Can you help me identify the missing parts?

winston

How the hell old is that power supply? The old 20 pin ones were prior to the jump to PCI-E for AGP boards and prior like 13-14 years ago.
It must be a pretty old one XD. I don't get it, I have two desktops (with psu, ram, gpu, motherboard, cpu) and when I try to start them up the fans spin for 1 second then they stop.. What could the problem be?

Deadpool

It must be a pretty old one XD. I don't get it, I have two desktops (with psu, ram, gpu, motherboard, cpu) and when I try to start them up the fans spin for 1 second then they stop.. What could the problem be?

I used to have that problem. The most common cause is the PSU. Some other times could be the CMOS battery.

Deadpool

Allright, thank you. I saw on the internet that sometimes it can be the memory is that true?

Well the RAM can cause problems booting when it´s not properly placed on the slots, or there is damaged RAM or slots. Steps to troubleshoot:

Option 1 (I saw you have 4 slots and don´t know how many sticks, I´ll just assume is 2):

1. Remove both sticks
2. Place only one in slot n°1
3. Try to boot
4. Repeat the process placing the RAM on all 3 remaining slots and try to boot every time.
5. Repeat the process with the 2nd stick.

If the problem persists, then it´s not the RAM, unless all slots are damaged and all DIMMS are damaged, which wouldn´t be surprising knowing how you got your hands on that thing.

Option 2 (The HDD, some HDDs are damaged by liquid and prevent boot):

1.Just remove the drive and see if it boots.

If everything fails look for signs of liquid damage on the motherboard (It´s pretty obvious, it looks like fungus or some crap).

You should also try cleaning fans and applying thermal paste (I wouldn´t do it, since you are not sure and you´d have to spend 4-5 dollars on that, waaaaaaaay more than you should actually use on that... thing). :p

winston

Well the RAM can cause problems booting when it´s not properly placed on the slots, or there is damaged RAM or slots. Steps to troubleshoot:

Option 1 (I saw you have 4 slots and don´t know how many sticks, I´ll just assume is 2):

1. Remove both sticks
2. Place only one in slot n°1
3. Try to boot
4. Repeat the process placing the RAM on all 3 remaining slots and try to boot every time.
5. Repeat the process with the 2nd stick.

If the problem persists, then it´s not the RAM, unless all slots are damaged and all DIMMS are damaged, which wouldn´t be surprising knowing how you got your hands on that thing.

Option 2 (The HDD, some HDDs are damaged by liquid and prevent boot):

1.Just remove the drive and see if it boots.

If everything fails look for signs of liquid damage on the motherboard (It´s pretty obvious, it looks like fungus or some crap).

You should also try cleaning fans and applying thermal paste (I wouldn´t do it, since you are not sure and you´d have to spend 4-5 dollars on that, waaaaaaaay more than you should actually use on that... thing). :p
Wow thank you for the support ! I will try what you told me but I think I will also stop bugging you guys with this project XD. I know that it's nearly impossible for anyone to help because all the components are **%? and literally any parts could be toasted. I will continue wandering on the forum to learn and I will come back for your advice on a serious build later :p. (If I manage to get a working pc from these scrap parts I will show it on here haha). Thanks again!

Deadpool

Wow thank you for the support ! I will try what you told me but I think I will also stop bugging you guys with this project XD. I know that it's nearly impossible for anyone to help because all the components are **%? and literally any parts could be toasted. I will continue wandering on the forum to learn and I will come back for your advice on a serious build later :p. (If I manage to get a working pc from these scrap parts I will show it on here haha). Thanks again!

So you made me write all that crap for nothing? At least try it man! :D

Deadpool

I just said that I will try! :D I also said that I will stop bothering you guys with questions that have no anwsers haha

Damn I didn´t read that part. Listen if that doesn´t work then it´s probably the PSU. You could also check for blown capacitors or burnt MOSFETs, but I don´t think you could replace capacitors. It´s pretty complicated. Good luck.-

winston

So now the cpu fan starts and stays on but when I connect the computer to a (working) minitor I have no signal. Is this normal since I don't have a drive installed? I have ram and a gpu installed.

Okedokey

No it should boot at least to the bios regardless of HDD installed or not. Haven't read all the posts, have you tried to clear the cmos?

Deadpool

So now the cpu fan starts and stays on but when I connect the computer to a (working) minitor I have no signal. Is this normal since I don't have a drive installed? I have ram and a gpu installed.

Should go to BIOS. What did you try to do when troubleshooting? Did you try using a different CMOS battery?

winston

OMG guyssss it works ! :))))))))))))) (I changed the cmos battery since it was flat but it was not clipped properly). I am going to make a bootable usb with lubuntu and check if it workss. Thank you again to all of you for helping me even if I used boring low end scrap parts! :D

Last edited:

Deadpool

OMG guyssss it works ! :))))))))))))) (I changed the cmos battery since it was flat but it was not clipped properly). I am going to make a bootable usb with lubuntu and check if it workss. Thank you again to all of you for helping me even if I used boring low end scrap parts! :D

Yay points to Deadpool :cool:

winston

All I need is a hard drive! I will get one this week and then I will present you the "0$ ultra-budget computer" with all the specs haha.1-min.jpg

Deadpool

All I need is a hard drive! I will get one this week and then I will present you the "0$ ultra-budget computer" with all the specs haha.

Poor bastard, he thinks CoFo assistance is free. Your bill shall be arriving shortly. It amounts to $1523,23.

Joking aside, that´s awesome.

Edit: You should change your signature now.