cant see videos?!?!

Mr.Suave

im not sure if this is the right spot but ya..

when i try to see a video online that is using windows media player i just get a black screen.... and i tried to play a video on it and i get the same blank screen but i can see videos if they are qicktime or a flash. what could be wrong with my windows media player?

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
you might need divx codecs, however i'm not sure if divx is suitable for streaming over the net. its worth a shot though

Mr.Suave

ty! ty! ty! it worked!!! yess!...only when playing from the comp...but not the internet :(

Last edited:

Hairy_Lee

VIP Member
thats odd, make sure that media player is set up to play streamed files cos i know that itunes/quicktime can screw that around sometimes. if its an avi you're trying to stream wait for it to fully load first cos i dont think that avi's are suitable for streaming, although i'm not sure about that

Mr.Suave

ugh.. well it was working and playing videos,but now that i restarted my comp its not playing them anymore. AAHH! wtf is wrong with my comp..i cant see videos or hear them(not even music but thats another problem)?!?!?!:confused: :confused: :confused: im going crazy....

magicman

VIP Member
Hairy Lee's right about avi's not streaming. You could try this: most embedded windows media player files, if you right click and select properties, you can often find out the location of the file on the web. If you use that to download the file direct to your desktop, you can see whether it's a codec problem by using the program AVICodec (http://avicodec.duby.info/ftp/AVIcodec_1.2_b110.exe). It analyses the file and tells you whether both the audio and video portions of the file are readable your computer.

By the way, even though it's called AVICodec, it works for pretty much all video file types, and i THINK all music files as well.

Mr.Suave

ok i did that AVIcodec and the vidoes i had it analys, said my comp supported it,but i still cant see the videos...

Mr.Suave

tryed XVID still cant see anything still :(

thx guys i appreiciate your help so far.. after xmas my dad is ganna have his computer tech guy from his work too look at my comp and fix the problems...i just have to wait 2-3 weeks :(

Mr.Suave

bump

anybody else have any ideas?...i wanna try and see if i can fix this problem myself so i wont have to have someone do it and take my comp.

spacedude89

hmm, i dont know if this helps, but when ever i watch wmv videos online, i have to switch to another tap and switch back, or minimize and unminimize before i can see the movie.

Vipernitrox

ive had the problem before try downloading the latest patch for your graphics card it worked for me
dont forget to download the installer of the version youve got right now coz the new ones might screw it up and wont work at all. also dont forget to restart your computer right after installing i know most programs say they need a restart and most of the times they dont but with this it does

Mr.Suave

spacedude89 said:
hmm, i dont know if this helps, but when ever i watch wmv videos online, i have to switch to another tap and switch back, or minimize and unminimize before i can see the movie.
tried that but still cant see anything.

Vipernitrox said:
ive had the problem before try downloading the latest patch for your graphics card it worked for me
dont forget to download the installer of the version youve got right now coz the new ones might screw it up and wont work at all. also dont forget to restart your computer right after installing i know most programs say they need a restart and most of the times they dont but with this it does
already do have the latest version. i can play games and watch flash and on qicktime just cant see/watch anything on winamp and windows media player.

Vipernitrox

tried reïnstalling media player? also some programs might block streaming videos like spyware blocker had some problems with that myself to. norton antivirus and other spyware blocking programs might be the problem.

Vipernitrox

you do need ur windows cd coz your gonna completely remove but you can do it by going to properties of ur hd and then you go to disk cleanup (or whatever you call it it english, ive got a dutch version) then you go to the second tab and press the top button where it says you can add or remove windows parts there you can uncheck windows media player.

btw in disk cleanup you can remove alot of crap u dont need it sometimes cleans up more than 3gb with me.

Mr.Suave

Vipernitrox said:
you do need ur windows cd coz your gonna completely remove but you can do it by going to properties of ur hd and then you go to disk cleanup (or whatever you call it it english, ive got a dutch version) then you go to the second tab and press the top button where it says you can add or remove windows parts there you can uncheck windows media player.

btw in disk cleanup you can remove alot of crap u dont need it sometimes cleans up more than 3gb with me.
i dont have my windows cd right now so i cant do it..

does anyone else have any other ideas what i can do to see videos??