Bootup Virus Preventing Startup on Dell Dimension 2200

Gamer1

New Member
Hey everyone, I have an old Dell Dimension 2200. It recently got a ton of malware and trojan viruses on it including bootup viruses that dont allow it to boot to desktop or allow me to install a new os. I do not have a windows recover disk and I really need to know how to get the computer working again. Thanks everyone!
 
I have tried all 3 safe modes but none will work, and if i try and boot up to the desktop it willl log off mid-bootup
 
Can you put your hard drive in another system that has a fully updated antivirus program that you can use to scan your drive? I've had very good luck using this procedure to clean clients computers when they are overly infected that won't allow antivirus or malware programs to run.
 
in this issue i had once. i attached it to another computer internally since i didn't have a external case at the time. ran anti virus etc on it then saved my stuff off it then wiped it and did a clean install then downloaded all my stuff from the other computer.

no issues since.

so if you can. hook it internal to another pc.
or hook it into a case for external, run all the anti- programs on it
if that don't clear the issue.
save your stuff and format, and clean install
then download your stuff from other machine...

i know the formatting isn't the one thing you don't wan't to do but sometimes it can't be helped especially on a infected hdd...

ttyl.
sc
 
Hey you guys thanks for your input, allthough this is the only desktop I have the rest are laptops, so I cannot put it into another computer and I do not have a case to put it in that I could hook it up to the computer.
 
Uhmm,Yea youre gonna have to reformat,only way with what you have to work with.
Well unless you have another hardrive laying around,install windows,remove your infected one,put in the new one,Put in the infected one,Run anti virus,then take out your un infected one and there you go,But with all that work may as well reformat.
 
Last edited:
The computer has a virus in the bios which is what is preventing me from loading a new os. So how do I put a new bios onto the computer without it being able to bootup?
 
yikes,Umm how can you have a virus in your bios?Thats your motherboard settings,how can you have a virus,if your hardrive is not being used at this time?
 
I disconnect the hd completely from the computer, go to the bios settings, set it to only boot from the cd so that I can load a new os on it, but it still says there is an error. There is no reason it shouldnt work unless the bios is infected.
 
I disconnect the hd completely from the computer, go to the bios settings, set it to only boot from the cd so that I can load a new os on it, but it still says there is an error. There is no reason it shouldnt work unless the bios is infected.

And what error is that? What does it say specifically?
 
That doesn't mean there is a bios virus. It means it can't find anything bootable. You might have a loose cable going to the cdrom drive if you have it set to first boot device. What drives does the bios recognize? cdroms? hard drive?
 
Well, I can almost gaurantee you that its not a bios virus. If it is i'll be shocked. You most likely will have to take it in to a computer shop and have them look at it. You can try to see if they have a new bios update for your computer, that may fix the issue. Double check your boot order though. Are you sure that the cd you have is bootable?
 
Does that computer have a floppy drive? If so, disconnect it and disable floppy boot. Sometimes, thats the cause of this error.
 
Back
Top