best web browser

jaipandya

Which one is the best web browser?........or your favorite?

1)firefox

2)opera

3)internet explorer

why and why not others?

Last edited:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ok

Well I would not name THE BEST BROWSER, cause that will alaways be a matter of personal opinion and preference. I personally believe that Firefox is a an excellet, ever evolving browser. Opera is a good alternative, especially the 8 beta for example. As far as Internet Exlplorer 6 is concerned, i like it the most. That however has to do with me designing webpages that used to cause problems to mozilla and opera. That's no longer the case though. I guess I like the risk that IE 6 carries with it. I also thinkk that with the growing market share, it will be apparent that bugs will be discovered even in Firefox.

JAN :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Is it the most secure? No. But is it the most widely used?

The fact that 94% of computers with an internet browser still have IE set as their default browser tells me all I need to know. jancz3rt pointed out the advantage for web-based programers...

There are advantages and disadvantages for each, that is why they still exist. I use and continue to use IE because there are few site limitations. I can enter a site and will not be greated with error messages because my browser does support, for example, ActiveX controls or Java.

Firefox does not allow ActiveX. For security reasons it is great, but for being able to view a website with interactive web content, it sucks!

jaipandya

compatibility is ok! but why do u forget the other features of these browsers?
like opera......really it is faster. it gives u two modes. author mode and user mode.....and i like it very much. you can see the web page in the form, you want. u can disable images, or can see just cached images. there are many mouse gestures. you can control the browser with only a keyboard, no need of a mouse. which makes it very fast. and of couse.......tabed browsing...I love it. In IE, sometimes you have to find---which page was open, when multiple pages are open. and in opera or firefox this all can be handled with the cool tabs.
So.........I think you should have any of opera and firefox. and remember.....firefox also doesn't recommend removing IE. it says...you use firefox. where IE is needed, you can use IE also.

Morb

From options listed I have personal experience only with IE and Opera. And from long term testing both of these I could tell you that Opera is the best ;-) (It's more faster(IE seems too, but almost 80% of IE is integrated in explorer and running in backround as service as computer starts up - shit ;o). Much more opera has built-in e-mail client, download manager or transfer manager(NOT exact name ;) and it's application of plug-in type(good for customizing). Security and mouse gestures are good too.

I do not have experience with FIREFOX. Try asking someone else ;)

built in e-mail client, eh? well i guess i got the next best thing... when i downloaded firefox i saw something else off to the side. it's called mozilla thunderbird, an e-mail service of sorts that seems similar to microsoft outlook/outlook express. but thunderbird makes outlook look like a pire of puke. anyways... i guess i'd like to bring mozilla into my "internet fun" in anyways possible. opera does seem nice though... can you have opera and firefox?
:confused:

Geoff

VIP Member
I find opera to be the best since you have tabs and it displays the connection speed, images loaded out of how many left and a lot more on the bottom of the screen. However, a few websites only work with internet explorer so ise IE when you need to go to a site that it not compatible with any other browser.

red onion

Firefox wins hands down.
Greater security then IE, no pop ups, skinnable, millions of extensions to customize it the way I want. Tabs are great too. It is open source and cross-platform.
Opera is a fairly decent 2nd, but I cannot add search engines to it :-(

Yes you can have multiple browsers on the same system, I have Firefox, Mozilla, Internet Explorer and Opera

jaipandya, IE is part of Windows, you cannot remove it--it is part of windows explorer, you can hide it, but if you try to remove it, you may have to reinstall windows ;)

zilla

SFR said:
Is it the most secure? No. But is it the most widely used?

The fact that 94% of computers with an internet browser still have IE set as their default browser tells me all I need to know. jancz3rt pointed out the advantage for web-based programers...

There are advantages and disadvantages for each, that is why they still exist. I use and continue to use IE because there are few site limitations. I can enter a site and will not be greated with error messages because my browser does support, for example, ActiveX controls or Java.

Firefox does not allow ActiveX. For security reasons it is great, but for being able to view a website with interactive web content, it sucks!

Isn't that pretty misleading though? I mean, of that 94%, how many actually know there are other browsers out there? The VAST majority of people don't. That's for sure. At least the publicity Firefox has gotten lately has made people aware that there are other options, even if they don't choose to use them.

JAT

SFR

Truth fears no questions
zilla said:
Isn't that pretty misleading though? I mean, of that 94%, how many actually know there are other browsers out there? The VAST majority of people don't. That's for sure. At least the publicity Firefox has gotten lately has made people aware that there are other options, even if they don't choose to use them.
zilla said:

I understand what you are saying. But remember the giant lawsuit Netscape launched onto Microsoft? I believe Netscape imagined that they not only would stop Microsoft from including IE etc.. and change the landscape of the software industry, but also that they would get some "free" publicity from the media.

Netscape hoped to show the public that IE was not the only way to go. But as the number suggest, that never worked.

You are right, the vast majority of people have not heard of any of the other browsers. Because IE comes with windows OS, the majority of computer users do not waste their time with other browsers (convenience, "if it aint broke, don’t fix it" mentality)… I continue to use IE …. I have tried (I admit, they are older versions) Opera, FireFox, Modzilla… and have only seen and disliked the limitations. Newer versions, less limitations, I get it… but I will blindly follow the 94%... until something that is vastly superior to IE comes along.

zilla

Yeah, I definitely do remember that lawsuit and the implied ramifications of it. To me Firefox is a much better program than netscape, netscape didn't offer any features that were any different than what IE was doing at the time.

jesbax

I use Netscape Navigator 7.2. IT uses less memory and more user friendly than any others that i have used.

The-Llamalizer

I would have to go Firefox. Themes are cool, extensions are cool, no viruses is cool, and no popups is cool. I don't see how you can lose. Also, the speed is comperable or better than that of IE.

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
The-Llamalizer said:
I would have to go Firefox. Themes are cool, extensions are cool, no viruses is cool, and no popups is cool. I don't see how you can lose.

ActiveX controls usually will not work. Parts of Microsofts Java Runtime environment.... (theres always Sun's virtual machine) VML/VML scripting doesnt work..... theres some stuff, but I think at some point there will be a version of FireFox I will try. But not yet.

Verrona

I wud recommend IE, cos it compatiable with almost most websites, unlike others. it also loads quicker

Terry

As for me Opera is the fastest browser on the earth. It satisfies my needs totally.
However there is one thing that borrows me. It takes a lot of memory for using it.
And as to the other browsers they are also good, but personally I prefer Opera :)

FSB

I use maxthon (it's based on IE)... tabbed and a lot of features
Opera is faster, but it doesn't have all of the features I need, and it also has problems with javascripts and more... Tried even Opera 8 beta but it's not good for me