Building a computer

Creeper0426

Hi! im about to build a computer for the first time! I will probaly make alot of mistakes so I need some tips and advice! I was thinking for it to have at least 80 gb of hard drive memory and have 8 to 10 gb of ram. On this compuyer I will mainly be playing mc while hosting a server and recording. (In case that needs some minimal requirments) any tips or advice?

Creeper0426

Im in school, havent got that kind of dough. I can maybe get a few hundred together. You think its possible? I am in Brooklyn NY fyi

Laquer Head

Im in school, havent got that kind of dough. I can maybe get a few hundred together. You think its possible? I am in Brooklyn NY fyi

This is why he asked a budget, we can put together builds, but nobody wants to waste time building something only to be told its too much money.

Intel_man

VIP Member
As low as possible for these requirments.
Well... that really doesn't tell us anything.
Y u ask? XD
Contrary to popular belief, we're not trying to creep on you.

Prices of computer products differ quite a lot from country to country.

A couple of hundred bucks on a computer isn't going to do what you want. Honestly, look to save around a minimum $700 if you plan on streaming/recording while gaming.

beers

Staff member
Contrary to popular belief, we're not trying to creep on you.
247.gif

Creeper0426

So you think its just buy one? I really was hoping to get a computer out of this endeavor and work on something creative by building it. Hopes too high?

Creeper0426

$300 is what I have saved up from birthday. Im not old enough to work. I get sarcasm just real being earnest and want to get the info

mistersprinkles

Plexi-Glass rofl. Seriously bro use a real case. I don't think you understand how complex computer cases are. Building with plexi will be a nightmare and will end up being more expensive.

You're in the used parts market with a $300 budget my friend. Craigslist, buy sell trade posts like the one on this forum, etc. For 300 bucks you should be able to pick up some 4 to 10 year old parts and put something workable for minecraft together. Don't forget that you will also need an operating system and that alone is $100 for Windows 10. You might want to go with Linux or Steam OS to keep your costs down as these are both free operating systems. Or maybe you can get somebody to sell you a previously enjoyed retail license for windows 7 8 or 10.

Around here I could put together something like this for $300
Phenom II X4 or X6
8GB of RAM
250GB hard drive
GTX 750Ti
A case

As far as a DVD/CD drive, nobody uses those any more. They're obsolete. I haven't used mine since about 2011. If you really want one they are like $12-25 NEW and $5 used. That's for a burner too. Just super cheap these days. It literally costs more to buy 25 blank DVDs than it does to buy the drive that burns them.

A tip I can give you based on my own experience is this- the day after christmas is the day for guys like you. Families buy new computers for christmas and give them to their families on christmas day. The day after christmas if you walk through residential neighborhoods you can sometimes find five, even ten discarded computers on a long walk (getting your parents to drive is better. Cars have trunks. Computers can be heavy.). These discarded computers almost always work in my experience, and even if they don't they usually have some still-good parts in them. I have seen some computers discarded like this with CPUs like Q6600s (A CPU which would suit your needs) and graphics cards as good as 8XXX and 9XXX Geforce cards (2007/8). Granted, often these parts are dead, but you see what I'm getting at. You go for a 1 hour drive, pick up 20 discarded computers, odds are you can put together a nice little system for yourself cherry picking parts. Hell, you might even be able to rip a windows license off the sticker on the side of one of those PCs and be up and running for an investment of whatever the gas your parents burned was and that's it.

Having said all that, if I was in your shoes, I'd beg my parents to spot me another $200 (plus taxes and shipping) and I'd grab this

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/alienware-alpha/dkcwa05hbts