Building a Computer

I disconnected the HDD, turned computer on and the following message is on the screen "Recovery,, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc000000e. You'll need to use recovery tools. Press Enter to try again. Press F8 for Startup Settings." Pressing Enter or F8 does nothing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Put the windows 10 install cd in the drive and boot to it and reinstall windows. You got that message because the boot files were placed on the SSD.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into bios and change boot order. Or you can possibly push f12 button at bootup and select boot device that way.

OK got it going but now it's telling me to Activate Windows. I tried putting in the product key but it wouldn't let me install. The other choice is to proceed without the key and it said it will automatically activate later. Should I proceed without the key?

OK, still issues. Said there was a compatibility issue. So now I'm back at the beginning. It's asking if I want to install Windows or Repair. Which one?

OK, starting over. Hit install windows, then don't have product key, now there are several choices of os to install (Windows 10 S, Windows 10 S N, Windows Home, etc). I chose Windows Home. Then I accept the license. Not is asks what type of installation; Upgrade or Custom. Last time I hit upgrade and that is where I had an issue. Should I choose custom or do you want me to hit upgrade and let you know what it says?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You want custom so that you can do a fresh install. Remember to delete the system reserved partition on the ssd.

I'm at the Windows update stage and it has 12 updates with the status of "Awaiting install". There is one that is "Downloading" but it is stuck at 0% and has been for the last 30 minutes. Also it's for a driver update that I'm not even sure I have. It says "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc., driver update for AMD Radeon HD 7500/7600 Series". Is there a way to bypass this download attempt?

OK I fixed it. I just restarted the computer even though it wasn't ready and the updates went ahead anyway. At this time the OS is up to date.

I'm not sure if I should start a new thread but this issue is still part of my reinstalling Win 10 on this new build. Everything was going fine until I did a few more Win updates and driver updates and now the sign on screen has duplicated my name and I am being asked for a password. The first picture is what comes up right away. The second picture is after I click on the arrow. Notice that there are now 2 choices with the same name. Other than trying to re-install Windows again, I do not know where to go next.

Attachments

• Start Up Screen.pdf
    404.5 KB · Views: 2

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What happens when you click on the other name? If one of the updates was the spring update then there are some issues with it. I won't be able to reply much today until later this evening. If you can access windows from the other name then just do a system restore to before the updates was installed and try again.

"Recovery,, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed. Error code 0xc000000e. You'll need to use recovery tools. Press Enter to try again. Press F8 for Startup Settings."

Above is the error message I got. I went ahead and tried a system recovery, but no luck. And what's more frustrating is that it didn't even give me a choice on how far back I wanted to recover. Plus after the recovery, I wanted to do it again, but the choice was not there. So now I'm doing a PC Reset.

OK, PC reset seems to have worked. I just wish I could reinstall updates one at a time. Anyway now I'l update drivers and Windows.

I may have found the culprit. As soon as I changed the name of the PC, and did a restart, the issue appeared. It asked me for a password sign in and also to choose which "Bob S" operating system. Not sure why this happened.

I fixed it!! Found a solution on Microsoft's site. 1) Turn automatic logon off. 2) Restart; sign in (you will have only one choice at this point). 3) Turn automatic logon on. 4) Restart and the desktop should appear.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Good. Doesn't sound like you changed the name of the computer, sounds like you created a new account.