Cant burn CDRWs

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure if anyone can help but here goes:

Drives used to burn
LG 16x10x40, Firmware Unknown (havnt checked)
ASUS 522452A, Firmware 1.40 (latest)
Pioneer 106D, Firmware 1.07 (unsure if a newer one exists)

Drives use to Read
LG 16x10x40
ASUS 52252A
Pioneer 106D
Toshiba GDR8081N Firmware 2.21 (laptop)
Pioneer 107, Firmware Unknown
Plextor 708A, Firmware Unknown

Media In Question
Verbatim 650MB HighSpeed 12X CDRW (ATIP: Mitsubishi)
Prodisc 700MB HighSpeed 10X CDRW (ATIP: CMC)
Mitsubishi 650MB UltraSpeed 24X CDRW (ATIP: Mitsubishi)

Burning Apps Used
Nero 6.3.1.20
CDRWIN 5.05.001
Alcohol120 1.92.1705
Discjuggler 4.10.1140

Disc Format's Tested
- DataCD (ISO & Joliet), TAO & DAO & DAO/96
- CD Images (ISO Mode1/2048, BIN Mode1/2352, MDF, CDI)
- Multisession as well as non-multisession

ASPI
4.60.1021 and Force1.8 (4.72.1)

Problem
Regardless of what drive/app/type-of-disc I burn, the program will report "Burn Successful" yet the disc will either (a) spin forever in the drive without contents being detected or (b) be empty. No I am not "simulating". While this isnt a horrible problem for me. I would like to figure out the source of the problem.

Additional Info
- Burning/reading DVDs is not affected
- Using CDRIdentifier 1.63 causes the machine to hardboot instantly. ATIP is read via Alcohol120
- Drives are in DMA
- OS is WXP SP1, IMAPI service is disabled
- Burn speed is 4X-12X

Jeepers79

Wait a minute?
I saw that Praetor was the last poster, and figured you responded... but you need the help! LOL! WIsh I chould help you after all the help I have gotten here... :)
To the top for you!

Mike

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
LOL thx .... its not so much of a problem for me as i dont actually use CDs much anymore and just chuck files around the network when im at home and drag HDDs/Laptop with me when on the move but I just came across this problem today (i guess only because i decided to burn something today) and and kinda curious to its origin/solution :p

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I had some problems with CD-RW disks, so I don't use them at all. Even for file transfers I use CD-Rs. And when a disk fills up I just throw it away. :cool:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i thought so too but this is on discs that ive already used dozens of times each.

ADDITIONAL INFO
I can read CDRWs that ive burned a long time ago ... just none anytime recently. Hmmm ill format a couple times see how it works out.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The lens got dirty on 10 drives? :p 'sides i can burn CDRs and DVDs with the drives ... just these High and Ultra CDRWs causing problems .... more info:
- It seems that the Pioneer106 and the ASUS are the "problemsome" drives. Any CDRWs burnt via them cannot be read by any drive period. Since they are both in the same tower I'll format a few times we'll see

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
- Im not a smoker so thats not a concern.
- Formatting didnt alleviate the problem
- More info: the Pioneer doesnt even detect any CDRW media that ive burned since this anomoly. It detects discs that were successfully burnt in the past.
- Further tested on DISC 2X RW (ATIP: PRODISC) and Memorex 4X RW (ATIP: PRODISC) with no luck
- Nero's CD Speed fails to create a Data Disc for testing at roughly the 50min marker

Praetor said:
Not sure if anyone can help but here goes:

Drives used to burn

Drives use to Read
LG 16x10x40
ASUS 52252A
Pioneer 106D
Toshiba GDR8081N Firmware 2.21 (laptop)
Pioneer 107, Firmware Unknown
Plextor 708A, Firmware Unknown

Media In Question
Verbatim 650MB HighSpeed 12X CDRW (ATIP: Mitsubishi)
Prodisc 700MB HighSpeed 10X CDRW (ATIP: CMC)
Mitsubishi 650MB UltraSpeed 24X CDRW (ATIP: Mitsubishi)

Burning Apps Used
Nero 6.3.1.20
CDRWIN 5.05.001
Alcohol120 1.92.1705
Discjuggler 4.10.1140

Disc Format's Tested
- DataCD (ISO & Joliet), TAO & DAO & DAO/96
- CD Images (ISO Mode1/2048, BIN Mode1/2352, MDF, CDI)
- Multisession as well as non-multisession

ASPI
4.60.1021 and Force1.8 (4.72.1)

Problem
Regardless of what drive/app/type-of-disc I burn, the program will report "Burn Successful" yet the disc will either (a) spin forever in the drive without contents being detected or (b) be empty. No I am not "simulating". While this isnt a horrible problem for me. I would like to figure out the source of the problem.

Additional Info
- Burning/reading DVDs is not affected
- Using CDRIdentifier 1.63 causes the machine to hardboot instantly. ATIP is read via Alcohol120
- Drives are in DMA
- OS is WXP SP1, IMAPI service is disabled
- Burn speed is 4X-12X

1. Are you using Nero?
2. Is your burner burns correctly with CD-R drives?
3. There might be a fault with all burners
4. Is your pwer supply powerful enough?
5. Have you tried another burner to see if it works?
6. Is your copy of the burning program you're using might be corrupted?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Question said:
1. Are you using Nero?
Answer said:
Nero 6.3.1.20

Question said:
Is your burner burns correctly with CD-R drives?
Burning CD-R media is successful.

Question said:
There might be a fault with all burners
That is extremely unlikely and its more likely that there would be a complete media failure rather than selective failure as such

Question said:
Is your pwer supply powerful enough?
Yes

Question said:
Have you tried another burner to see if it works?
Answer said:
Drives used to burn

Question said:
Is your copy of the burning program you're using might be corrupted?
No. Ive done multiple reformats each time to ensure thats not a possibility. Furthermore, the odds of a simultaneous failure of numerous programs as noted is unlikely

1. Try other CD-RW brands
2. Try your LG
3. Cook your CD-RWs and see if it eatable! :p I'm just hungry!
4. Any deep scratches?
5. How old is your motherboard?
6. Did you clean the laser?
7. Does your burners support CD-RW burning. If no, then that's why they have unreadable CDs.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Try other CD-RW brands
And which ATIP might you suggest I try? Mitsubishi is easily the 2nd more reliable maker of CDRWs. In the interim ive type Taio Yuden discs (#1) with similar results

Try your LG
Dunno how you missed this twice,
Drives used to burn

Any deep scratches?
No scratches at all.

How old is your motherboard?
Its an ASUS A8V. The other mobos, A7N, A7N and AA8 offered identical results

Did you clean the laser?
Naturally this wouldnt be an issue as burning CDRs and reading media would be affected

Does your burners support CD-RW burning. If no, then that's why they have unreadable CDs.
LOL this is just a shot in the dark right?

1. Try Maxell
2. clean your lasers
3. I thought you haven't checked the burner. Sorry
4. Hammer them until they're into pieces and buy new ones.
5. If they are old, it might be harder to burn CD-RWs. Buy a new one.

deathbysunshine

jesus, we are going nowhere with this one. ur using multiple different programs to try and burn the rws, correct? maybe if ur using just one then it could be something wrong with the way it is set up, and continues to setup by default or something (because it still didnt work after you formatted)
but if this is not any help than neither am i.
im hungry too by the way

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Try Maxell
Maxell doesnt make media. And yes I do realize what I just said.

clean your lasers
Lasers arent an issue, burning CDR and DVDR(W) would then be a problem

If they are old, it might be harder to burn CD-RWs. Buy a new one.
As noted these are Mitsubishi and TY discs. Not CMC/Princos. And after dealing with ~10000 discs, Im sure I know how to handle them.

jesus, we are going nowhere with this one. ur using multiple different programs to try and burn the rws, correct? maybe if ur using just one then it could be something wrong with the way it is set up, and continues to setup by default or something (because it still didnt work after you formatted)
but if this is not any help than neither am i.
im hungry too by the way
The programs dont matter independently or concurrently.

As I said also, try a new burner
Trying a new burner would not help in determining what the problem is with the current burner.

Burners defective. Buy a new one. It's obvious. How old are they?
Obviously it's not obvious. (FYI I'm also a Mod at cd-rw.org so I know my stuff when it comes to optical media) Furthermore, by reccomending that I consider Maxell discs, its obvious to me that its not obvious [to you] (or at least it shouldnt be)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ahmmm...

I am afraid I cannot help you much man...but I could say this. Whenever I tried to use High Speed CD-RWs on my Aopen CRW5224, I have failed. It should have been able to burn at 24 x and does so only on the one RW supplied by Aopen! I have tried buying Verbatim High Speed RWs (24x) and that failed bad. They would just spin crazy or the burning process would seem fine but would be unreadable. I think that there is a serious compatibilty issue with RWs. Praetor, I suggest that you try burning at 4x for example and move up in speed (Use 4x certified media to try it out..move up to 16x etc). I really wanna see if there is a solution to this. I doubt that both derives are messed up.

JAN :D

dansilva

i have pioneer 106D and i have used it to burn sony cdrw (650mb) for all purposes data/mp3/audio it has worked successfull all occasions.