BIOS Update led to BSoD

MonsieurWolf

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a gaming PC a week ago. My games were playing at 8-10 fps, so I figured I needed to update my motherboard (Z170 PRO Gaming Asus). I went through all the correct measures and the download was even stated as being 'complete'. However, as soon as the system automatically restarted, there was the blue screen with no error code and seemingly no resolution. I've pretty much done everything to solve the issue on the blue screen with no success, my only other hope is finding some resolution in the BIOS, before consulting a PC repair store.

Laquer Head

Regardless of the blue screen can you enter the BIOS currently?

Does the computer even boot into Windows or does in blue screen before windows loads?

What version of windows are you using?

Which BIOS revision did you attempt to flash to? and did you download it directly from Asus official site?

MonsieurWolf

I can enter the BIOS. But the computer loads the Asus intro screen and then immediately states "attempting to repair" before going into the blue screen. I am using Windows 10 and I did get the update from the Asus website using the correct model. The current is listed in the BIOS, which is version 3402.

Attachments

• IMG_1655.PNG
    IMG_1655.PNG
    226.8 KB · Views: 5

Laquer Head

So when the computer is off and then as soon as you hit power....if you spam the DEL key.. you can get into the BIOS.... but then it somehow kicks you out to the Asus Post/Splash screen.. then attempts to boot and fails?

MonsieurWolf

I can get into BIOS fine. It's just when I want to continue into Windows 10, it simply goes to the blue screen. I'll try to upload a video of my start up menu now.

Laquer Head

I would try to repair windows first..or reinstall fresh as a worst case scenario before messing further in BIOS though, as it seems to be a windows issues..

MonsieurWolf

Just tried to enter safe mode from the blue screen, didn't work. Looks like I'll have to download the Windows 10 installation from another computer.

MonsieurWolf

Pretty sure I've screwed it now. Re-applied the update and on the start menu it stated to switch the SATA to RAID mode. Did that, then stated 'missing operating system'. On a positive note, at least I'm not getting a blue screen anymore...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you updated bios it reset some bios settings. Were you running in ahci mode? If so, you need to change it back.

MonsieurWolf

I've conceded. I'll will take my PC into a repair shop instead. I appreciate everyone's advice, but I am outright vexed. I feel anymore configuring might led me to physically damage £1,700 worth of equipment.

Laquer Head

Were you using a RAID configuration before? If so, in reinstalling windows it would have broken that volume/deleted it all, and if you didnt build a new raid volume prior to that install then windows probably either installed on only one disc..or the install buggered up.

If no raid volume..did you set it back to boot from HDD/SSD or where ever your windows install is? instead of usb!

MonsieurWolf

You want me to change the boot priority? I don't think I was using RAID configuration before, but that's what the new motherboard update said.

Laquer Head

You want me to change the boot priority? I don't think I was using RAID configuration before, but that's what the new motherboard update said.

Well, you'd know if you were running a RAID config (2 or more identical hard drives or solid state drives)..Assuming you are not doing this, then no you don't want RAID selected,.. you'd want AHCI mode as @johnb35 mentioned.

You also need to make sure where ever you installed windows that is where computer is booting from..in a perfect world the computer would know automatically but many dont and you need to select the boot device manually.