Cannot Burn DVD discs, just DVD-RW's

PC eye

banned
Here the dvd burner is a new sata model over the old ide type and still refuses to see an rw disk while speedily burns a data dvd on the R type. What gets you is the Sony brand name on the blank rws! For an older brand drive not seeing the Rs the option is essentially down to the one choice there.

MightyKing

Yeah I had a very similar problem. I tried Nero 7, 8, MagicIso, PowerIso, Roxio, etc... etc... etc...

Only one thing fixed the problem.... I stopped using that optical drive for burning and began using my laptop to do the burning. I will probably have to change the optical drive.

PC eye

banned
I went through a full container of 50 blank rws and got nowhere just with the Windows popup messsages of no disk in drive! I imagine that is what is being seen with the Rs on the Cyberlink model there. It's likely due to the lazer itself simply not recognising the format of the disk itself.

PC eye

banned
If it wasn't for mainly burning data backups or working on video projects I would have been pulling hair trying to find out just why a new drive was running into this type of problem with their own brand name on the blanks!

The regular Rs burn as well as any other blank media tryed out while the rws are not seen? Should I add a third optical drive? :eek: :p

PC eye

banned
Gee? The cd writer simply sees the SOF II game disk left in there for some occasional gaming while the dvd burner is generally used for everything else since that is designated the D drive through the Disk Management tool. But first I would have to remove the current Vista drive(ide) to allow for a 3rd optical there or lose a sata port for that anyways.

Another ide optical on a board with 6 sata ports? :confused: no thanks! :rolleyes: Eventually maybe I'll find a drive ... maybe I could swap optical drives with Da Mail Man? That would solve everyone's problem! :p

dznutz

so both your drives can't see rw or is it just the sony drive?

sony pc burners are made by many companies but mostly by liteon.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...&hddvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=50&Search=Search

same goes for sony dvd media. made by a bunch of companies. however, sony media made in japan that are not by TAIYO YUDEN is made by sony.
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?d...s=50&search=Search or List Media&next=50#next

as long as your firmware is up to date it should recognize and burn most media out there even if both media and burner are not made by the same company..... unless there's some sort of defect.

MightyKing

Perhaps this is all just a nightmare that eventually you will wake up and realize that your optical drives work perfectly...

PC eye

banned
Both the ide cd writer and sata dvd burner have Sony on them here. The cd writer most likely made by Lite-On while the sata dvd burner is Sony-NEC. In the last case with an ide dvd burner(Lite-On) the exact same thing was seen with the Sony model there.

Here this has been limited to the one container of dvd-rws making me assume a bad batch of blanks while Da Mail Man has idencated trying out different brands as well as containers of Rs and not getting anywhere there. For the Cyberlink drive there I have to assume the worst with the drive itself as the problem.

A low cost replacement compared to seeing as much as $150-$180 retail price tags on drives not too many years ago now for under $40 as a rule is the obvious answer.