Can I upgrade my cpu

niunit

My computer is about 4 years old.
I5 3570 3.4 ghz
16gb ram
Gtx 1060 6gb
Windows 7
New 650 watt psu

I want to know how or if I could upgrade my cpu because right now in assassin creed origins it's bottleneck. I assume I would need a new motherboard. I want an i7 processor. Is it possible to upgrade just the cpu. Would I need to upgrade anything else, such as case?

Thanks for the help.

beers

Staff member
You could throw a 3770K in there, but they're generally still relatively expensive. You'd be better off upgrading the whole system

What exactly is the bottleneck? Low fps on ultra? That i5 should be fine for most games, but the 1060 isn't a top tier performer (although does offer decent performance at reasonable settings).

niunit

I'm at 100% most of the time in that and my fps is all over the place. It's a cpu based game, so that's why I would go with an i7 based one.

niunit

If you have the money, get a new MOBO, CPU, and RAM. If not, go with @beers suggestion.

Is that possible even in my existing case ? I don't know if they are universal or not. My gtx 1060 still gets most calls at high or ultra so it's more my cpu that I'm worried about.

_Kyle_

Is that possible even in my existing case ? I don't know if they are universal or not. My gtx 1060 still gets most calls at high or ultra so it's more my cpu that I'm worried about.
You could probably drill standoffs for the mobo. I mATx mobo seems to be an appropriate size.

niunit

Is it not possible to replace the cpu instead? I've read online you can, but it's based off if it's socketed or not which I don't understand. Is that possible?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It might. If not, you'll have to open the case and look on the motherboard. Could be stamped between pci express slots or up near ram slots.

niunit

The only thing I could find on the motherboard was lga1155, socket 1155 was next to the fan heatsink. serial ata 6gb Im not sure where else I could look if there is anything else I am missing

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can install either 3770 or the 3770k. The k will allow you to overclock. But is the upgrade gonna be worth it?

niunit

I cant install one with any 1155 socket? I went to newegg and looked under cpu and found the 1155 socket. such as an i7 2600k. Im trying to get an i7 processor so I can run some games that are more cpu dependent better

beers

Staff member
2600 is a previous generation. Usually they're around the same price as the 3770

niunit

However am I right when i say as long as the cpu is a 1155 socket compatible I would be ok? I see they are very expensive next to an i7 7700k. Wouldnt any i7 be better then my current I5?

Darren

Staff member
I wouldn't spend money on that platform anymore. The 3770K will give you some improvement in heavily threaded games. Save your money and go Ryzen (2?) or Coffee Lake when you can afford it.

niunit

in your opinion if assassin creed origins is the only game giving my cpu a hard time, is it even worth it since my gpu does fine in any other game i play?

also i only have windows 7, which it seems hurts me also.