Best temp monitoring software?

dan_plus_o

-My CPU is not overclocked

-I am pretty sure the CPU power connector is all the way in. I haven't turned my PC off yet to try unplugging it but I pushed down on it to make sure it was in all the way.

-The squealing only started after 1 hour of running Orthos 95 so I don't think the fan is hitting anything..

Like I said before when I stopped the fan and then it started up again the tone of squeal changed. So could it just be the fan motor? It is a stock intel heatsink.. I do have a new heatsink coming in the mail soon so I guess I will find out.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
-My CPU is not overclocked

When you get your new HSF, consider overclocking the E6850. It has a lot of potential. :D

-The squealing only started after 1 hour of running Orthos 95 so I don't think the fan is hitting anything..

Like I said before when I stopped the fan and then it started up again the tone of squeal changed. So could it just be the fan motor? It is a stock intel heatsink.. I do have a new heatsink coming in the mail soon so I guess I will find out.

It could be the stock HSF. You'll find out soon enough. Keep us updated! :)

dan_plus_o

So I have my heatsink but I have been putting off installing it because I don't want to mess up my cpu. I'm Scared :(

The Artic Silver 5 instructions for the Intel core 2 duo look pretty easy but how am I supposed to know how high the line is? They show you how long and how wide the line of thermal paster should be but not the height. I guess the tube it comes in will only let out so much from the hole so I guess it would be as high as the diameter of the hole??

I am hoping the heatsink will fit.. It looks like it will be a tight fit between the North bridge heatsink and the cpu heatsink.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So I have my heatsink but I have been putting off installing it because I don't want to mess up my cpu. I'm Scared :(

Go for it. You won't "mess up" the CPU.

The Artic Silver 5 instructions for the Intel core 2 duo look pretty easy but how am I supposed to know how high the line is? They show you how long and how wide the line of thermal paster should be but not the height. I guess the tube it comes in will only let out so much from the hole so I guess it would be as high as the diameter of the hole??

Applying TP is sort of a science. The "Kornowski Method" states the following:
Also, just apply a thin layer of the TP down the middle, don't do anything with it, when you put the HSF on it will spread it around...

I am hoping the heatsink will fit.. It looks like it will be a tight fit between the North bridge heatsink and the cpu heatsink.

Don't be intimidated. Practice makes perfect. :D Put it on, and see what happens.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Usually the program specifically made for the CPU/motherboard is the most accurate, atleast for me. All the 3rd party programs says that my CPU is running at 90ºC =O.

dan_plus_o

Yeah... I have Ntune, but there is no way in hell I am going to install that crap again. It kept screwing up my bios settings every time the computer rebooted.

There is the Intel TAT program which I am trying out (I have an Intel CPU).

I will install my new heatsink tomorrow.

SpeedFan is saying my Core temp is 54c and it shows a fire picture. Is that a high temp for the core? I am not even sure what the Core temp is... It already has Core 0 and Core 1 Temp so what is the temperature that just says Core?

Also Intel TaT is now showing both cores to be 23c. When i toke the screen shot of the other temps I didn't have any Firewall or Virus programs running, now I am running Kasper Sky Internet Security, Firefox, and some other little stuff.... I don't know why I am going on about my Core temps when i am going to be installing a new heatsink tomorrow, so I'll shutup now.. LOL

Last edited:
SpeedFan is saying my Core temp is 54c and it shows a fire picture. Is that a high temp for the core? I am not even sure what the Core temp is... It already has Core 0 and Core 1 Temp so what is the temperature that just says Core?

For me, "Core" is my GPU. I also have a CPU and Core 0-3 temps. According to SpeedFan, my current GPU temp is 51ºC.

Hsv_Man

The best temperature monitoring software i believe is Motherboard Monitor it is full on 100% accurate and with this program you will know everything about all your temperature gauges on your machine

oscaryu1

VIP Member
The best temperature monitoring software i believe is Motherboard Monitor it is full on 100% accurate and with this program you will know everything about all your temperature gauges on your machine

Really? I still can't believe that my CPU is @ 347C... Man, it's getting hot in here... :eek:

dan_plus_o

so I got the new heatsink on and the temps are lower.

I ran ORTHOS and within 5 minutes the squeaking noise came back. The sound it definately coming from the CPU area and the pitch of the squeak kept changing each time the CPU temp changed. Any ideas what it is?

dan_plus_o

It made the noise with the stock Intel heatsink I used, I just replaced it with an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink and the noise is still there.

Could my motherboard be messed up? I did a search and read about other people having squeaking noises from the 680i motherboard.

I have never heard this noise during normal use. I have played BioShock for 2-3 hours straight and it never made any noises. It is only when I run the orthos program. But should any computer be able to run the orthos test with out any problems?

My motherboard is around 2 weeks old now so if there is a problem I would like to get it sorted out asap.

Actually the box that I got from Tiger Direct that had my Motherboard and Graphics card in it looked like it was opened and all the wrapping that comes around the individual item box was slit open. Now if I was the one who received this box I would of never signed for it but my mother was the one who signed for it when I wasn't home. I figured whatever and just wanted to try it out and hope for the best. All the little foam packaging pieces were missing too and I know it had foam stuff in it because there were a few pieces of it still in the box. Now I am Canadian and this shipment did come from across the border so I thought maybe customs opened it all up. But why would all the foam be missing so who knows what happened. I do know that I hate dealing with Tiger Direct and think it will be a huge hassle (shipping back to states at my expense and hope I get it back).

Here is quick story about my experience with Tiger Direct:

I order a motherboard, Graphics card, and Windows XP OS. The box arrived like I descried above and the Windows XP cd was not in the box. Phone them up and tell them it was missing. Ended up getting a refund and having to place another payment to get it shipped back to me. They ended up charging $20 more then what I originally paid for the XP OS and they also charged me shipping for a mistake they probably made themselves. I ended up getting the XP OS about a week later and ended up phoning Tiger Direct to clear up the $20 more and shipping charge. They refunded the $20 and the shipping charge and now Tiger Direct is my number one hated computer store. For one thing I didn't even know the stuff was coming from the US.

They say this on their site:

TigerDirect.ca is headquartered at:
55 East Beaver Creek Rd. Unit G
Richmond Hill, ON
Canada, L4B 1E5

So I naturally expected the items would be shipping from within Canada. I didn't however have to pay any duties when it went over the border but if I did I would of been really :mad:

EDIT: Forgot to say.. I bought all my other stuff from DirectCanada.com and I highly recommend them to anyone who lives in Canada. Great deals on shipping right now, I ended up getting free shipping for my Antec case and a bunch of other stuff. Ended up hating the keyboard I got from them and the heatsink I got didn't work with my motherboard. Ended up shipping them both back and got refunded very fast. Later bought another heatsink and some other little stuff with no problems. And they are stationed really close to were I live so I get the stuff pretty fast.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
It made the noise with the stock Intel heatsink I used, I just replaced it with an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro heatsink and the noise is still there.

I did a search and read about other people having squeaking noises from the 680i motherboard.

I have never heard this noise during normal use. I have played BioShock for 2-3 hours straight and it never made any noises. It is only when I run the orthos program. But should any computer be able to run the orthos test with out any problems?

The only problems that occur when running a program like Orthos would be: your computer freezing, shutting down, or restarting. You should not hear that sound.

Can you be more specific about the "squeaking noises" others have experienced? Did they return their board? If so, did that solve the problem?

My motherboard is around 2 weeks old now so if there is a problem I would like to get it sorted out asap.

You may need to return the board.

dan_plus_o

Can you be more specific about the "squeaking noises" others have experienced? Did they return their board? If so, did that solve the problem?

The people who posted about their squeaky board never said what the end result was, at least I never read about it.

I am probably going to post about this on the EVGA board and see what kinda replies I get there.

Here is the other post about a squeaking 680i motherboard: http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-17624.html
As you can see the guy never posted what ended up happening. I might just try and get it replaced by EVGA themselves so I don't have to deal with Tiger Direct. I have also already mailed in the rebate so that will probably complicate things.

Or I was even thinking if I can end up returning it for my money I may get the A1 version instead.

Here is another post I found (which I am reading right now): http://evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=33581&mpage=1&key=

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Capacitor ?

Yup. That appears to be the case.

You could exchange the board. It's unlikely that you'll have the same problems again. If you get a refund, you probably will not receive the rebate. If you do, that's great. A little extra cash for your troubles. :)

Last edited: