Buying an Xbox 360

Alright I admit I;m a tad of a cheap skate. Because of this I've looked into buying a refurbished, instead on new X Box 360 from Here. However, I was wondering if you guys felt this was a worth while deal and also I've heard a ton about X Box 360 horror stories like the flashing red light. I've also heard stories of accessory fans causing these problems. If I buy the 360 what accessories should I get to prevent a meltdown, what fans and other valuables should I get? I just want a cheap system that will last a while and will probably receive a good amount of stress because I'll be running it 720p HD. All feedback is appreciated.

g4m3rof1337

Cant say ive encountered a problem...
Ill leave my 360 on all day...
I play halo 2 alot, and some GoW...

But...Haven't had any problems....

And its not bad being a cheap skate... Its always good to buy something good, for the least amount of money. Good Luck.

g4m3rof1337

Ive been meaning to buy one. Lol.
I am 'cheap' myself, I am going to build one. Lol.

Not an actual 360 fan.
More like... A better cooling environment, and some little stuff to make it flow better.

bbradley

Micro Center has a deal where you buy a new 360 for $399 and get a $50 Micro Center gift card. So it is like paying $349 for the xbox. I just bought one 2 weeks ago, and I am loving it.

bigsaucybob

Save your money.

The Xbox 360 Elite will be coming out in a few months. It will be much better and only $479. So you can save your money until that point, get a new and better Xbox 360.

It is very worth it to buy an Xbox 360, or an Xbox 360 Elite.

PohTayToez

Save your money.

The Xbox 360 Elite will be coming out in a few months. It will be much better and only $479. So you can save your money until that point, get a new and better Xbox 360.

It is very worth it to buy an Xbox 360, or an Xbox 360 Elite.

Bad suggestion. All it comes with is a bigger hard drive and an HD-DVD drive, right? Not things needed for someone who is trying to save their money in the first place.

Also, that website makes it seem like your getting a better deal than you really are... the 360 premium is normally $400, not $500. My suggestion, DO wait until the XBox 360 Elite comes out, and then buy a 360 Premium on eBay, which should be flooded with all the yuppies who have to have the newest console the day it comes out.

m0nk3ys1ms

Bad suggestion. All it comes with is a bigger hard drive and an HD-DVD drive, right? Not things needed for someone who is trying to save their money in the first place.

Also, that website makes it seem like your getting a better deal than you really are... the 360 premium is normally $400, not $500. My suggestion, DO wait until the XBox 360 Elite comes out, and then buy a 360 Premium on eBay, which should be flooded with all the yuppies who have to have the newest console the day it comes out.

Only difference is that it's black (the first releases are going to be black and white ones are coming later) , 120GB HDD (which you'll never use unless you download a lot of movies, demos, ect. from XBL Marketplace), and an HDMI output (which people think is the best thing in the world). It also has a different processor that runs cooler. The 120GB HDD will also be on sale for "under $200".

Last edited:

g4m3rof1337

All i ask is that the original Xbox 360 can play halo 3.
And they dont come out with the...xbox 360 uber package or whatever...

double b26

i would buy the refurb.

if you buy a new one (like i did), it will probably just break down in a few months (mine lasted 3 months). then when you send it to microsoft to fix it, theyll send you back a different one that has already been fixed (i guess to speed up the process). so the long and short of it is that i paid full price for a 360, but when it broke, they sent me someone elses refurbed console. so save yourself some money and get the refurb. my refurb is a lot quiter and smoother running than the one i bought new.

the only thing the elite has the the others dont is the black paint, hdmi output and the 120gb hard drive. and microsoft claims that it will be built to a higher standard. the chipset is the same on the elite and other 360's. so unless you care about the color, hdmi and need the extra hard drive space, go with the premium system.

fanstand vs intercooler. go with the fan stand. if you do some searching on the nyko intercooler, youll find that it *may or may not* but responsible for the red rings of death. i bought a fan stand(that goes on the bottom). it works great. the cd's come out of the console a lot cooler than without it. check out my write up about the coolers on xbox.com

Geoff

VIP Member

It doesnt come with the HD DVD player.

The only differences are:

Black plastic instead of white.
120GB Hard Drive
HDMI Port w/cable

maroon1

are there any confirmed pics of the black 360? i want to see it

4322_4279_large_xbox-360-elite-final-08.jpg

4280_blackxbox_1.jpg