Best temp monitoring software?

dan_plus_o

Hello I used to use Nvidia's Ntune to monitor my temps but after having my CMOS screw up over and over again and reading online that Ntune is the problem I have gotten rid of it.

So now I am in search for some good temp monitoring software..

Any recommendations?

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
nTune is the devil!

Compare to bios, theres speedfan, PC Wizard, and CoreTemp. Then you can determine which is most accurate on your system

dan_plus_o

nTune is the devil!

It sure is.. My system is only 1 week old so it gave me a scare and I thought I would have to deal with Tiger Direct again and try to return it (I really don't like that store, atleast the Canadian one).

That is a good idea to compare them with the bios.. I will do that..

Thanks

Kornowski

VIP Member
Intel TAT is supposed to be the most accurate for the Core 2 Duo's.

I wouldn't go by the BIOS, I mean, do you really think my CPU is running at 19c!? I don't!

Kornowski

VIP Member
what is it on load? -80*c??

lol, No! Actually about -120c :p

Remember that problem I was having with stupidly high temps? Well, Instead of using TAT for full load, I used ORTHOS CPU stress and I only get 47c load, and it's never going to get that bad, so I'm rather please :D

Anyway, I wouldn't use the BIOS dude, or Speedfan realy, to be honest.

Either Core Temp or Intel TAT :)

dan_plus_o

Okay thanks.. I will try them all out and see how they all compare to each other..

P.S. I added my computer specs to my signature so now I am cool like you guys.. lol :p :p

Last edited:

dan_plus_o

I toke a screen shot of all four programs running at them same time.

I am pretty confused at all the different temps that are being displayed.

The Core 0 and Core 1 (Core 1 and 2 for PC Wizard) temps are all pretty much the same (exept for the PC Wizard Core 2, which did go up to 17 a little bit later).

"Core temp" is showing 32c for both cores which pretty much matches the CPU temp for Speedfan. PC Wizard however shows the CPU temp to be a low 25.5c

I checked the bios and at that time the temps were:
CPU: 41
BOARD: 25
MCP: 42

Every program seems to be some what off from one another so I am totaly confused on which one I should use.

Also, how are my temps looking? I am planning on getting a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink for the cpu.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Looking at that, I'd say your temps are 17c, which is, very, very, very good! :p

I wouldn't get a new cooler if that one is doing that well!

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I toke a screen shot of all four programs running at them same time.

I am pretty confused at all the different temps that are being displayed.

The Core 0 and Core 1 (Core 1 and 2 for PC Wizard) temps are all pretty much the same (exept for the PC Wizard Core 2, which did go up to 17 a little bit later).

"Core temp" is showing 32c for both cores which pretty much matches the CPU temp for Speedfan. PC Wizard however shows the CPU temp to be a low 25.5c

I checked the bios and at that time the temps were:
CPU: 41
BOARD: 25
MCP: 42

Every program seems to be some what off from one another so I am totaly confused on which one I should use.

Also, how are my temps looking? I am planning on getting a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink for the cpu.

I've had the same problems with finding an "accurate" temperature. I've used all the same programs you're using. Run Orthos 95 overnight. This program will stress your CPU, increasing the temperatures of the cores. If you run the program for several hours without errors, then your temps should be fine.

dan_plus_o

So I got Orthos 95 and had that running for a while.. I didn't check back on it for 1 hour and by that time there was a high pitched noise coming from the CPU area. I thought maybe it was the fan so I stopped the fan with my finger and when the fan started back up the tone of the high pitch noise changed..

Does anyone know what that might be? Could it just be the crappy fan that came with the stock CPU heatsink? I have already bought an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink, now I am just waiting for it to come in the mail.

I have played games like (BioShock and Rainbow Six Vegas) for probably around 2 hours straight and I have never heard this high pitched noise. That little program must really torture the CPU.

tuxify

After overclocking my cpu to an unstable rate, then running orthos, my mobo beeped a lot. I think that means it's unstable, but if you haven't overclocked you CPU yet, I don't know what it could be...

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It is not really a beeping but more of a squealing noise.

If your 8 pin CPU power cord is not properly seated, the 680i will make a VERY LOUD noise similar to what you're describing. Double check that connection (if you haven't already). Are you overclocking the E6850?

tuxify

Could just be something hitting against the fan. Try taking the fan off and making sure no wires are near where the fan would be.