting your self, and you are clearly re-stating exactly what I'm saying.
Is true, if you haven't play the OG MP what gives you the over authoritative power to say that I'm wrong? Its logical, and again you are saying it your self "So basically I can't tell if its dark or not because I haven't played the first two?" Yes exactly, you can't unless you have a contrast to compare to, that means that you have played the OG MP games, but you haven't, so how would you know? You don't lol. No need to flame man. I'm sure not trying to start a flame war about a game hehe. Just stating the truth, in a direct and straight forward manner. Maybe you should check out the OG MP 1 and 2, you can get both on Steam I believe for under $15, I would start there :D

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Calm down, no one is trying to flame. You are contradicting your self, and you are clearly re-stating exactly what I'm saying.
Is true, if you haven't play the OG MP what gives you the over authoritative power to say that I'm wrong? Its logical, and again you are saying it your self "So basically I can't tell if its dark or not because I haven't played the first two?" Yes exactly you can't unless you have a contrast to compare to, if not how else would you know? You don't lol.

Saying it is dark doesn't require that you play any game. The guys is a freakin' suicidal drunk. That's not dark? I wasn't comparing to anything at all that's what you don't seem to understand.
And how the hell am I contradicting myself??:confused:

Saying it is dark doesn't require that you play any game. The guys is a freakin' suicidal drunk. That's not dark? I wasn't comparing to anything at all that's what you don't seem to understand.
And how the hell am I contradicting myself??:confused:
You are contradicting your self by saying "No I haven't played the OG Max Payne" and yet stating that is dark. You have to understand what Max Payne (OG) was all about in order to see what I'm saying, to do that you have to play the OG MP games. There is nothing darker in Max Payne 3 than there is in any other game of 2012, and I say that in a very broad way, but it remains true none the less.
Again, you clearly haven't played the OG Max Payne in order to have a clear contrast and idea to what I'm directly referring about. You are talking about the Max Payne Now, and I'm talking about the Max Payne not only now but since it began as a whole, in contrast.
Yes I understand, he is a suicidal drunk and they depict that well in MP3 all through out the story but what I'm saying is that on the OG MP games not only do they depict Max Payne as desperate Psychopath but they actually bring you into those "Realms" of his mind and show you exactly what he is feeling and seeing as you play through his nightmares. I don't want to spoil it for you but on the OG MP 1-2 he has hallucinations and trips of sorts, which immerses you even deeper into the whole Max character rather than just looking at Max narrating his thoughts and feelings while he drinks a bottle of whiskey and pops a tons of pills. That has beign done in tons of games in just 2012 alone. Those hallucinations and bad rips are the experiences which where landmarks for the 2 OG Max Payne games, landmarks which are missing on the new Max Payne. They brought you into those dark experiences, right into Max nightmares. They don't do this in such emersive manner as they did on the OG MP in MP 3.

Last edited: