Cas latency - which one to get and why?

I'd like to buy 16GB of RAM, but I am not so sure if I should pay more for CL12 if CL16 is fine @ 2400Mhz.

I'd buy two sticks of this:
https://www.pcx.hu/kingmax-8gb-ddr4-2400mhz-memoria-051313

Or a kit of this:
https://www.pcx.hu/kingston-hyperx-savage-2x8gb-ddr4-2400mhz-hx424c12sb2k2-16-memoria-931726

I am trying to cut a bit from the cost. Here is the build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XNydTH

Initial choice for motherboard is the Tomahawk. Now considering the PC Mate.

So, should I go with the savage or the Kingmax?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would be better off buying a kit of 2 sticks instead of 2 single sticks, could run into issues. You could get faster ram if its actually cheaper to do so.

I have a better question:
Should I get 3200Mhz RAM with CL16 or 2400Mhz with lower CL12? Kingston Savage or Predator

Agent Smith

There was three rules that I followed when purchasing RAM: Fastest speed possible, lowest CAS possible, and lowest voltage possible. But now I'm hearing faster speed doesn't mean jack. You'd probably do just fine with 2666 MHz RAM.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Faster ram gets to the point where you're not getting any noticeable gains due to bottlenecks elsewhere limiting performance.

Laquer Head

I just grabbed a 16GB kit of GSkill DDR4 3200mhz ram ..its 14-14-14-34 and was highest I was recommended to go with best timings for the price range I was willing to be in..

XMP profile set in BIOS and bam....its a beautiful thing

Darren

Staff member
I just grabbed a 16GB kit of GSkill DDR4 3200mhz ram ..its 14-14-14-34 and was highest I was recommended to go with best timings for the price range I was willing to be in..

XMP profile set in BIOS and bam....its a beautiful thing
3200MHz CAS 14? How much was that specific kit? Most 3200MHz kits are at least CAS 16 from what I've seen.

Laquer Head

Yeah G Skill is probably the only company I know that offers the tightest CAS timings around.
There wasn't very many options in the price point I wanted.. this kit was the best I could find at the time for the cost, speed, timings..etc..

And, as expected they were drop in, set XMP, one click and done!!

Very pleased as usual with GSkill ram!!!

EDIT: In fact I looked again just now and aside from a single kit of Corsair LPX, the only 3200mhz kits with cas 14 are GSkill... Ripjaws V, X, Z...etc

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Darren

Staff member
Yeah G Skill is probably the only company I know that offers the tightest CAS timings around.
Price difference is why I wasn't seeing much at that latency as I wasn't shopping anywhere near that. :p.

In USD that kit is 40 dollars more than mine, 140 vs 180, for a CAS latency 2 lower. Not worth IMO.

Laquer Head

Price difference is why I wasn't seeing much at that latency as I wasn't shopping anywhere near that. :p.

In USD that kit is 40 dollars more than mine, 140 vs 180, for a CAS latency 2 lower. Not worth IMO.

I'm definitely glad you got what works for you.