burning blu ray discs

zaroba

i could make use of them too.

i download anime that isen't licensed in america (thus it is legal to download it). i got 145 dvds of it burnt and another 500gb+ on my pc waiting to be burnt. its just a matter of finding the time to spend 2-3 days burning 100+ dvds.

of course, one must also consider that burning a 50gb blu-ray disc at 2x would probably also take longer then burning 10 dvds at 16x. so doesn't really save time at all. its just a matter of convience (this could be completly wrong though, i don't know what the data transfer rates for blu-ray are).

as i said earlier though, its in no way cost effecient.
even at 500gb. a 100pack of dvds is only 30-50 dollars.
10 blue-ray discs would cost over $150, plus another $500 for the burner.

and theres occasionally times when discs don't burn correctly. so theres a wasted 15 dollars.

a somewhat good and cheap alternative is external hard drives.
only around $120 for a 500gb hard drive at newegg.com. buy a few, get a usb drive encloser, put one of the hard drives in it, fill it, take the drive out of it and put it in an anti-static bag, in a foam sleeve, in a box in your closet for when you need it in the future. nicely protected, great storage.

Last edited:

heyman421

banned
i think it takes 45 minutes to burn a 25 gig disc

and in reality, if you care about those animes, you should really only be burning at 4-8x

16x is wishy-washy

zaroba

i think it takes 45 minutes to burn a 25 gig disc and in reality, if you care about those animes, you should really only be burning at 4-8x. 16x is wishy-washy

yea, i do only burn at 8x. more dependable and i hate wasting discs.

is it illegal if i ripped them all myself then put them on a disc for my own personal use ? i dont think it is is it ? its just the same as recording videos off the tv that isnt illegal

i believe the latest copyright laws say its even illeagle to make backup copies of stuff that you baught. instead the RIAA/MPAA want you to line there pockets some more and just rebuy the disc.

Last edited:

ADE

banned
is it illegal if i ripped them all myself then put them on a disc for my own personal use ? i dont think it is is it ? its just the same as recording videos off the tv that isnt illegal

That's Bull sh*t. Look at the copy rights. :rolleyes:

Irishwhistle

Just because there are lots of illegal uses of Blue-Ray doesn't make it bad to use them. They can be used for backing up an HD, That's completely legal. Also if you buy videos off iTunes they could be burned to one to. You just can't make two copies.

ADE

banned
Even so, out of all the reasons to get one, you all know that's gonna be the biggest part of it. Don't deny it.

heyman421

banned
it's true......

Nothing else justifies the price right now.

I bought a cd-burner when they were still $500-600 for the sole purpose of copying playstation games. I mean, honestly, what legitimate use would warrant $500?

You can get a 2 TB external hard drive for a few hundred dollars, and use that to back up your computer, and never need to buy a single disk.

Geoff

VIP Member
of course, one must also consider that burning a 50gb blu-ray disc at 2x would probably also take longer then burning 10 dvds at 16x. so doesn't really save time at all. its just a matter of convience (this could be completly wrong though, i don't know what the data transfer rates for blu-ray are).
As you seem to have said later on, the speeds arent the same. For instance, burning a DVD at 12x is alot faster then burning a CD at 48x. Im not sure what the transfer rate is of Blu-Ray, but im sure it's faster.

ADE

banned
Blue Ray burners connect through a SATA 2 port. Theoretically the SATA2 ports can give up to 300MB/s data speeds. Although that speed has never been reached in reality, I'm sure the Blue Ray burner will utilize as much as possible.

Irishwhistle

Even so, out of all the reasons to get one, you all know that's gonna be the biggest part of it. Don't deny it.

I have no interest in getting one. I will probably end up needing to have a reader in the far future, but I don't even have a DVD drive on my PC. No interest whatsoever.

ADE

banned
well you may not want one, along with many other, I'm just say as of now, you would have no other reason than to do just burn illegal disks. I think we're all mature enough to accept that and to no do such silly things.

Irishwhistle

Sometime they probably will be quite useful as software keeps getting bigger and bigger. There is nothing wrong with the device itself and if I went and bought one there is no reason what so ever that you could blame me. In time lots of people will use them. Everything on this earth can be used in a good way. The problem is not with Blue Ray, the problem is with using them irresponsibly. Tell me, what could the average person of used a computer for when they first came out? Today practically everyone uses them. There is nothing wrong with technology.

~Jordan

ADE

banned
I know, but honistally, if you want space then a DVD x what ever amount would be cheaper. smarter. The cant split a movie into 2 disks. A BlueRay ROM drive is fine for watching. The fact of the matter is, most of teh people will be getting one for that sole purpus. I'm not saying you will, bet as of now, there is no real lagit mass reason for it.

ADE

banned
yes. it beats using a type writer. Also doing some math homework in collage. There is always a reason for something, but weather it is for something illegal is another story.

Geoff

VIP Member
yes. it beats using a type writer. Also doing some math homework in collage. There is always a reason for something, but weather it is for something illegal is another story.

The first computers werent used for typing :)

But if your referring to a PC, then yes, thats one of the reasons.

ApexHack

I completely disagree with ADE's pessimistic view on this subject. With that kind of attitude nothing would be developed. It's a horribly short-sighted philosophy.

So I guess copiers should be outlawed because you could reproduce currency with them?

Thank goodness Jordan is being the voice of reason here.

I haven't heard of any changes to our copyright law regarding fair use.

"The game of crying wolf [over piracy] is not only tiresome; it's harmful to consumers and innovation."
CEA chief Gary Shapiro
http://portableaudio.engadget.com/2...wn-thinly-veiled-attack-by-riaa-on-fair-use/3
I agree wholeheartedly.

ADE

banned
name 5 legit reason you would truly and honistly use with this thing. not just say it, but 100% would do without a heat beat with this thing legally. I'm not being pessimistic, I'm being realistic.

Irishwhistle

I will be realistic too. Here are 5 reasons:

Back up a hard disk
Burn iTunes videos on
Burn your collection of home movies on
Clean up your PC by putting your files on the disk and clearing your PC
And burning large files and freeware that you have accumulated in the past (Which I tend to accumulate a lot)

Edit- Even today there are probably more illegal reasons to use a copy machine but there are also many very good and legal ways to use them.

~Jordan

Last edited: