Building AMD Computer

StrangleHold

Staff member
The Roadkill power supply is made by ATNG. It use to be called the Roadkill Performance 650. It could not push the rated wattage and amps. So they renamed it the (Green) 650 and lowered the spec. It should be ok if your not going to pull anymore then 450/475W from it.

2048Megabytes

The Roadkill power supply is made by ATNG. It use to be called the Roadkill Performance 650. It could not push the rated wattage and amps. So they renamed it the (Green) 650 and lowered the specifications. It should be okay if your not going to pull anymore then 450/475W from it.

Heh heh! That is funny. Rosewill = Roadkill

I will not ever chance a junk power supply. I was once working on a Compaq S4020WM Desktop Computer. Specifications of the Power supply were as follows:

Bestec Model: ATX-250-12Z 250 Watt

The power cord was plugged into my surge protector. I plugged the cord into the power supply and heard a very loud crackling sound. I pulled the cord out of the power supply and could smell the component was fried. I was grateful that I didn't end up electrocuted.

durkmusic

Ya I think I will go with that rosewill you recommended. Unelss of course someone is going to say "no that case is bad!" right after I order it lol

durkmusic

Will do. Thanks again.
Read this post from bottom to top :)

I am looking at graphics cards now. Here is what I am looking at (these videocards are the only ones that will work with my mac)

A Geforce 8600GTS, or MSI NX8600GTS Diamond Plus, or Geforce 8600 GT 256MB, or GeForce 8600M GT, or Gigabyte 8600GT

OR

nVidia 8800gts 512, or eVGA 8800GT, or nVidia 8800GT 1GB

OR

eVGA nvidia GEFORCE 9500GT, or GeForce 9500M-M MB

So basically an 8600, an 8800, or a 9500 from that side of the house...

Or from the ATI side,

An ATI Radeon HD5770

Keep in mind these were taken off a website so I don't know what's really going on with them but let me know what you guys think.

After doing some research it seems the 9500 is better than the 8600 and the 8800 so I guess it is between the 9500 and the 5770. I want the best one.

Okay it looks like the 5770 is a lot better and more expensive. That's okay though I am willing to spend the extra money, I am sick of sucky video cards.

These are the ones that will work:
MSI ATI Radeon 5770 1GB
Gigabyte HD5770 1GB
XFX HD5770 1GB (would like to stay away from this one actually)

out of those three which one is the best?

Last edited:

2048Megabytes

The case choice looks fine that you picked. I just did not want you to get a new system with high hopes and then end up with problems because of a poor quality power supply.

I looked at all the specifications on the video cards you posted. It really helps us give advice if you post links to what you are looking at.

Was this one of the video cards you were looking at?

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1 gigabyte 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 Video Card - $140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&Tpk=xfx hd5770

The XFX HD-577A-ZNFC video card looks like a decent buy to me.

durkmusic

Actually by the time you looked at the post I probably updated it. I would like to stay away from the XFX version and just go with either MSI or Gigabyte. The reason why I didn't post links was because I wanted you guys to recommend something since you know a lot more about this stuff than I do.

salvage-this

I would choose between these two
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125327

The MSI card has a better cooling solution IMO (I have had cards with the twin frozr ll & lll coolers) but both look like they can handle the 5770 just fine. The Gigabyte has a slightly higher core clock (900 vs 875) but I would think that you could OC the MSI card to the same levels pretty easily. Warranty is a bit longer on Gigabyte card. MSI is a bit more expensive.

It's really up to you. I would think that both cards are going to perform almost identical.

durkmusic

I'm not a pc gamer but my friend said I should play BFBC3 on pc... could my new system run it with this 5770?
Plust idk if I can even run those cards on my mobo. It says it supports the latest PCI 2.0... obviously that's not the latest anymore lmao

Also, what do you think about this HDD I want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

And I also need some arctic silver I guess... but I never know what to get.. some is expensive and some is cheap. I want good quality but I don't want to pay a lot for that stuff. HELP?!?!

Last edited:

salvage-this

I'm not a pc gamer but my friend said I should play BFBC3 on pc... could my new system run it with this 5770?
Plust idk if I can even run those cards on my mobo. It says it supports the latest PCI 2.0... obviously that's not the latest anymore lmao

a 5770 should be able to run it but I have no idea what settings. Take a look at the benchmarks for BFBC2 with the 5770. I would guess it would be similar. I have not heard of any massive changes that will make the game harder to play.

The PCIx16 slots are backwards compatible. So your 2.1 card will work in your 2.0 slot just fine

Also, what do you think about this HDD I want to get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

That is a good HDD here is one that seems to get recommended a lot. I have it and it gives great performance.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

And I also need some arctic silver I guess... but I never know what to get.. some is expensive and some is cheap. I want good quality but I don't want to pay a lot for that stuff. HELP?!?!

Artic Silver 5 is the one that most people around here use. I would go with that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007&cm_re=as5-_-35-100-007-_-Product

I hope that clears up a few of your questions :D

durkmusic

haha sorry for all the questions. I have no clue about all this x16, 2.0, 2.1 stuff.. I should really do some research on that. But if you say it works I guess I will go with one of those cards.

For the HDD, which one should I get? If the black will give me better performance as far as loading times transfer times and open apps faster I would rather pay the extra 20 bills.

salvage-this

I doubt that you will see much of a difference between the two drives. I think that once you get over 32mb cache you can't really tell the difference unless benchmarking. Hopefully if 2048Megabytes swings by this thread again he can provide more of a reason to go with one over the other. He knows a lot more about HDDs than I do.

durkmusic

That 5830 won't work with my computer I need the 5770. It's almost the best one that will work without breaking the bank. And yes I'm sure.