Brutally Honest Critiques

Okedokey

Oke, we are not saying this photo was not taken with your Nokia 930. We are saying this photo was not a ~1 second hand held shot, which you claimed it was.

I never said that it was taken in a second. I said that it was taken with my phone with the settings recommended for doing so. Just because I don't know what EXIF is, or any of the other stuff, doesn't mean anything. The night setting alone opens the shutter speed to 8 seconds. Thats even without further adjustment.

You act as if Australia is the best of the best for astrophotography. There are many places in the world where one can find a clear sky, just look at where the major telescopes are.

ISO and shutter speed are all that matter here, white balance and focus don't make a difference in capturing that shot with that much light.

As for taking multiple photos and combining them, I believe you are referring to HDR mode, which takes 3 or more shots (exposed, under exposed, and over exposed), and combines them. This is not the same as image stacking which is used in astrophotography. HDR mode will not help here, and will actually make the photo much worse due to the even longer exposure needed to overexpose this photo.

The phone does image staking, and in regards to Australia and astroimaging, its is easily one of the best places in the world due to its location on the globe, the lack of pollution (light and atmospheric). Many locations are recognised by the dark sky location. Im not saying its the best, but you only have to look at a satellite photography at night to see what I mean.

earthlights2_dmsp_big.jpg

Last edited:

C4C

I was in Alaska 4 days ago, and the stars still didn't look as good on my Nikon D3100 that I used my tripod with. 30 second exposure and it wasn't even near what you accomplished using your "Nokia 930 handheld".

Punk

Staff member
I was in Alaska 4 days ago, and the stars still didn't look as good on my Nikon D3100 that I used my tripod with. 30 second exposure and it wasn't even near what you accomplished using your "Nokia 930 handheld".
That's because you didn't do any image stacking.
I never said that it was taken in a second. I said that it was taken with my phone with the settings recommended for doing so. Just because I don't know what EXIF is, or any of the other stuff, doesn't mean anything. The night setting alone opens the shutter speed to 8 seconds. Thats even without further adjustment.

The phone does image staking, and in regards to Australia and astroimaging, its is easily one of the best places in the world due to its location on the globe, the lack of pollution (light and atmospheric). Many locations are recognised by the dark sky location. Im not saying its the best, but you only have to look at a satellite photography at night to see what I mean.

earthlights2_dmsp_big.jpg

We finally have got the information we need! And please, you probably don't know what EXIF is but a quick google search would get your answers. It is the info attached to the JPEG that gives us the info on how you shot the picture like shutter speed, aperture etc.

If you have taken your picture at around 8 seconds, that's possible, but was it really handheld?

Australia does have some nice spot for astrophotography and yes, it has less light pollution, but please, alpine stars (because they are seen from the Alpes), seen at around 2500 to 3000m? :)

Okedokey

It was hand held as I have already said, I had to look up the settings as I didn't know what it was, and as per everything else you have claimed I have proven as simply baseless accusations. If I hold it sitting down, similar to a sitting U sniper position (which I was trained in btw), you see how still you can get. Secondly, alpine doesn't have a altitude definition so don't talk nonsense. Mount Kosiosco is around 2300 m and that is where I was. Also given that air pollution is directly proportional to pressure change with altitude, and given that the pollution point sources are far far lower than in almost anywhere else in the world bar Antarctica, I can assure you, Australia's peaks are probably much better than anything in mainland Europe.

483910main1_Global-PM2.5-map-670.jpg

Punk

Staff member
It was hand held as I have already said, I had to look up the settings as I didn't know what it was, and as per everything else you have claimed I have proven as simply baseless accusations. If I hold it sitting down, similar to a sitting U sniper position (which I was trained in btw), you see how still you can get. Secondly, alpine doesn't have a altitude definition so don't talk nonsense. Mount Kosiosco is around 2300 m and that is where I was. Also given that air pollution is directly proportional to pressure change with altitude, and given that the pollution point sources are far far lower than in almost anywhere else in the world bar Antarctica, I can assure you, Australia's peaks are probably much better than anything in mainland Europe.

483910main1_Global-PM2.5-map-670.jpg

Thing is, you only gave us a few info that when looking at your picture were pointing to a fake. If you had told us you were stacking your photos with shutter speed of about 8 seconds (because your night option gives you that) and you were holding it in a sniping mode, which is not like holding the phone while standing up we wouldn't have made those accusation. I made mine as soon as you called us immature instead of giving us all the info we asked you.

As far as stars goes, I'm not here for a pissing contest, you have beautiful stars in Aus, that's for sure and I know that, we also have beautiful stars in the Alpes. Let's keep it that way since we have different opinon/knowledge on the subject.

Moving on?

Okedokey

Thing is, you only gave us a few info that when looking at your picture were pointing to a fake. If you had told us you were stacking your photos with shutter speed of about 8 seconds (because your night option gives you that) and you were holding it in a sniping mode, which is not like holding the phone while standing up we wouldn't have made those accusation. I made mine as soon as you called us immature instead of giving us all the info we asked you.

As far as stars goes, I'm not here for a pissing contest, you have beautiful stars in Aus, that's for sure and I know that, we also have beautiful stars in the Alpes. Let's keep it that way since we have different opinon/knowledge on the subject.

Moving on?

Fine move on, but lets get one things straight, I didnt KNOW the settings when asked, i simply put a picture. From the first point on, everyone claimed it was BS. Let me get another thing straight, I couldnt give a flying rats-claker what you think.

Punk

Staff member
Fine move on, but lets get one things straight, I didnt KNOW the settings when asked, i simply put a picture. From the first point on, everyone claimed it was BS. Let me get another thing straight, I couldnt give a flying rats-claker what you think.

:good:

Trying to move on, if you guys don't mind, I'd like to post another photo:

111140172.jpg

Punk

Staff member
I envision this thread working as a first come first serve basis. So if I posted up a photo, that photo would have to have some critique before the next photo can be posted. Please try to make the critique worth while and not a quick word or two. Also feel free to post up a edited or re-edited version of the photo your reviewing to show the user how you envision their shot.

Hope that makes sense.

But since I already posted not long ago, I'll let you post yours unstead.

Was this taken with a wide angle? Everything looks bent towards the center (trees on the left, house on the right)

Other than that I lack in finding something that catches my curiosity although it looks like it is a beautiful scenery.

Also maybe it's because of photobucket but the quality of the picture doesn't look very good...

Punk

Staff member
Just the 930. Automatic. The resolution is 20MP on the original.

I guess it's a wide angle (under 50mm of focal length). 20MP doesn't mean a thing on small CCDs of phones, they are rather too much than helpful but yeah I get what you mean, supposed to look better, so that's photobucket killing the quality.

Geoff

VIP Member
The phone does image staking
Can you show me proof of that? Everything I found online when searching turned up zero results for image stacking. The only thing closely related to that is HDR which combines multiple photos for a high dynamic range shot.

You posted in the brutally honest critique thread, of course we are going to ask the settings used for shots and question things. If you didn't want this, you should have posted in the "Post your pictures" thread.

This is very good for a camera phone, but the image is very over sharpened, the colors look good though. Look in your camera settings and see if you can turn down the sharpening.

Okedokey

The sharpening happens with photobucket I think. It looks a lot softer on my monitor with the original.

spirit

Staff member
Photobucket isn't a great place to upload to. Messes with the image quality. Flickr is better and you get 1TB of storage for free. :)

Okedokey

Photobucket isn't a great place to upload to. Messes with the image quality. Flickr is better and you get 1TB of storage for free. :)

Thanks mate. I use it because 99% of the time it doesn't matter. But yeah, ill look into that. Ta