Can some one diagnose my computer's problem?

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995
MOBO:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519
GFX:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161377

About 2 years ago I put together my computer, at first it was working fine then my GFX card's fan went out and the problems started coming. I didn't know what the problems was but every thing was fine. But fast forward up to now, I am finding my self not being able to run games as smoothly and i get huge frame rate drops in most mmos and games now except league of legends ( why i play it so much)

The main problem is, something in my PC is causing it to shut down when it gets to hot, I presume its the heat because I have placed a floor fan next to my computer and the problem does not/rarely appear as much Even worse is after this problem occurs my computer wil enter a phase where it wil refuse to boot up until it cools.( usually when it boots successfully it beeps)
So i opened my case while it wasn't booting so that it could recieve some air to cool it down. Then i tried touching my GFX card and unless its because its closer to the fan or it was because the inner workings are under the plastic exterior it was not hot. Now i placed my finger on the heatsink fan for my cpu and it was hot enough for me to pull my finger away after a couple of seconds. Now i am totally confused on what Is the problem and what part i will need to replace first in the future (eventually i will replace the gfx though it sucks..)

Also forgot to say the symptoms of my computer crashing is a loss of audio, followed by me losing control. Even things like firefox or internet explorer will cause a crash yet strangley google chrome dosen't unless im watching youtube for a while.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
So you already seem to know it's overheating. The next step would be to monitor the temps and see what component is overheating. Download HWmonitor and start putting load on your PC (either play a game for a little while or download 3dMark14 and run that). Also it's not the GPU fan you want to touch to see how hot it is. Touching right on the back where the GPU processor is soldered to the PCB board is where it will be the hottest.

You already said your GPU fan stopped working and you didn't say if you RMA'd your card to get it repaired so I'm assuming it's still broken and your GPU is overheating. Also I'd take your tower off the floor as it collects way more dust on the floor than if it was up off the floor.

Last edited:
So you already seem to know it's overheating. The next step would be to monitor the temps and see what component is overheating. Download HWmonitor and start putting load on your PC (either play a game for a little while or download 3dMark14 and run that).

You already said your GPU fan stopped working and you didn't say if you RMA'd your card to get it repaired so I'm assuming it's still broken and your GPU is overheating. Also I'd take your tower off the floor as it collects way more dust on the floor than if it was up off the floor.

Yea i could of got it Rma'd but i felt like it wasn't worth it because i learned later that the card i bought was the one card i did not read the reviews on, and htat people were repeatedly getting problems with it. Ill try downloading the program.

Edit: i added a picture of the program, both hardwares are producing high temps, now i don't know if they both are overheating or one is causing the other to get warmer. I don't even know if i have enough space in my case for additional fans Case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-N82E16811119233&scpid=22&scid=scsho5454691 temperatures.jpg

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yea i could of got it Rma'd but i felt like it wasn't worth it

Stupid reason. If you can RMA a piece of hardware, always do it or else you'll be dealing with problems like this. All it would cost to you is shipping postage to the RMA center (which would have been no more than $15 max).

Stupid reason. If you can RMA a piece of hardware, always do it or else you'll be dealing with problems like this. All it would cost to you is shipping postage to the RMA center (which would have been no more than $15 max).

I guess, lesson learned i edited my post above with a screen.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Your CPU temps are fine for load. Your GPU temp at load seems to be getting high. That's going to be your issue. Because it's overheated regularly it probably can't take high temps as well anymore. The problem is getting progressively worse.

RMA your GPU. You could also buy a new GPU and RMA the old one, then sell the replacement when it arrives.

Your CPU temps are fine for load. Your GPU temp at load seems to be getting high. That's going to be your issue. Because it's overheated regularly it probably can't take high temps as well anymore. The problem is getting progressively worse.

RMA your GPU. You could also buy a new GPU and RMA the old one, then sell the replacement when it arrives.

I see, thank you too bad my gfx warranty is out, Illt ry seeing how much a repalcement fee is. but for the meantime do you know a good replacement gfx that is compatible with my mobo/ fits my case? (aiming for somethign that can run upcoming games on high -ultra. Some people say the nivida 760 but is it not becoming obsolete soon compared to new games?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You could look for a used (or new; your preference) GTX 670. Back when I had a GTX 570 I could still run everything on max. In any case, look into Gigabyte cards for either of those as they have some of the best coolers. MSI cards are also really good.

This GTX 760 is is actually a good price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125494. Or if you don't want to spend that much: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953 And you can keep it for several years with your next major CPU/Mobo upgrade.

Last edited:
You could look for a used (or new; your preference) GTX 670. Back when I had a GTX 570 I could still run everything on max. In any case, look into Gigabyte cards for either of those as they have some of the best coolers. MSI cards are also really good.

This GTX 760 is is actually a good price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125494. And you can keep it for several years with your next major CPU/Mobo upgrade.

Is buying used computer hardware a good idea?

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Is buying used computer hardware a good idea?

That's up to you. If you buy from someone online that's reputable (good heatware normally) then yeah it's always a good idea. I bought my GTX 570 off someone here on CF and then bought my GTX 670 off a guy on [H]ardforum. Keep in mind there's always an element of risk to it though. Always pay through something like Paypal that has buyer protection and avoid things like Western Union and gift money transfers.

Okedokey

70oC is not high for a GPU.

I dont believe that your GPU is causing this. To me it looks like a PSU going out of spec by heat derating. What Power Supply Unit do you have (model number and brand)?

Last edited:

Okedokey

Well thats a good power supply unit and should be suitable. Before replacing the graphics card though, I would suggest you test the 12V rail during 3DMark testing and ensure that the 12V rail doesnt droop too far. PSUs can fail, and yours has a 5 year warranty so if it is failing you can replace it.

Since you can play other games, I would try everything else prior to replacing the GPU, e.g. windows reinstall, update motherboard bios, fresh install of graphics driver etc.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Since you can play other games, I would try everything else prior to replacing the GPU, e.g. windows reinstall, update motherboard bios, fresh install of graphics driver etc.

You did read that the fan is bad on his GPU, right?

Okedokey

You did read that the fan is bad on his GPU, right?

I read that it WAS bad. I didn't see him confirm that it is still, and that doesn't explain why he can play LOL. If a fan is failed, you wouldn't be able to even run 2D without it stopping.

Im not saying you're wrong, but there are avenues to investigate prior to getting someone to replace a graphics card.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
He never RMA'd his card. It is still bad. He puts a fan on the side of his computer to blow air across it. When he does this, he doesn't have a problem!

So, i tried upgrading my gpu, I've received the card but now im starting to hink either my house is a problem or it is the PSU, my computer will still not start up allt he time on the first try and, now the new gtx 670 video card won't spin when the computers fully on. Also when i plug my computer into my room it instnatly trips the circuit now im unsure what the real problem is, i really wanted a new graphics card so i had no problem replacing it, but now im unsure on what to replace and don't really want to spend any more money..