Can my power supply support either a 7600GT or a x1950GT?

I think a single 12volt @ 28 Amps is more than enough for one PCI-E graphics card. Just make sure its not too much amps on the rail. Less amp is better than too much amp. Excess amp on individual rail may cause the parts to overdrive. Check your graphics card to see how many amps it can handle.

If you are looking for an SLi PSU setup, the PSU are different. SLi ready PSU usually are 600Watts with atleast 2 12v @ 20 Amps.

Here is an SLi PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817255016

Output currents are :

Output +3.3V@28A,+5V@48A,+12V1@20A,+12V2@20A,
-12V@1 .0A,[email protected]

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Honestly, most PCI-E video cards do not mention the amount of mininum-maximum amperage it can handle. My best adivce for you is to just buy the cheap $19.99 PSU and try it out. If it doesn't work, oh well. If it does then great! Afterall it's only $20.

Don't forget to look at the amount of cables they provide for you. I think the amount of cables for power, type of pin connector, and SLi ready PSU or not.

Last edited:

ceewi1

VIP Member
I think a single 12volt @ 28 Amps is more than enough for one PCI-E graphics card. Just make sure its not too much amps on the rail. Less amp is better than too much amp. Excess amp on individual rail may cause the parts to overdrive. Check your graphics card to see how many amps it can handle.
Please check your facts before posting this sort of garbage. There is no such thing as too much amperage on a particular rail. You can use a 1000W PSU on a PC that will never draw more than 100W, and it will run flawlessly. A component will only draw what's required.

See, his is only 18A on the 12V rail, so why cant 28A on the 12V rail be enough for the x1950GT?

How many amps does it need?
The official recommendation is +12V@30A. In practice that's considerably more than what's required. The Dynapower would be sufficient if it could actually output the power it's rated for. In practice, it cannot.

See, his is only 18A on the 12V rail, so why cant 28A on the 12V rail be enough for the x1950GT?
7600GTs don't draw much power. X1950s are another story. As I've already said, the output ratings on the Dynapower are unrealistic, whereas the amperage rating on that Thermaltake PSU is more or less realistic (although the wattage rating is not, it's actually a rebadged 300W).

Going for the cheapest PSU that might possible work is never a good idea. The Ultra XVS 600W is a great choice for a sub-$50 PSU.

lovely?

You can use a 1000W PSU on a PC that will never draw more than 100W, and it will run flawlessly. A component will only draw what's required.

lol i just have to say it: if your running a computer nowadays with a 1000W PSU and a 100W computer then its not the computer that has problems its YOU... lol...... k im done...

personally i would pick up the mushkin. power supplies are not a part that you scimp on. you can scimp on ram, cpu, gfx, mobo, hdd, but if you scimp on psu you seriously risk putting your investment in a very large amount of danger. thats why when i bought MY psu, i bought a 150$ 700W OCZ namebrand power supply do power an AMD 3400 and an X800GTO... overkill? DAMN right, but its SAFE

PC eye

banned
My motherboard is 20 pin.. Which do I need?

Will this run the x1950GT?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817174019

No SLI support even without running an SLI setup and a supply for $20-$30 usually spells bad news. It's a low powered low end quality type supply. Until ceewi1 makes up a good sticky on supplies the continual revision of the "good" and "bad" lists for makes and models cintinues like those seen in the lists here.

Further revised 5/16/07:
Good:
Antec(except Smart Power models) - Astec - AOpen - Channel Well - Coolermaster - Enermax(except Liberty models)
- Enlight - Fortron Source (Sparkle) - HEC - OCZ Technology - PC Power & Cooling - PowerMan
- Seasonic - SilverStone - Sunbeam - Tagan(older models) - TTGI/SuperFlower - Vantec - Zippy / Emacs - Verax - XCLIO - Zalman
- Corsair - Ultra

Bad:
Allied - Antec Smart Power models seem to lack(recommend True Power or NeoHE) - Aspire - CoolMax - DEER - Enermax Liberty models - ePower - EYE-T
- KingStar - L&C - Linkworld - Logisys - PowerMagic - PowerUp - Powmax - Q-Tec - Raidmax - Skyhawk - Star
- Turbolink - ThermalTake(complaints heard some good some ???) - Rosewill - SilenX ??? ToPower(newer models)

Having a "good" supply that supplies an adequate power level as well as good regulation is basically the heart of a good system. Wattage and amperage alone mean nothing by themselves. Stabily under load and quality components are what to look for. Cheap caps and no regulation spell... :eek:!!!

I'm not going to run SLI...

Can someone link me a "good" PSU, and my budget at the most is $50 + shipping. It needs to be 20+4 since my motherboard has a 20 pin plug.

PC eye

banned
For the X1950 and other newer cards like the 7950, 8600, and 8800 models as well you would want a good 450w model to start with. Besides the card alone any ocing or additional devices, hard drives added will also tax a supply. For any idea of an SLI or CrossFire setup with two X1950s in particular you would then start looking at heavier models to meet the power demands there.