Cannot Burn DVD discs, just DVD-RW's

Da Mail Man

greetings all,

very unique problem :(here that i am encountering!...

.... i have win xp pro, 1gb ram, 300+ sata hd....3.6ghz processor speed...

.....in each and every case i have attempted to burn a dvd (files) onto a dvd disc and it has FAILED:mad:..... however, everything being the same if i use dvd-rw discs i get a successful burn!:confused:

i have tried 4 different types of dvd discs (not the rw's) and at varying speeds and usually at the lowest, and each time the disc has crapped out EXCEPT when i use DVD-RW'S!...

..i have used a few burning programs (i.e. nero, etc) and get the same results so, it is not an issue with the burning programs....

... i have a older CYBERLINK 16x dvd+/-r/rw, 8.5gb dual layer writer (as taken from the faceplate)...

...how do i fix this problem?...the writer obviously works but, only with "rw" discs........any help would be appreciated! **I AM NOT LOOKING TO BUY A NEW BURNER, JUST ONLY TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM.**

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

With the prices on dvd burners down low at this point in time the obvious best move is to go for a new drive. Here I can burn dvds but won't get anywhere with rws. That's a switch! Sony-NEC, LG, Lite-On, Asus are some of the better brands to go through for under $40 at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...025+1036506653+1037608017+1037127054&name=20X

..thanks for he reply however, i was looking for a resolution to the problem, not to run away from it to buy a new burner! (your response is well taken!):D

Last edited:

dznutz

microcenter has a samsung 20x oem for 20 dollars.

as for the solution that's the best solution. i haven't seen any fix regarding your issue using a registry edit, cleaning, format, firmware upgrade, etc.

Da Mail Man

microcenter has a samsung 20x oem for 20 dollars.

as for the solution that's the best solution. i haven't seen any fix regarding your issue using a registry edit, cleaning, format, firmware upgrade, etc.

thanks for reply..not interested in the "replacement" as stated above. i too cannot figure out why this is happening.

dznutz

find the manufacturer.

you can use:
- nero info tool or equivalent
- everest
- open my computer, right click on the hard drive, choose properties, click hardware, locate your burner, google that name with the word "firmware"

Da Mail Man

find the manufacturer.

you can use:
- everest
- open my computer, right click on the hard drive, choose properties, click hardware, locate your burner, google that name with the word "firmware"

....ok, i will give that a shot......

Da Mail Man

find the manufacturer.

you can use:
- everest

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
doesn't tell me much!

dvd1.jpg

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
You forgot the drivers tab in the screen shot there. I think that's what dznutz is referring to there mainly a need for an updated driver for the drive itself. When first setting up XP or now Vista the first search online for all updates will generally include any for hardwares detected during that time.

The burner itself apparently was designed for the older media and won't recognise the newer format. It's like going from the old 60min. cd-r to 74min and now 80min. in some ways. Older media won't work on newer drives. And sometime newer media simply won't work on older ones. You're caught inbetween there.

Da Mail Man

You forgot the drivers tab in the screen shot there. I think that's what dznutz is referring to there mainly a need for an updated driver for the drive itself. When first setting up XP or now Vista the first search online for all updates will generally include any for hardwares detected during that time.

The burner itself apparently was designed for the older media and won't recognise the newer format. It's like going from the old 60min. cd-r to 74min and now 80min. in some ways. Older media won't work on newer drives. And sometime newer media simply won't work on older ones. You're caught inbetween there.

....thanks for the reply......i will rel-ook at the tabs again...

Da Mail Man

PC eye

banned
I'm still trying to figure out why I see the "no media inserted" message when tossing in a dvd-rw fron a new container on a new sata model burner for drag and drop operations not permanent burns. That way I can add or remove items until dedicing on a regular data disk burn.

PC eye

banned
When the first cd-rws were coming out I tried some there years back but simply ended up with the Rs having them left open for multiple sessions when planning to add more to a burned disk. Buying in large 100cd-r containers the cost is low enough in the event of any frisbie contest. :p

Despite not being able to use the rws here I generally burn data disks for long term storage. So far I've used Sony branded drives for several years now and never seen one fail. This is why the advice on looking at a new drive would be the most likely end result there as well.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I had a problem almost exactly like this: my NEC DVD-CD combo burner would work fine with everything except (after six months) CD-RW's. I uninstalled and reinstalled all my burning software (Roxio, Nero 6, DeepBurner), firmware, even reformatted and reinstalled Windows twice; I tried four different brands of discs, too.

The only solution that worked was... replacing the burner.