WIndows 10 Booting windows 10 issue and random black screen

Jeff87

Recently put together a computer for a friend's son, installed windows 10 but it will get random black screens and just stays black. Also the computer seems like it will only boot windows if you leave the USB install stick into the computer, you take it out computer will turn on show motherboard brand and then just go black screen, I am at a loss and don't know what could be the issue.

Please help :)

DavidG

Your question is a bit short on detail. Which USB stick and how was it created? It this a fresh install of windows or an existing install?
The fact that you can only boot with the USB inserted points to incorrect BIOS boot setting or faulty installation. I would tend to start over.
Reset the BIOS to defaults using the CLR CMOS jumper on the motherboard or remove the CMOS battery for 10mins.
On a working computer go to the windows media creation tool website (link below), download the tool, run it and make a bootable USB windows 10 installer, you will need a blank 8GB USB
Windows 10 media creation tool website
Boot off the USB wipe any existing partition on the HDD/SSD and do a clean install. If problems persist then I would look at troubleshooting faulty RAM and hard drive/SSD, update your post with more details. Including motherboard make and model and CPU, GPU and PSU

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As said in previous post, a lot of information is missing.

I would say its a corrupt install somehow. Is there more then one hard drive in the system? If so, then disconnect all other drives except for the boot drive and then try reinstalling windows again. Its possible the boot files were placed on one of the other drives and they are corrupt or something is up with that drive.

Jeff87

As said in previous post, a lot of information is missing.

I would say its a corrupt install somehow. Is there more then one hard drive in the system? If so, then disconnect all other drives except for the boot drive and then try reinstalling windows again. Its possible the boot files were placed on one of the other drives and they are corrupt or something is up with that drive.
Apologies. The USB stick I was talking about is the one you buy to install the windows OS, the computer only has 1 HD, its a M2 SSD drive (I have only delt with normal ssd like the Samsung EVO)
The graphics card being used if that is the issue on the random screen black outs is a Nvidia geforce gtx 1050 Ti 4gb

DavidG

Still not enough details, make and model of motherboard and CPU and PSU. if needed download Speccy run and post the results
I would be tempted to create a fresh USB installer as outlined in my first post and follow the suggested steps. If the motherboard and CPU (details of which you omitted) support an on-board GPU I would strip back to a bare-bones build without the external GPU, one stick of RAM and start over. We can troubleshoot a bare-bones system more easily than the complete build. Once you have the bare-bones system working satisfactorally you can rebuild to the full specs.

Last edited:

Jeff87

Your question is a bit short on detail. Which USB stick and how was it created? It this a fresh install of windows or an existing install?
The fact that you can only boot with the USB inserted points to incorrect BIOS boot setting or faulty installation. I would tend to start over.
Reset the BIOS to defaults using the CLR CMOS jumper on the motherboard or remove the CMOS battery for 10mins.
On a working computer go to the windows media creation tool website (link below), download the tool, run it and make a bootable USB
Windows 10 media creation tool website
Boot off the USB wipe any existing partition on the HDD/SSD and do a clean install. If problems persist then I would look at troubleshooting faulty RAM and hard drive/SSD, update your post with more details. Including motherboard make and model and CPU, GPU and PSU
Apologies. The USB stick I was talking about is the one you buy to install the windows OS, the computer only has 1 HD, its a M2 SSD drive (I have only delt with normal ssd like the Samsung EVO)
The graphics card being used if that is the issue on the random screen black outs is a Nvidia geforce gtx 1050 Ti 4gb
Still not enough details, make and model of motherboard and CPU and PSU. if needed download Speccy run and post the results
I would be tempted to create a fresh USB installer as outlined in my first post and follow the suggested steps. If the motherboard and CPU (details of which you omitted) support an on-board GPU I would strip back to a bare-bones build without the external GPU, one stick of RAM and start over. We can troubleshoot a bare-bones system more easily than the complete build. Once you have the bare-bones system working satisfactorally you can rebuild to the full specs.
I never knew you could run a computer without thr GPU, I will have him try that since I am at heading into work for the day and wouldn't see him till later. Also the MB is a "Aorus X570 Elite Wifi X570"
The CPU is a AMD Ryzen
The PSU is a Thermaltake smart 600w

I will try the fresh USB install only USB I have with windows is the one I bought from best buy when I built my own computer 2 years ago. So if I can continue using that and start from scratch we will do that.. I am driving so sorry if I missed information you asked about

DavidG

I never knew you could run a computer without thr GPU, I will have him try that since I am at heading into work for the day and wouldn't see him till later. Also the MB is a "Aorus X570 Elite Wifi X570"
The CPU is a AMD Ryzen
It depends on the CPU - some Ryzen CPUs can support onboard graphics some don't, those with the suffix "G" have integrated graphics. The PSU should be fine - it is good quality. I assume all the parts are new? or are some secondhand? again we need details of the exact CPU to be sure. The USB you used 2years ago will be out of date, it shouldn't be a problem but it would be better to use an up-to-date installer. Post back when you aren't driving :)

Jeff87

It depends on the CPU - some Ryzen CPUs can support onboard graphics some don't, those with the suffix "G" have integrated graphics. The PSU should be fine - it is good quality. I assume all the parts are new? or are some secondhand? again we need details of the exact CPU to be sure. The USB you used 2years ago will be out of date, it shouldn't be a problem but it would be better to use an up-to-date installer. Post back when you aren't driving :)
At work, the CPU is a Ryzen 5 3600, all parts are new unless the shipper sent out older parts bought it all off Amazon. I had windows boot up yesterday but when I went and tried updating the drivers for his graphics card screen just went black so when I restarted the computer I took out that USB stick and it wouldn't boot up into windows thats what I am mainly at a loss off the black screen I feel is just a simple driver update fix

DavidG

The Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have an integrated GPU.
Make sure the computer is set to boot off the SSD, this will be in the BIOS settings. If it definitely won't boot off the SSD then the windows installation is at fault somehow. In that case you would normally have to do a startup repair.
If SSD is the correct 1st boot option in the BIOS and it still won't boot normally then you need to go to advanced boot options.

1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.
  2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times. Eventually you will get to advanced boot options
  4. Click troubleshoot, startup repair

Jeff87

The Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have an integrated GPU.
Make sure the computer is set to boot off the SSD, this will be in the BIOS settings. If it definitely won't boot off the SSD then the windows installation is at fault somehow. In that case you would normally have to do a startup repair.
If SSD is the correct 1st boot option in the BIOS and it still won't boot normally then you need to go to advanced boot options.

1. Press and hold the power button on your PC until it powers off.
  2. Press the power button on your PC to turn it on.
  3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 above until you see the Windows logo screen or Please wait. Usually it may take repeating up to 3 times. Eventually you will get to advanced boot options
  4. Click troubleshoot, startup repair
Probably a dumb question but would you happen to know the name of what the SSD would be on bios ? I tried taking the USB out so I could try and see which one got eliminated and it didn't work as planned lol. Is 3 options on bios for boot drivers and 2 mention windows 10, I have never had these issues usually I just build the computer and install windows with no problem this is the first this has done this

Jeff87

Probably a dumb question but would you happen to know the name of what the SSD would be on bios ? I tried taking the USB out so I could try and see which one got eliminated and it didn't work as planned lol. Is 3 options on bios for boot drivers and 2 mention windows 10, I have never had these issues usually I just build the computer and install windows with no problem this is the first this has done this
So talked with my friend today and the computer seems like it is working fine, took out the USB stick and it's all booting up.. technology for you lol.. it didn't wanna work when I was sitting there for 1.5 hours lastnight

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe an issue with the USB? Once windows is installed, the USB should be removed as it may want to boot to it again. Even with bios setting set to boot to hdd. Are you using a regular M.2 or nvme drive? The regular M.2 isn't any faster than a sata ssd.

Jeff87

glad it has been sorted :)
Well he said lastnight it worked fine l, just turned it on today and it boots back up onto a black screen. Thinking thr computer is trying to load windows from something other than the ssd drive and the USB Windows stick isn't in anymore

Jeff87

Maybe an issue with the USB? Once windows is installed, the USB should be removed as it may want to boot to it again. Even with bios setting set to boot to hdd. Are you using a regular M.2 or nvme drive? The regular M.2 isn't any faster than a sata ssd.
Yeah I thought so, I took it out when It booted onto desktop lastnight, I went online and tried to download a driver the screen went black and when I restarted the computer the computer wouldn't boot windows again it would just show the brand of MB and then go right onto a black screen. I attached a photo of the black screen. I'm not sure about the nvme drive I wanna say it's a regular m.2

Attachments

• 6335383351.jpg
    6335383351.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 2

Jeff87

Yeah I thought so, I took it out when It booted onto desktop lastnight, I went online and tried to download a driver the screen went black and when I restarted the computer the computer wouldn't boot windows again it would just show the brand of MB and then go right onto a black screen. I attached a photo of the black screen. I'm not sure about the nvme drive I wanna say it's a regular m.2
My friend was able to go on lastnihht and install drivers for the graphics card and after he turned it off because it was getting late. And today turns it on and sees its back doing what it was lastnight

Jeff87

It's a NVMe drive

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-102320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210128-102320_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    594.6 KB · Views: 2

Jeff87

Haha friend left the pc alone for a few minutes went back up hit the windows key + P and down a few times and the computer booted up windows and is going good so far

Attachments

• 6335406981.jpg
    6335406981.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 6335405561.jpg
    6335405561.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I can see the pc is running an older version of windows and only wanting to update to 1909. 2004 and 20h2 are the latest ones. If it continues to have problems. use a new flash drive and use the media creation tool to download the latest version of 10 and install that way. I'm still not ruling out a bad/corrupt windows install or possibly a bad video card.

Jeff87

I can see the pc is running an older version of windows and only wanting to update to 1909. 2004 and 20h2 are the latest ones. If it continues to have problems. use a new flash drive and use the media creation tool to download the latest version of 10 and install that way. I'm still not ruling out a bad/corrupt windows install or possibly a bad video card.
Well it has ran window updates and everything and running fine now so idk what is going on lol he can download it now that the computer is up and running and install the update right ?