BIOS UPdate

jdbennet

it must be an MS limitation because server 2008s codebase is 95% based on vista SP1 and it supports a whole lot more

tyttebøvs

Previously, you said it was "ALL 32bit OSes", and you said "How is this MS".

Now you are down to only Vista? Because, yes, that is true. You cannot get Vista to go above 4G, because Microsoft chose not to support any address space above this point, because of the driver issue we have talked so much about.

tyttebøvs

Ok, how do you get XP 32bit to address more than 4gb?

Before SP2, you enabled PAE.

And note that I am not saying more than 4GB RAM, but more than 4GB address space. To address 4GB RAM + MMIO you need more than 4GB of address space, and then PAE is required.

jdbennet

windows 2000 Advanced Server can - it supports up to 8gb using /PAE on its 32 bit edition - and xp is based off the win2k codebase. That proves that the 4gb limit is enforced by microsoft to make money and stop people using desktop editions as servers. I mean, it was released like 5+ years before vista.

Okedokey

MS holds the lions share of the market, and it doesn't control the hardware. You factor in those commercial realities and you then should understand how that is different to a few amature OSs such as linux etc, where they can ensure the drivers are readily available. The point of this thread is that with XP or later, MS has dropped PAE, because it cannot ensure that PAE aware drivers will be avaialble, this is a commercial decision yes, but it is reality none-the less. You need a 64bit OS to address more than 4gb of ram under Windows period. that is the point of this thread, and as i said, if you want to discuss the merits of this further i suggest you start your own thread.

tyttebøvs

It might be the point in this thread. But the discussion went on and on because you kept insisting that it was the "32" in 32bit OS that was the culprit, and Microsoft didn't have any say in what was possible.

"few amature OSs such as linux" Well...

Okedokey

I am sticking to the point. All I have ever done in this thread is replaying to what you've said.

The post has been answered, long ago, if you want to start a discussion regarding the benefits or otherwise of MS's decision to drop PAE drivers over 4 years ago, please be my guest, otherwise unless you have an alternative way to address more than 4gb in Vista 32bit, shut up, because you are just trolling now, especially when you say this elsewhere:

There are many rumours about pae ... Many of them are not true. This is one of them. Only server editions of windows supports >4GB

They go to great lengths to document how anything above 4G is just being ignored, though. And I have yet to see anyone being able to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137
"the kernel memory manager ignores any physical address that is more than 4 GB"

To make use of 4GB RAM you need an address space that is bigger than 4GB, because the same address space needs to hold various IO devices.

here: http://www.computerforum.com/121393-how-tomake-vista-32-bit-see-4gb-4.html and here: http://www.computerforum.com/120025-2gig-4-a-2.html

Last edited:

tyttebøvs

Holy crap, now you are telling me to shut up? I replied to your false statements about 32bit operating systems and 32bit CPUs.

Sometimes I don't know why I bother coming by here.

jdbennet

bigfella seemingly every time someone proves you wrong, you go down the whole "irrelevent path" even when it is indeed relevent.

and tyttebovs, if you dont like it, leave.

i wish people woiuld just stop bitching.

Okedokey

It is irrelevent, as the scope of the OP's question was to do with Windows 32bit, which can, (under current limitations) only address 4GB of memory period. Discussions about the merits of other OS's , MS's decision to drop PAE drivers or anything else is irrelevent.

If you or anyone else wishes to start another thread, we can discuss it, but the question was answered 3 days and 44 posts ago. Comon.

Last edited:

jdbennet

the whole point is though, that PAE extends the 4gb limit, hence the discussion

I agree thoigh, that this thread has gone on for too long. Lets lay it to rest.

Okedokey

Yes, I have never said it wouldn't though, but if you have 32bit XP or later, you cannot address more than 4GB, thus the reason the OP's os displayed 2.5GB , as PAE is not available in this OS as it stands. A 32bit CPU without PAE and its drivers, cannot address more than 4GB or memory, period. As we are talking about an OS that doesn't support PAE, we may as well be talking about the weather (irrelevant).

Last edited:

tyttebøvs

bigfellla said:
They go to great lengths to document how anything above 4G is just being ignored, though. And I have yet to see anyone being able to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888137
"the kernel memory manager ignores any physical address that is more than 4 GB"

Are you trying NOT to read what I write? I specifically wrote before SP2.

And now, after xxx number of posts, your focus is ONLY on Vista and XP after SP2. Before that, you said something else. You said something about ALL 32bit OSes, and something about 32bit CPUs. About Microsoft did no such thing as limiting their kernel to only allow 4GB of total address space.

But it seems that discussing this with you leads to nowhere (telling me to shut up?). So this is my exit.