Cannot Correctly Boot My PC Up!

Nathan Brannon

About three months ago i did a FACTORY reset on my PC and it crashed, i think, in the middle of the reset and now i am no longer able to correctly boot my pc up!

When ever i try to boot it, it will say:
"Preparing Automatic Repair"

but that repair does nothing! it then moves on after loading for a bit to a blank CMD and then to the blue
"Choose an Option" page

I have the options of
Continue
use a device
use another operating system
Troubleshoot
Turn off your PC

Inside of Troubleshoot
There is Reset This PC
and Advanced options

Inside of advanced options there is
System restore
system image recovery
startup repair
command prompt
UEFI Firmware settings
Startup Settings
Go back to the previous build

Most of these do NOTHING

I am able to boot up debug commands
I am able to boot from a USB
I am able to boot fomr a DVD or CD

When pressing esc to see my other options
i can also
open up these menus:
System Information
System Diagnostics
Boost Device Options
BIOS settings
System Recovery

System Startup Settings is an option i can use and it has a more options to choose from
1 Enable Debugging
2 Enable Bootlogging
3 Enable Low-res video
4 Safe Mode
5 Safe mode with network
6 Safe mode with cmd
7 Disable driver signature enforcement
8 Disable early launch anti-malware protection
9 disable auto restart after failure
10 Launch recovery Enviornment

What i have tried:
The system is not able to auto repair itself at all, which i understand

-I dont have any other operating systems as they were all flushed with the Reset
-Reset this PC does nothing, it will work for a small amount of time, then give me an error
-System restore will not work, as All restore points were flushed
-System image recovery i could never get to work, andi have no system images on my drives
-Start up repair does nothing
-I have tried using Command Prompt countless times but yet i still can not find any breakthoughs
-UEFI Firmware Settings will not help me at all, it is about as good as pressing a button that does nothing, or so thats what i think
-Going back to a previous build also does nothing, as their is nothing to go back to

If anyone could help me with this, i would appreciate it A LOT
i am about to go on a vacation with some friends, and having this to help me with my job and schoolwork is going to make my life a lot easier

Okedokey

First make sure you bios settings are correct. They may have been altered during the reset you refer too. Make sure they're ACHI and the correct boot drive is primary.

Second, if there is nothing on the machine you need to recover I would recommend a fresh install. What OS did you have?

If you need to recover, then download the correct Windows ISO and go into SAFE mode with command prompt. Open command prompt as administrator and type checkdisk. Let it finish and restart normally.

Nathan Brannon

First make sure you bios settings are correct. They may have been altered during the reset you refer too. Make sure they're ACHI and the correct boot drive is primary.

Second, if there is nothing on the machine you need to recover I would recommend a fresh install. What OS did you have?

If you need to recover, then download the correct Windows ISO and go into SAFE mode with command prompt. Open command prompt as administrator and type checkdisk. Let it finish and restart normally.
Hi, and thanks

I changed the bios to ACHI mode

I have tried booting from a usb drive to do a fresh install of windowS, but each time it would crash before finishing

There isn't really anything i needed to keep

The os was Windows 10.1

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The os was Windows 10.1
There is no 10.1 OS. You either have 8.1 or 10. If there is no data to keep then reinstall windows fresh using the installation media. You could spend hours trying to get it fixed and not get anything accomplished. A reinstall only takes 30 minutes and you are on your way.

Last edited:

Nathan Brannon

There is no 10.1 OS. You either have 8.1 or 10. If there is no data to keep then reinstall windows fresh using the installation media. You could spend hours trying to get it fixed and not get anything accomplished. A reinstall only takes 30 minutes and you are on your way.
Aha, you're right!
I mixed up windows 10 and 8.1 and combined them into one, my bad.
Yeah i have windows 10

Okay, ill try it.

Nathan Brannon

Nathan Brannon

Use the installer to delete all the partitions and start over.
Okay, so i deleted all the partitions.. At least it didnt blue screen this time

"Windoes cannot install required files. make sure all files required for installation are avalible, and restart the installation. Error code. 0x8007025D

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
This is either a bad memory stick or possibly you have a piece of bad hardware attached to system. Remove any usb devices not needed to install windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now I'm not talking about your usb stick, I'm talking about the laptop memory. Just wanted to make sure you understood me with your last post.

Nathan Brannon

Now I'm not talking about your usb stick, I'm talking about the laptop memory. Just wanted to make sure you understood me with your last post.
# Tests passed: 4/48 (8%)

Lowest error address: 0x2702E4770 (9986MB)
highest Error Address: 0x31A716DF8 (12711MB)
Bits in Error Mask: 0000140000091400
Bits in error -
Total: 6
Min: 0
Max: 0
Avg: 0
Max contiguous error: 1

(Also elapsed time 17:00:57 LOL)

Test. Errors
0. 0
1. 1954
2. 1973
3. 40179
4. 160133
5. 200034
6. 13024
7. 642256
8. 78771
9. 20060
10. 40041
13. 431515

CPU:
Cpu type: intel core i7-4510u. 2.00GHz
Cpu clock: 1974 MHz (turbo: 2793.6 Mhz)
Cpu temp: 67C <this is a bit hotter then normal just cause it has been on all night>
# Logical Processors: 4
L1 Cache: 4 x 64k (104105 MB/s)
L2 Cache: 4 x 256k (29332 MB/s)
L3 Cache: 4096K (20911 MB/s)

Memory:
Total physical memory: 12532M (13305 MB/s)
Memory latency: 31.232 ns
Ecc Enabled: N/A (unknown)

Memory Caching: Enabled

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like you have memory errors. Can you post a screenshot of this?

This is what you should be seeing. Anything in red at the bottom means you have memory errors and memory needs to be replaced.

errors.jpg

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to rerun the test. I just wanted to make sure that you are actually seeing the screen I posted. If you have any thing in red that means you have errors and the memory needs to be replaced. Once you replace the bad ram with good ram, then you should be able to boot up windows or it may be so corrupt now you may need to reinstall.

Nathan Brannon

You don't need to rerun the test. I just wanted to make sure that you are actually seeing the screen I posted. If you have any thing in red that means you have errors and the memory needs to be replaced. Once you replace the bad ram with good ram, then you should be able to boot up windows or it may be so corrupt now you may need to reinstall.
I took out all but three ram sticks and ran the memory test until i got no errors, when i got no errors my pc still did not boot up, and the window media tool to re install windows 10, still failed with the same error