Can you help me identify the missing parts?

winston

Hello World,

Like I said in my introduction post, I am building a computer from parts I find in the streets (for the fun of learning). Last week I found this computer and it is missing a couple parts. I am planning on rebuilding this computer and the first step for me is to identify the parts that are missing. So far I think I am missing:

-Power supply
-HD or SSD
-RAM

I will include pictures so you can try to help me spot the other missing parts if you want.

Thank you very much!

1-compressed.jpg 2-compressed.jpg 3-compressed.jpg 4-compressed.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll need a video card as well since the cpu's that board supports doesn't have video. It requires DDR2 memory which really isn't cheap nowadays since its not made anymore. However, why are you taking a chance on this? What if the motherboard is shot?

winston

You'll need a video card as well since the cpu's that board supports doesn't have video. It requires DDR2 memory which really isn't cheap nowadays since its not made anymore. However, why are you taking a chance on this? What if the motherboard is shot?
ohh thank you, I did not realise that the graphic card was mandatory and that the old parts might actually be more expensive.. You are right, the board might be kaput... Thank you for the advice.

Found on the street? All I can find on the street is cardboard and dead hobos. Ok not dead but I would certainly not find an entire computer...

Say what now?
Yes I was very lucky to find it. Yes the board might be no good :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Deadpool

And what happens if the motherboard is not good? Is it because you are planning to buy the rest of the stuff? If so you shouldn't risk it.

I thought shot meant radioactive or something.

winston

And what happens if the motherboard is not good? Is it because you are planning to buy the rest of the stuff? If so you shouldn't risk it.

I thought shot meant radioactive or something.
You are right, I will only build this computer if I find the parts for free or really cheap (my goal is just to learn and have fun) and I will wait to build a proper computer later. For the moment I have no need since I have a new laptop and it is perfect for my needs.

mistersprinkles

ohh thank you, I did not realise that the graphic card was mandatory and that the old parts might actually be more expensive.. You are right, the board might be kaput... Thank you for the advice.

I have found better and complete computers. Honestly it's not really worth chancing getting this machine going. It's so old.
Even if you go used, which you pretty much have to, you can pick up a GPU for maybe $10-20 and the RAM is what is going to really cost you.

I also see a floppy (gasp) and no hard drive, which is another expense. Is it worth it? I mean, for $299 you can pick up a brand new entry level computer that will be better.

winston

I have found better and complete computers. Honestly it's not really worth chancing getting this machine going. It's so old.
Even if you go used, which you pretty much have to, you can pick up a GPU for maybe $10-20 and the RAM is what is going to really cost you.

I also see a floppy (gasp) and no hard drive, which is another expense. Is it worth it? I mean, for $299 you can pick up a brand new entry level computer that will be better.

I found some DDR2 sticks and a power supply! Do you guys know if power supplies are "universal"? Should the power supply I found fit any computer from the same era(2000-2006)?

Deadpool

I found some DDR2 sticks and a power supply! Do you guys know if power supplies are "universal"? Should the power supply I found fit any computer from the same era(2000-2006)?

Well there are different sizes. Maybe the 24 pin connector is a 20, but there are some CPUs that work with both. The case should br the bigger problem.

winston

I tried to connect my power supply (with ram installed) but no fan started (not psu, not cpu, not ventilation) all I have is a solid yellow led on the motherboard. I am including a picture of the only 3 connections I managed ton make. Do you know what my problem may be? Thank you.

Attachments

• 20170222_164744 (1)-min (1).jpg
    20170222_164744 (1)-min (1).jpg
    414.1 KB · Views: 4

Deadpool

I can see you have a 4pin cable in the 8pin CPU plug. And a 20 in the 24. You should check if that motherboard can work with only a 20pin connector on it. I recently bought an FM2+ setup that could work with only a 20pin, even when the motherboard had 24. but I don't know about your motherboard.

The 8pin connector should not be an issue. The reason why its even used is for legal reasons. That should not be the problem.

Maybe the PSU just doesn't have enoug wattage? Or its broken?

winston

All right, thank you a lot, I just wanted to confirm that this is not something normal. I will start debugging :p

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The motherboard may be toast, especially if you are finding parts in streets and trash. Not a good thing to be doing.

winston

The motherboard may be toast, especially if you are finding parts in streets and trash. Not a good thing to be doing.

Yes it is very true.. :/ The only reason I am using these parts is because I allready have a computer (laptop) and I do not have a real need for a desktop at the moment. I just want to learn the way to build a computer for when I build a decent one (next year or so). Do you recommend I save my time instead and just sell the parts I find (cpus, memory, graphic cards, psu) to save money for the real one?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you can verify a part works, you can't sell it. You are putting money into something that most likely won't work. Save your money so you can buy a decent machine. Besides some of these older systems won't support windows 10.

Deadpool

I mean I think if it´s just a hobby, then go for it. It´s not like you are gonna get AIDS from building a PC with found parts (just kidding, wear gloves dude :p). Do not spend a dollar on those machines.

Also what John said. Do not sell parts that you don´t know if they work. Do not become one of those guys.

winston

Unless you can verify a part works, you can't sell it. You are putting money into something that most likely won't work. Save your money so you can buy a decent machine. Besides some of these older systems won't support windows 10.

True, plus I don't think a lot of people want these old parts haha. My problem is that I am either all in or all out (like when I use those scrap parts). When I build a tower I want it to be really good and future proof and I can't justify spending 1-2k on a pc when I have a laptop and workstations at university.

Btw I am more of a Linux guy ;)

winston

I mean I think if it´s just a hobby, then go for it. It´s not like you are gonna get AIDS from building a PC with found parts (just kidding, wear gloves dude :p). Do not spend a dollar on those machines.

Also what John said. Do not sell parts that you don´t know if they work. Do not become one of those guys.
That's it, at the moment its really just a hobby for now since I don't really need another computer. You don't have to worry, I will never sell a bad quality part ! :p I have very high quality stadards for everything I sell (mostly repaired lawmowers).

Thank you again to you two guys for replying to a noob like me :D

beers

Staff member
I tried to connect my power supply (with ram installed) but no fan started (not psu, not cpu, not ventilation) all I have is a solid yellow led on the motherboard. I am including a picture of the only 3 connections I managed ton make. Do you know what my problem may be? Thank you.
How the hell old is that power supply? The old 20 pin ones were prior to the jump to PCI-E for AGP boards and prior like 13-14 years ago.