Buying an Xbox 360

12-Gauge

I strongly dissuade anyone from getting the 360 Elite, it's a waste of money. Nobody needs 120GB of storage, you barely need 20GB. The HDMI offers a minimal image quality increase, at best, and you would need at least a 50" HDTV to notice. Finally, is it really worth forking out extra cash for a black finish?

Geoff

VIP Member
I strongly dissuade anyone from getting the 360 Elite, it's a waste of money. Nobody needs 120GB of storage, you barely need 20GB. The HDMI offers a minimal image quality increase, at best, and you would need at least a 50" HDTV to notice. Finally, is it really worth forking out extra cash for a black finish?

I agree. You're paying $80 more to get a larger hard drive, HDMI port, and black plastic. Unless you store lots of music on it, you would never need that much space. I can see if it had an HD-DVD Player or the newer processors, but nope.

bigsaucybob

[-0MEGA-];631780 said:
I agree. You're paying $80 more to get a larger hard drive, HDMI port, and black plastic. Unless you store lots of music on it, you would never need that much space. I can see if it had an HD-DVD Player or the newer processors, but nope.

Actually, the Xbox 360 Elite (and Xbox 360 with update) will soon support IPTV which will allow you to use your Xbox 360 as a DVR. So 120GB is actually very useful considering you will be filling it up with TV shows. As well as music, movies, games, etc.

12-Gauge

I suppose, but then again, if you want extra space, couldn't you just get a 500GB external for a fraction of the price of the Elite? Maybe i'm wrong, I forget whether or not 360 has USB ports

Geoff

VIP Member
I suppose, but then again, if you want extra space, couldn't you just get a 500GB external for a fraction of the price of the Elite? Maybe i'm wrong, I forget whether or not 360 has USB ports

They have USB port, but I dont think you can hook up an external HD to it.

12-Gauge

Shame. Clever thinking by MS though. Means that you HAVE to buy THEIR hard drives and nobody elses. They must be making a shed load of money from peripherals.

bigsaucybob

[-0MEGA-];631811 said:

Shame. Clever thinking by MS though. Means that you HAVE to buy THEIR hard drives and nobody elses. They must be making a shed load of money from peripherals.

You can hook up an external HDD but its quite complicated. MS made it possible, but made it very difficult. They might have fixed it by now, but in the beginning I am sure it was possible.

double b26

the 20gb hard drive is too small. and you actually only get to use 12gb. some demos are 1gb or more, movies are a couple gigs or so. and the movies in high def are more than the standsard def ones. then you have your music, arcade games and downloadable content. IMO, the 20gb drive is too small, unless you just want to use the 360 for basic gaming.

from what ive read, you can hook up an external hard drive via usb. but you can only store music on it (maybe computer video files and pics too...not sure about that). but you cant store profiles, downloadable content or anything else from marketplace on it. i doubt that M$ will make the IPTV able to record to an external hard drive...probably be able to use the 360's hard drive only (to encourage ppl to buy the 120gb one, cha-ching!! thats the micorsoft way). and like most people, the hdmi is not real biggy to me. my tvs only go to 1080i cause i "jumped in" on the whole high def thing a few years ago, and now im in the same boat as with the 360....there is new and better out now. from now on, im just gonna wait for the dust to settle before i make any big purchases (like hd-dvd vs blu-ray).

and no matter which side you are on, the fact is that microsoft said we wouldnt need hdmi, then they add it later. they said the 20gb hard drive would have plenty of space. now they release the 120gb drive. my 360 bundle was $500. i could spend 179 on the drive separately. but then i would have almost 700 in the same thing you will be able to buy for under 500!! and the old 20gb drive will just be collecting dust, so its not like ill benefit from having it around. if this is how they do business, i doubt i support microsoft so readily in the future.

you guys need to check out the other topic about the xbox elite. it has all the info about the new 'level' of xbox.

12-Gauge

im just gonna wait for the dust to settle before i make any big purchases (like hd-dvd vs blu-ray).
A very wise decision
the fact is that microsoft said we wouldnt need hdmi, then they add it later. they said the 20gb hard drive would have plenty of space. now they release the 120gb drive.
That's MS for you. They have a habit for 'milking' the customer for everything they've got. Why waste time trying to force people to buy an expensive all-in-one machine (like the PS3) when you can make more money with a cheaper console and then make up the rest through upgrades, peripherals, and software? It's business logic with Microsoft written all over it. How do you think Bill Gates got to be the richest man alive?

Ramodkk

VIP Member
A very wise decision

That's MS for you. They have a habit for 'milking' the customer for everything they've got. Why waste time trying to force people to buy an expensive all-in-one machine (like the PS3) when you can make more money with a cheaper console and then make up the rest through upgrades, peripherals, and software? It's business logic with Microsoft written all over it. How do you think Bill Gates got to be the richest man alive?

Tru that!

*edit* they could've just came up with an HDMI cable or something for the 360 standard edition, but no, they HAD to come up with a whole new system really just for the cable, because with the HDD you can do the same stuff just with more space, and the black finish... forget it.

Last edited:

12-Gauge

This basically sums up why the Elite is so utterly pointless:

360vsPS3.jpg

If you take into account all the peripherals (which i'm sure people who are buying an 'Elite' console would probably want), it actually comes out to be vastly more expensive than the equivelant PS3.

12-Gauge

its the general opinion of most, sorry fanboy

It's my opinion too...hence my above comment :confused:. I think XBL is way better. I'm sorry I don't quite follow what you are getting at. I was agreeing with you.

Last edited:

bluedishwasher

It's my opinion too...hence my above comment :confused:. I think XBL is way better. I'm sorry I don't quite follow what you are getting at. I was agreeing with you.

thought it was sarcasm :eek: the games on PS3 aren't goot atm either, all killing in manchester cathedral

12-Gauge

thought it was sarcasm

Sorry about that :). Keep forgetting that when you type people can't hear the tone of your voice :D.

the games on PS3 aren't goot atm either,

Yeah, that's where PS3 is going wrong. Sony focused on hardware when they should have been focusing on software. Whilst Microsoft focused on software when the should of been focusing on hardware!

all killing in manchester cathedral

Lol. Resistance is actually meant to be pretty good.