Building a Computer

I need some advice on what items to purchase with building a new computer. I already have a monitor, keyboard, and case (SILVERSTONE TJ08-B Black Aluminum front panel, SECC body MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case). Here is what is important: the computer will be used mostly for surfing and streaming, while occasionally using Microsoft Office. I would like to be able to hook up some wireless headphones to it. I would like to use a SSD hd. Willing to spend about $700. If needed, I can replace the case. I will only be able to connect to the internet through wireless.

Thanks

Freerunner,

You sound like you definitely know what you need, and that is the most important element of the process. The main thing I would tell you is that you should use Google and search, search, search.

After this, you should go to Google and search some more.

After Google contacts you and tells you to stop searching so much because you're backing up their system, I would suggest that you search even more.

When I went through this process several years ago, there were so many new sources of information as well as different formats and approaches being offered that I couldn't really keep up with this enormous flow of information.

Good luck with your search.

P.S. Did I mention that you should use the search function on Google? :)

Johnb.. thanks for the list. It looks like you picked out the items I need. If that is the case, it appears to me that there are 2 hd's (Samsung and WD). Am I reading it wrong?

A few other questions. I noticed there is a lot of negative talk about the AMD CPU's. Have they gotten any better since those discussions (I believe they are from 2016-2017). I noticed there isn't a video card recommended in this build. Just wondering why? And lastly, what would you recommend for a wireless card? If my total ends up being a little more than $700, that's fine.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Forgot to include video card. Wireless card would be around 30 bucks. I can post links later.

Cisco001

Here is an alternative
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($162.79 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($43.85 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($34.51 @ OutletPC)
Total: $645.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-04 08:13 EDT-0400

Cisco001

That is an APU with onboard GPU. GPU performance is similar to GT1030
CPU performance wise is slower than Reyzen 5 1600 John recommended. But 2400G should sufficient for your use.

SSD - 860 EVO is latest gen

PSU - you probably don't need 620W, but that is modular PSU and at good price.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you aren't going to be gaming then the onboard video through the cpu will work just fine.

OK, thanks John. Got it. But the cpu will be fine for streaming movies and shows on stuff like Amazon Prime or Netflix?

Cisco, I was going to order based on your recommendations, but when I clicked on the "PCPartPicker part list" link, there was a warning about potential issues. Should I be concerned?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Cisco, I was going to order based on your recommendations, but when I clicked on the "PCPartPicker part list" link, there was a warning about potential issues. Should I be concerned?
The only thing to be concerned about is the motherboard has the latest bios to support the new cpu. Thats one of the reasons why I picked the cpu I did because you wouldn't have to worry about it not working.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would need a video card if you went with what I picked as the 1600 doesn't have onboard video.

OK, I'm good with "overbuilding" the computer. And I'm also comfortable with more than I need. So what video card would you recommend and then can I still use the items that Cisco001 recommended?