can i overclock this cpu?

viet_Cong

hey i got a amd athlon x64 x2 dual core 4000+. running at 2.10Ghz.

i want to run MW3 and such but need a better speed. is it possible to overclock this cpu? the computer tends to laggs when multitasking btw.

wolfeking

banned
that will depend more on the motherboard and cooler rather than the CPU. Every CPU made can be overclocked with the right motherboard and CPU cooler.

viet_Cong

that will depend more on the motherboard and cooler rather than the CPU. Every CPU made can be overclocked with the right motherboard and CPU cooler.

specs:
motherboard: m3a
graphic card: geforce 9500 GT
ram: 2gb OCZ
cooler: stock fan/heatsinks

wolfeking

banned
that motherboard spec doesn't aid us. We need to know the brand at least.

This isn't a brand name computer like HP, Dell, Acer or such, is it?

You can not safely overclock on stock heat sinks though.

7angofragger

that motherboard spec doesn't aid us. We need to know the brand at least.

The M3A is an Asus board.

Your best bet, OP, is to just leave it where it is, and upgrade when you can. With that processor being as old as it is, I'm sure it has a lot of hours under its belt, and to be honest, those processors didn't really gain that much (or at least to make a difference in MW3) performance to justify spending the money and getting an after market heatsink.

wolfeking

banned
an aftermarket cooler could be transferred to a new build. Overclocking may help, but its not going to be easy on that processor, as it will have to be FSB overclocking.

7angofragger

an aftermarket cooler could be transferred to a new build. Overclocking may help, but its not going to be easy on that processor, as it will have to be FSB overclocking.

Could be, but spending 50 for a heatsink, and overclocking an old processor with an old motherboard that is very limited, I think his money would be better spent, Ideally on a new motherboard, processor (either AM3 or go towards an i7), ram, and cooler. That would take care of his lag.

But, the cheep est way, would be to just pick up some Arctic Silver and a good universal heatsink. Xigmatek makes a really good budget cooler thats very universal. But even with that, I am afraid you would still need a better motherboard for optimal overclocking.

JasonJohnston09

IMO (which doesn't mean much) save your money for a new cpu and mobo. Either direction you go there is a xigamatech cooler for 20 bucks in the FS thread. You can pick up a good AM3 board and cpu for pretty cheap.

edit: also, ddr3 is stupid cheap.