Can't Unlock Window 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel A-S

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue whereby I've made a laptop leave a domain, which was successful, but when I rebooted the laptop comes up with a logon screen with only a single user - which I don't have the password for.

It won't give me any option to login as a different user.

I've tried restarting into safe mode, which just does the same thing.

I've tried running the 'net user' command from cmd using a Windows repair disk, it shows three users (Admin, DefaultUser and Guest) but doesn't show the user that comes up on the Windows login screen - so I can't reset the password of an account that's not showing up.

I tried some registry edits, I deleted all the registry entries under - [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList In the hope that it might clear any options back to default, but this didn't do anything.

I'm honestly stuck with this one. I have a feeling it's something to do with the local policy settings but I don't know how to get to gpedit.exe from cmd using a repair disk.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know.

Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
When you leave a domain, you need to know the local admin password after the reboot, otherwise you can't log in.

There's plenty of ways to clear a password. You just need to Google it, because we won't be helping with this (per FORUM RULES)

The alternative is to wipe and reinstall Windows from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.