Bulldozer

Troncoso

VIP Member
I'm not that up to date with the latest tech like this cool guy here finding info on a octo-core, but it seems strange to me that they keep adding more and more cores, meanwhile very very few are actually making software to take advantage of them. When they finally do, this thing will be a beginner's cpu.

2048Megabytes

If I am understanding correctly this eight-core AMD processor is set up as a quad-core with dual-core processors in each core. Each dual-core inside this processor shares 2 megabytes of level 2 cache. I think my statement is correct.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Right, each module has 2MB. of L2.

No word of how much L3. But it looks like each module has its own L3 too. Just a guess from what it looks like.

Might be a good idea. You could add modules and keep the same ratio of L3.

mihir

VIP Member
So even the single thread applications will be able to utilize atleast two cores, am I right?

StrangleHold

Staff member
So even the single thread applications will be able to utilize atleast two cores, am I right?

From what I understand, no. A single thread will use one set of pipelines on a module. But will have access to the whole upper end with out sharing and the whole 2mb. of L2.

linkin

VIP Member
Right, each module has 2MB. of L2.

No word of how much L3. But it looks like each module has its own L3 too. Just a guess from what it looks like.

Might be a good idea. You could add modules and keep the same ratio of L3.

Every BD chip will have 8MB of L3 is what I've heard, even the hex and quad cores.

2048Megabytes

Looks like AMD is back in the game with their Zambezi core processor line. Prices on the central processing units look really good too.

Now if I can just convince my employer to replace my junk Pentium 4 computer at work here with a Zambezi core computer. Hey, a man can dream can't he? :D

2048Megabytes

Now if I can just convince my employer to replace my junk Pentium 4 computer at work here with a Zambezi core computer. Hey, a man can dream can't he? :D

Well, my wish came partially true. One of my co-workers quit on September 19th and I ended up with his computer! The computer I ended up with has a Core 2 Duo 6550 Processor. I can definitely feel a difference in processing power over the Pentium 4 (3.2 gigahertz) Processor I was stuck with. Oh thank goodness!