Blowing Some Dough$

Laquer Head

Alrighty... looking for some opinions here...Got $1000 CAD to needlessly spend.

Gimmie some combo ideas for an upgrade....I only need/want the following, as this is an upgrade not a complete new build, although some would argue these core components are a new build. Obviously from Canada website and in CAD$

• Motherboard
  • CPU
  • RAM
and..GO!

Laquer Head

Another 1080 to fill the empty hole in your case.

I'm good with the one honestly.. its my 4th gen cpu that is letting me down now.. I sold off my 6850K that I got on deal round xmas so I'm at square one again.

plus my current mobo only has gen2 m.2 and I have a 960pro nvme awaiting install on a more modern board.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Well it's more the fact that kabylake doesn't offer significant difference to what it replaced. Cannonlake is suppose to be the next big thing.

Laquer Head

Well it's more the fact that kabylake doesn't offer significant difference to what it replaced. Cannonlake is suppose to be the next big thing.
I am running an i5 4690K though.. not exactly last gen at this stage of the game.. kinda old AF now LOL

Laquer Head

Whatever happened to you spending my money without asking questions... WHERE IS THAT INTELMAN.. ?? I DONT EVEN KNOW WHO YOU ARE ANYMORE

Laquer Head

Wouldn´t the I5 bottleneck 2 1080s in some games? There is actually a video about it:

I guarantee it would.. thats def. why I need upgrade.. its already an issue with some games...and I know its not the 1080.. so its gotta be CPU

Deadpool

I guarantee it would.. thats def. why I need upgrade.. its already an issue with some games...and I know its not the 1080.. so its gotta be CPU

You could get a 4790K, but I don´t think you´d be able to afford another 1080. Not sure about Canadian prices.

I don´t know if you saw the video but swapping the 4690k for the 4790k made a 25FPS difference (76 to 99 I think), and the core usage never went above 70%, and in the 4690k it was almost always at 90%+ and even hit 100% once. You could get a 4790k, sell the 1080 and get a 1080 ti. You already have 16Gb RAM and some decent SSDs.

Darren

Staff member
4690K -> 4790K is foolish. If I were you I'd either wait for Ryzen platform to mature slightly and go that route if you like it or wait for Intel's next offering.

beers

Staff member
Any interest in buying a used 4770k? :p

Being worth the cost I'd suggest Cannonlake or similar as well unless you'd be content with seeing how Skylake-X pans out.

Laquer Head

Newegg wants $480 CAD for a 4790K (not that I even would do that) but thats laughable for a 3 year old cpu.

I guess you guys are probably right, guess I ought to wait.,.

Darren

Staff member
Newegg wants $480 CAD for a 4790K (not that I even would do that) but thats laughable for a 3 year old cpu.

I guess you guys are probably right, guess I ought to wait.,.
Ryzen will at the very least drive down Intel prices for you. :)