Building a Gaming Computer

wolfeking

banned
I think that you will need a 6970 2GB, or maybe 3Gb 580 to max new games. The 6870 is a good card, but isn't going to max games.

dsgarcia

Here is a good build:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 955 ($125)
GPU: MSI AMD Radeon HD 6950 2Gb ($260)
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 ($90)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600Mhz 2x4Gb ($30)
PSU: Antec HCG 620W ATX12V ($75)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue SATA III 6Gbps 500Gb ($100)
ODD: Asus x24/x16 CD/DVD RW SATA ($19)
Case: HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Editors Choice ($40)
BONUS: Dirt 3 Redemption Code (FREE with GPU)

Grand Total: $839

Reasoning: I have the AMD Phenom II x4 955 and love it, I run all games on ultra including battlefield 3 at 60+ fps. The graphics card is the best bang for buck, and a decent brand. Motherboard fits all of your current needs, but if you want to add an additional graphics card down the line you will need to upgrade PSU and motherboard. The High Current Gamer series by Antec is top notch, I have the 900w model and it's everything and more! The Western Digital 500Gb HDD is decent, I have two in RAID 0 and they perform very well for the price. I also have the Asus optical drive and it hasn't missed a beat. The case is not my current case (I had it with my previous build) It has more then enough space and is a good nicely made cheap case. I really think the build above will meet all of your needs, I also play runescape and can tell you it runs like a champ on anything with DirectX 9 + 256Mb or more.

FuryRosewood

you would probably have to open your budget a little between cpu and gpu by about 100 bucks, and you might be able to slip in a i5, but that would push you to around a grand for your total.

FuryRosewood

i do not recommend raid if you are depending on the drives integrity, if one drops out...well your boned, if you do plan on raiding...do a mirror, SSD would be faster than a raid 0 anyhow. theres almost no point to doing a raid 0 unless you really hate waiting on the drives

onipar

Sounds like you have a good amount of builds to choose from.

For the monitor, if you're looking to save some money, you might want to keep your eye on this HP 20 inch monitor.

I got it less than a month ago for $75!!! (At Quill.com). The price seems to have gone up quite a bit, but it may drop again soon. Look slike you can still find it at sub $100 prices though. :good:

Perkomate

So you're going to go with the 2500K? It's a little more expensive, but is well worth the extra money.
Because the 2500K is a better performer, it effectively removes the CPU limitation, so you get higher frames per second. It lifts up the performance of the graphics card a little.

azeem40

Yes, i5-2500k is definitely my CPU, and I will choose from the builds presented and post back with what I chose, and then you guys can tell me if I made a good decision or not (won't buy till I say here which one I chose and you guys tell me if it is good).