BIOS UPdate

Xp_Office

hi recently upgrade my ram from 2gb to 4gb but only reads 2.5gb but went to bios settings says total memory 4gb total available memory 2.5gb, my operating system is vista business but i know on 32byte only shows 3.3 or 3.5gb of ram i was wondering if there is any updates for my bios here is the spec of my bios.

Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
Version : W8350F03
Date : 08/24/2007 (mm/dd/yyyy)
Address : 0x0 on 1024 KB
Copyright : (C)2005 American Megatrends, Inc
Motherboard ID : 64-0100-009999-00101111-082407-Calistoga-W8350F03
DMI Version : 2.3

PC eye

banned
The main download page for updates is seen at http://support.alienware.co.uk/Support_Pages/Restricted_Pages/driver_downloads.aspx

Once you have the correct board selected from the list you click the next button in order to move onto the page for the various downloads available. The bios is reading the correct amount of memory installed while Windows is simply showing what is available for programs once the system processes and board have already taken some 512mb or better.

Okedokey

A 32 bit OS can only address a total of 4GB ram. That includes your graphics cards, sound cards etc and system memory (e.g. all memory). So, given the fact that you have 2 x 512mb of memory on your GPUs, that takes 1gb of memory address space. That leaves 3GB. The other 512mb (ie to make 2.5gb available) may be being used in hard drive memory and sound integrated memory. SP1 has changed Vista to show all of the installed memory but that doesnt mean that it is available. It sounds to me that you only have 2.5GB available to be addressed to due to the 32bit OS limitations and becuase you have taken up addressable memory with other hardware. It sounds about right to me. You could also check that your onboard graphics is disabled and therefore not taking any addressable memory.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
You always want any onboard video or sound disabled as a rule anyways if you have an expansion card for either installed. One setting in the bios on many allows for increasing or decreasing the amount of shared memory being the aperature size.

That was more commonly increased for the smaller sized AGP cards while the default 64mb is quite adequate for the newer larger sized PCI-E model cards seen at this time. It should be at the default 64mb but if not that would account for seeing less ram available to a degree.

Xp_Office

A 32 bit OS can only address a total of 4GB ram. That includes your graphics cards, sound cards etc and system memory (e.g. all memory). So, given the fact that you have 2 x 512mb of memory on your GPUs, that takes 1gb of memory address space. That leaves 3GB. The other 512mb (ie to make 2.5gb available) may be being used in hard drive memory and sound integrated memory. SP1 has changed Vista to show all of the installed memory but that doesnt mean that it is available. It sounds to me that you only have 2.5GB available to be addressed to due to the 32bit OS limitations and becuase you have taken up addressable memory with other hardware. It sounds about right to me. You could also check that your onboard graphics is disabled and therefore not taking any addressable memory.

32bit can only go to 3.5gb not 4gb, doesnt include the graphics cards at the 2 cards has its own 512mb the memory in the hard drive is virtual memory it is store on the hard drive but does not get used unless the main memory is full

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
A BIOS update won't allow the OS to address 4GB of RAM. You'll need to install a 64 bit operating system to use the total amount.

jdbennet

A BIOS update won't allow the OS to address 4GB of RAM

well, yes sort of. A PAE compatible OS and CPU can allow a 32 bit OS and CPU to use up to 64gb. Windows XP is just limited at 4gb because thats how MS make thier money. A PAE enabled 32 bit copy of 2003 Enterprise can handle 32gb.

PC eye

banned
The following edition of Windows Server could go higher. But how is that possible? A server edition is network orientated. For a stand alone desktop however you are not logging onto a network in order to get to the desktop in that sense.

It's not so much that MS made the big bucks as it is the limitations seen with 32bit kernel. MS plans to dump 32bit editions all together following the release of the next version(Windows 7) due to the vast changes in hardwares and Vista's long overdue release. 512mb to 768mb then followed by 1gb was what was seen at XP's release to then see 4-8gb even 16gb boards coming out at Long Horn's? "64bit is soon to be!"

StrangleHold

Staff member
hi recently upgrade my ram from 2gb to 4gb but only reads 2.5gb but went to bios settings says total memory 4gb total available memory 2.5gb, my operating system is vista business but i know on 32byte only shows 3.3 or 3.5gb of ram i was wondering if there is any updates for my bios here is the spec of my bios.

Manufacturer : American Megatrends Inc.
Version : W8350F03
Date : 08/24/2007 (mm/dd/yyyy)
Address : 0x0 on 1024 KB
Copyright : (C)2005 American Megatrends, Inc
Motherboard ID : 64-0100-009999-00101111-082407-Calistoga-W8350F03
DMI Version : 2.3

With your 32bit OS and running SLI, some of the memory is mapped by the IO as in things that run off the PCI/AGP or PCIe bus. So running 2 cards in SLI will eat more of it.

Okedokey

Firstly mep916 is 100% right.

A BIOS update won't allow the OS to address 4GB of RAM. You'll need to install a 64 bit operating system to use the total amount.

well, yes sort of. A PAE compatible OS and CPU can allow a 32 bit OS and CPU to use up to 64gb. Windows XP is just limited at 4gb because thats how MS make thier money. A PAE enabled 32 bit copy of 2003 Enterprise can handle 32gb.

Secondly jd, this is irrelevant because we are not talking about a server edition of Windows (with 100% PAE-aware kernel mode drivers) which are currently the only PAE compatiable OSs from MS.

32bit Vista, like 32bit XP and later, doesn't really support PAE. You can turn PAE on, but you won’t then actually be able to address any more memory. The only reason to turn PAE on is if you want to activate the no-execute (NX) or execute-disable (XD) features of modern CPUs. That's all PAE does on these operating systems. The reason why PAE doesn't expand the memory map on these OSs is because for PAE to work, all of its kernel mode drivers need to be PAE-aware (as they are in server editions). If any of them aren't, the computer will hang. MS gave up on having enough PAE-aware drivers in 2004. As such, they also abandoned 32bit PAE mode for Windows. Consequently, PAE gives you exactly the same 4GB maximum as non-PAE mode.

32bit can only go to 3.5gb not 4gb, doesn’t include the graphics cards at the 2 cards has its own 512mb the memory in the hard drive is virtual memory it is store on the hard drive but does not get used unless the main memory is full

And thridly, this is just completely wrong (i.e. every point in the sentence).

In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. Why? A 32bit OS can only address 2^32bit = 4294967296 or 4GB TOTAL. If you install a total of 4GB worth of RAM, the system will detect/use/display less than 4GB of total memory (SP1 will show all, but you cannot use it all) because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- Configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

If you don't believe me, may be you will believe MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

"Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system."

So as I said originally:

...So, given the fact that you have 2 x 512mb of memory on your GPUs, that takes 1gb of memory address space. That leaves 3GB. The other 512mb (i.e. to make 2.5gb available) may be being used in hard drive memory and sound integrated memory. SP1 has changed Vista to show all of the installed memory but that doesn’t mean that it is available. It sounds to me that you only have 2.5GB available to be addressed to due to the 32bit OS limitations and because you have taken up addressable memory with other hardware. It sounds about right to me. You could also check that your onboard graphics is disabled and therefore not taking any addressable memory.

If you wish to take full advantage of your installed system memory, the only way is to install a 64bit operating system, and since XP 64bit sucks, you are looking at Vista Ultimate. Just make sure your laptop has all the required supporting 64bit drivers.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
That statement is the most crucial part when deciding on a 64bit OS. The 64bit of XP as well as the first 64bit distro saw virtually no driver support.

A rush even into a 64bit edition of Vista Ultimate or Home Premium is still premature since too much is still 32bit orientated even though Vista is seeing more drivers available. I'm not knocking it but simply pointing out that the eventual transition to strictly 64bit is still going to be some time to come.

MS plans to dump 32bit following Windows 7? For now that's only an unconfirmed article someone published with no official MS statement to date. This is simply to clarify the reference made earlier on that.

Even with all that Vista alone even for the 32bit edititions still seems to lack on hardware/software support. The software disk plus updates at Asus are still XP orientated for the board here. I simply got board driver through the MS update site.

Vista compatible tv tuner card? HAR! I'm currently in the face of tech support at one company since you can't watch any incoming signal whlie still hearing sound in Vista while everything works fine in XP! Vista ready? That's a joke! You certainly wouldn't want to go with XP Pro64 that saw virtually no support.

jdbennet

yeah they plan to dump 32 bit after windows 7

theyve said openly that the next windows server (2012?) will be 64 bit only, and windows the next windows NT desktop OS is historically based on the most recent stable server OS.

Jerrick

I wont go to Vista until Miroslav Philharmonix and Cubase sx3 work on it. Which sucks cause I love Vista, but I cant do any recoridng on it.

PC eye

banned
Don't feel bad! the tuner card that worked while for a year on Vista here quit without warning not seeing any picture in both XP and Vista.

The card in now was a quick grab of a different brand with the Vista compatible labeling? The replies from the tech support there try these links? I had already gone over all of their links when seeing that! :rolleyes:

What is seen now however in SP1 is the needed correction in order for the 32bit editions to fully see and list the total amount of memory installed. If Vista had been out 3yrs. following XP then Windows 7 would now be seeing a need for an SP1 if the design failed to include the hardwares changes seen in the last few years alone.

Okedokey

You will always be able to emulate. Jerrick, use Virtual PC from MS (free download) and then you can install Vista/XP 32bit within a sandbox in Vista 64 and use your old apps. However I updated my machine to 64bit Vista, and I didn't have one application or driver issue. Not one.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Apparently you are running some cross platform programs there. If you run into any written for XP alone you will likely find the installer won't even finish let alone running the app or game unless you see a patch or an updated version released.

Okedokey

Not in Virtual PC as it is sandboxed. The local OS has nothing to do with it. You run 64bit Vista and then install 32bit XP in Virtual PC and then run whatever apps you want.

houseofbugs

Your issue is either one of two things.

1. Your motherboard has a limitation.
2. Your OS is only seeing that much because of 32Bit.

~Tim

Okedokey

this is true, but games that require the kind of hardware acceleration missing from virtual pc, will run in 64bit.