break password hdd for latop acer

darksoulfire008

oneday i turn on my laptop, i look my laptop need password hdd which can access,i don't know who install password in my laptop.

hdd is model western, who can help me break password by hiren's boot ?

thank a lot

cohen

could be a virus......

what does it pop up with??? can you pls post a screen pic, thanks

spikebuck77

If you are talking about the password when you are booting up, that is actually a BIOS password. Just remove the CMOS battery for about 30 minutes and then put it back in and restart.

Geoff

VIP Member
So you turn on your laptop and there's a field where you need to enter a password after a few seconds? If so, the password is set in the BIOS, not the hard drive.

I agree with tlarkin, sounds like this isn't your laptop.

Tuffie

Sounds like your a little stealah? :p

Methods of getting around it of course, if it's just windows, but I don't think any of us can help if you stole it.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If it is a boot password it is controlled by the BIOS, not the hard disk, you need to read up on how a boot strap works.

tyttebøvs

You can also put a password on the harddrive itself, which you need to enter before being able to use it. If it is this type of password, you cannot get rid of it by removing a battery or formatting the drive.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You can also put a password on the harddrive itself, which you need to enter before being able to use it. If it is this type of password, you cannot get rid of it by removing a battery or formatting the drive.

The only way I know that is possible is by loading a boot loader like GRUB, and requiring it to have a password. Since the boot strap goes Power > POST > BIOS > then boot sector, you would have to have some sort of password protected boot loader.

However, if the OP installed a boot loader you would think they would have known they installed a boot loader.

tyttebøvs

It is a part of the ATA specification. If the password has been set, you cannot issue any commands to it before sending the correct password.

tlarkin

VIP Member
It is a part of the ATA specification. If the password has been set, you cannot issue any commands to it before sending the correct password.

You got any documentation? All I know of and see are third party utilities that do this, and they all seem to act like boot loaders. I could be wrong but I can't find anywhere that says that you can go into like the firmware of a drive and set a password for it.

tyttebøvs

Just lookup the specification for ATA :)

It is also indicated by posts on various forums when this subject comes up. "Normal" people cannot break this type of password protected drives.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just lookup the specification for ATA :)

It is also indicated by posts on various forums when this subject comes up. "Normal" people cannot break this type of password protected drives.

I did, and it didn't explain how it exactly works. When I was managing tons and tons of windows clients you would lock it down in those two modes through the BIOS.

dznutz

just because the vietnamese communists stole land and private property in the south..... which forced 4 million people to get away by boat (of which only half survived the pirates and looters) doesn't mean he stole the laptop :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
just because the vietnamese communists stole land and private property in the south..... which forced 4 million people to get away by boat (of which only half survived the pirates and looters) doesn't mean he stole the laptop :)

Yeah, and no user accidentally puts a firmware level password on their ATA device, unless they are paranoid of the data getting stolen, just like no user will encrypt a file system, unless they are worried about getting their data stolen.

Plus, Vietnam isn't that bad these days anyway, I have 3 friends that live there right now.