Bootup Virus Preventing Startup on Dell Dimension 2200

Gamer1

I disconnected the floppy drive and both of the hd's but still the computer will not boot off the disk.

ArcherA2

Gamer1, you might try going into the BIOS setup, and set your CD/DVD drive as the first device in the boot sequence. Then find your AV or other recovery CD in your possession. If you have an option to run an AV from the CD; do that.

If you really do have a boot virus hiding in the BIOS chip, or perhaps CMOS, then you might try removing the battery from the Motherboard. That will cut off the last vestige of voltage that supports any software which has not been previously burned into those chips. If you had previously updated your BIOS (Flashed it) with BIOS update software, you will have to Flash it again later.

It might be that you have a boot sector virus that tucked itself into the Hard Drive's boot sector along with the Master Boot record (MBR). If that is the case, there is a command on the Recovery Console feature of your recovery CD called FIXMBR and also one called FIXBOOT. Check www.microsoft.com for the full details on those. Shame you don't have a recovery or original install CD.

Lastly, if you have a win98 boot floppy, you could boot into the command prompt and execute some DOS commands. Might help you to poke around your hard drive. That's all I got. Hope it helps.

ArcherA2

Gamer1, I went back and read all of your earlier posts, I believe you are correct in your assessment. It does appear to be a problem with the BIOS; either a Virus or a bad BIOS chip, or bad Motherboard. But, since you were recently attacked by Malware; it is more likely to be a Virus.

Recommended Procedure .....
1 - Pull the Motherboard battery, and leave it out several hours, or a full day, since there may be capacitors onboard that hold a charge for a while.

2 - After Re-inserting the original battery (or a new one). Connect all devices, but swap the Hard Drive to connection port 1 instead of it's present port 0 connection. I have seen Motherboards go bad at the connector.

3 - Make sure all ribbon wire connections are correct with the red line side at pin #1 of all connections; and firmly connected. No loose wires.

4 - Also, you may choose to only enable the boot Hard Drive in the Bios setup, and disable (or disconnect) the CD, Floppy, and any additional drives or devices.
.... That's all I got for now. Hope it helps.