Can i uppgrade my RAM

XhovercatX

Hello. i whant to make one question clear. Can i uppgrade to more then 4GB RAM on this Motherboard? the pc got windows 7 64 BIT so i don't see any reason why not.

Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: microATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: Intel G41 Express
Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 1333/1066/800 MHz
Processor socket: 775
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
2 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI slot
1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

Supports DDR3 DIMMs only
Dual channel memory architecture
Two DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets
DIMM types:
PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)
PC3-6400 (DDR3-800)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2 GB DDR3 DIMMs (1 GB DIMM modules are also supported)
Supports up to 4 GB on 64-bit PCs
32 bit PCs cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.
Maximum memory only if using 2GB DDR3 DIMM modules.

TekMaster

Intels G41 northbridge (or memory controller hub) chipset supports up to 8GBs of DDR2 and 4GBs of DDR3, so 4GBs looks to be the maxed out amount due to your mobo supports DDR3 DIMMs only.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

What you have is a motherboard limitation not an OS limitation.

Surely. OS windows do have limitation RAM, it depend on any kind of OS such as 16-bit, 32-bit or 64-bit. 32-bit limited 4 GB RAM and 64-bit limited 16 exbibytes (that is 16 billion GB!) RAM.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Surely. OS windows do have limitation RAM, it depend on any kind of OS such as 16-bit, 32-bit or 64-bit. 32-bit limited 4 GB RAM and 64-bit limited 16 exbibytes (that is 16 billion GB!) RAM.

Well, in this case the motherboard that the OP has will only support 4gb of ram no matter what.

I already know that it takes a 64 bit OS to utilize more than 4gb of ram, but the problem being is that the motherboard has to support more than 4gb of memory as well.

But for your information, you are wrong. Per microsoft limitations are as follows.

Windows 7 Ultimate
192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise
192 GB

Windows 7 Professional
192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
8 GB

Taken from this website.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

TekMaster

Well, in this case the motherboard that the OP has will only support 4gb of ram no matter what.

I already know that it takes a 64 bit OS to utilize more than 4gb of ram, but the problem being is that the motherboard has to support more than 4gb of memory as well.

But for your information, you are wrong. Per microsoft limitations are as follows.

Windows 7 Ultimate
192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise
192 GB

Windows 7 Professional
192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
8 GB

Taken from this website.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

+1, very nice

he's 100% right. And this all boils down to what mobo he has and what northbridge chipset or memory controller hub it's using

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

Windows 7 Ultimate
192 GB

Windows 7 Enterprise
192 GB

Windows 7 Professional
192 GB

Windows 7 Home Premium
16 GB

Windows 7 Home Basic
8 GB

Taken from this website.

But why there are information that claim windows 64 bit on wikipedia can support 16 exbibytes?
That's how i get information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
But why there are information that claim windows 64 bit on wikipedia can support 16 exbibytes?
That's how i get information here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit.

Just because thats the max amount 64 bit can address doesn mean that the Memory Controller and or Bios will address that much. Doesnt mean that Microsoft has to either. It is a theoretical reason why they limit the amount. Same reason you would not program the bios to go to the year 2250. Whats the point? Most new desktop motherboards max are either 16 or 32gb.

Jamebonds1

Just because thats the max amount 64 bit can address doesn mean that the Memory Controller and or Bios will address that much. Doesnt mean that Microsoft has to either. It is a theoretical reason why they limit the amount. Same reason you would not program the bios to go to the year 2250. Whats the point? Most new desktop motherboards max are either 16 or 32gb.

Actually there are new motherboard that can support up to 128 GB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130624

Server motherboard support up to 288 GB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813182176

TekMaster

Jamebonds1

your right, but MOST support either 16GBs or 32GBs as StrangleHold pointed out
either your memory controller hub or your northbridge has to support a certain amount as well , along with your BIOS, OS and so on

Yeah. I'm happy with 4 GB anyway unless new video game need 4 GB RAM I would upgrade RAM.

Okedokey

To the OP, please download PC Wiz from my sig, install and run it, and then go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Save the text out of that file into this thread please.

Jamebonds1

To the OP, please download PC Wiz from my sig, install and run it, and then go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Save the text out of that file into this thread please.

Now just a minute. That is not how you answer OP's question. OP asked if he can upgrade to 4 GB, not asking for any that type of program.

To OP. It might be helpful.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/mainstream-chipsets/g41-express-chipset.html

You can installing 4 GB on your computer, but there is small problem. It is old chipset. It might will shown only 3.5 GB to 3.8 GB usable.

If RAM had reached limited of RAM support then it won't shown all of your computer memory on system information.
Such as "Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (3.87 GB usable)"

For EX: If you installing more than 8 GB RAM and you have windows 7 32 bit, what happen? It will say 3.5 GB usable.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Now just a minute. That is not how you answer OP's question. OP asked if he can upgrade to 4 GB, not asking for any that type of program.

PC Wizard is a system information program. With it he could probably get the motherboard model number and find out what his true amount of memory thats supported.

StrangleHold

Staff member
We already know the limited RAM support. Look at link i found.

The G41 chipset will support up to 8gb of memory. He has a 64 bit OS. His question was can it support more then 4gb.

Since the chipset supports 8gb and he has a 64 bit OS. His chipset and OS will support a full 4gb., without subtracting some for hardware memory addresses.

The point is just because his chipset will support 8gb. doesnt mean his board will. So knowing his boards model number we could find out if his board supports more then 4gb.

Last edited:

Jamebonds1

The G41 chipset will support up to 8gb of memory. He has a 64 bit OS. His question was can it support more then 4gb.

Since the chipset supports 8gb and he has a 64 bit OS. His chipset and OS will support a full 4gb., without subtracting some for hardware memory addresses.

The point is just because his chipset will support 8gb. doesnt mean his board will. So knowing his boards model number we could find out if his board supports more then 4gb.

8 GB RAM for DDR2 and 4 GB RAM for DDR3. Chipset on his motherboard are either use DDR2 slot or DDR3 slot. I can remember that day LGA 775 have been changed from DDR2 to DDR3.

Last edited: