Can a router or network be hacked/infected?

nathoonder

My parents computer I was using got a virus (perhaps multiple ones for all I know) so I went and bought one of my own. It's a Windows 8 HP and when I tried to get the free 60 day Norton up and running on it I get error code 8504-104 which is what it was giving me on the other computer when I tried to access Norton. What is going on? I downloaded free Malwarebytes for the new one and did a full system scan (lasting over an hour) and nothing was detected. Why won't the Norton come up and could this be a network or router problem?

GaryCantley

Go to the Control Panel, Programs and Features and remove Norton.

You will find the PC will run alot smoother.

Download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

It's running perfectly smooth as it is a brand new laptop, my concern is why the Norton won't run on it.

Are you planning to use norton for the trial period? if not, then just use the removal tool below.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v62545568_EndUserProfile_en_us

Install Avast for security.

*edited*

after using google I see you do have disc with you, but would like to use up the trial period first.

Also it seems as others may be having an issue with the error code that you are reporting. Hopefully you find a fix for this.. I read that a hard re-boot helped someone solve the issue. Maybe you can give that a try.

Also maybe someone else with more knowledge here would be able to assist. Good luck!

Last edited:

nathoonder

Alright. Despite all the hype a lot of computer people I know are very critical of Norton, so I think I'll go with Avast.

But as for my question, why is it acting like this? Is it just because Norton is sub-par or could my router be hacked? Like I said the computer is fresh out of the box and after a Malwarebytes full system scan it detected nothing but tracking cookies. I just find it very odd the anti virus on my new computer isn't working.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There are known issues with software and windows 8 and 8.1. Thats all we can tell you. It's probably a bad install from factory.